The Technology Thread

UKTexans

2 minutes ago, RuskieTitan said:

Email and Paint, based on the budget.

Meh, it's not 2009 anymore, I have a $350 netbook that's capable of running StarCraft II.

If she's going to use it for browsing, basic streaming, word processing, etc, just get a netbook. Plenty of options, small sizes, good battery life.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cddolphin said:

What will she use it for?

Just normal computer/laptop use. She's a senior in college, and will be using it primarily for Microsoft office use.. internet browsing, average Netflix/Hulu streaming.. so nothing extreme at all. She's not a computer geek/nerd, so she just uses it like I had mentioned for average use. On any given day, her computer use would be checking email, working on a paper through Microsoft word, making/studying a power point slide, streaming/binge watching 5 episodes of Stranger Things.. so for the most part, normal laptop use for a 22 year old college student. She doesn't play games, so she doesn't need any laptop that would accommodate game playing.. she needs something more along the lines of what I had mentioned she does use it for. 

Thanks for all the help, guys.

43 minutes ago, coors said:

Just normal computer/laptop use. She's a senior in college, and will be using it primarily for Microsoft office use.. internet browsing, average Netflix/Hulu streaming.. so nothing extreme at all. She's not a computer geek/nerd, so she just uses it like I had mentioned for average use. On any given day, her computer use would be checking email, working on a paper through Microsoft word, making/studying a power point slide, streaming/binge watching 5 episodes of Stranger Things.. so for the most part, normal laptop use for a 22 year old college student. She doesn't play games, so she doesn't need any laptop that would accommodate game playing.. she needs something more along the lines of what I had mentioned she does use it for. 

Thanks for all the help, guys.

If she could deal with Google Docs instead of Office, it sounds like she'd do fine with a Chromebook. You can get a much nicer Chromebook at that price than you would a Windows laptop. 

3 hours ago, MrDrew said:

If she could deal with Google Docs instead of Office, it sounds like she'd do fine with a Chromebook. You can get a much nicer Chromebook at that price than you would a Windows laptop. 

Yup. I echo this sentiment 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

So I'm not much of a tech guy, but would a Chromebook be good for school age kids for homework and stuff like that?  They have iPads for games but they need something else to access their online assignments apparently.

Not sure if the most cost effective way of going about this.

Yes, go to Target 

1 hour ago, patdt13 said:

Wireless charger. I like anker products,

Case: I have a Tech21, I love it

Screen protector: any tempered glass

Bought a cheap ONN Wireless Charging Pad at Walmart for $10.  I guess we will see how it goes.  I'm pretty picky about my cases, I usually don't find what I'm looking for easily so I picked up a cheap one at Best Buy.

On 11/15/2017 at 5:03 AM, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

So I'm not much of a tech guy, but would a Chromebook be good for school age kids for homework and stuff like that?  They have iPads for games but they need something else to access their online assignments apparently.

Not sure if the most cost effective way of going about this.

Yeah Chromebook sounds like what you want.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, domepatrol91 said:

@LETSGOBROWNIES I’ve had a chromebook for like 3-4 years now and love it. Still runs fine. 

As long as all their homework can be accessed through the browser and doesn’t need any software or an app or anything, you should be good.

I think they may need Microsoft stuff, but I have no clue tbh.

On 11/13/2017 at 2:56 PM, MrDrew said:

What are the biggest differences between a Chromebook or a regular pc laptop?