The Technology Thread

UKTexans

1 hour ago, coors said:

What are the biggest differences between a Chromebook or a regular pc laptop?

A Chromebook uses Chrome OS instead of Windows. It's basically a Chrome browser to do everything. Since the OS is very basic, the hardware looks really weak in comparison to the average PC, but they actually run pretty fast. Most stuff is done online, so you don't need a lot of storage. Chrome OS is essentially  a browser with a desktop, so it doesn't need a crazy processor, or a lot of RAM. You wouldn't buy apps like Office for it, you'd use Google Docs online. Any apps that you can get for Chrome can be used, and some Android apps from the Google Play store.

Because you don't need crazy power, the cost stays way down. I have an 11" that I paid $110-$120 for, and both of my kids get by using it for school just fine. I use it for browsing. Best Buy has an even more powerful version in the BF sale for $120. If you want a bigger screen, the price will go up, but they top out at $400-$500. 

On 17/11/2017 at 2:22 PM, coors said:

What are the biggest differences between a Chromebook or a regular pc laptop?

A ChromeBook runs all your applications out of the web browser. Your OS becomes irrelevant because everything is a web app.

Ironically this is the fruition of the vision that Netscape founders Marc Andreessen and Jim Barksdale had in the 1990s and the reason why Microsoft went after them with such a vengeance.

Edited by milanb

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Silver&Black88 said:

Who's into Home-tech?  Echo/Echo Dot/Google Home, LifX/Phillips Hue, Nest, Chromecast/FireTV/Roku, etc?

Added Hue and Google Home to my setup this Christmas. Already had Chromecast. Pretty cool being able to turn the lights off/on with our voices and tell Google what to play on our TVs. Might eventually get the Nest thermostat as well.

1 hour ago, PatriotsWin! said:

Added Hue and Google Home to my setup this Christmas. Already had Chromecast. Pretty cool being able to turn the lights off/on with our voices and tell Google what to play on our TVs. Might eventually get the Nest thermostat as well.

II have a LifX on the way, they're a little brighter and don't need the bridge to work. A little more expensive but I'm ok with it for a proof of concept.  I have an Echo Dot and Home mini.  Forgot my Chromecast when I brought it back to the east coast for the holiday but so far, neither of them have been worth it for me.  I can use my PS4 for Netflix, the Home Mini can't cast music to a speaker without a Chromecast audio and Alexa is too dumb at most stuff I'd want to use it for. 

13 minutes ago, MrDrew said:

I've tried a few things. 

Such as?