The Technology Thread

UKTexans

I have a smart scale. May eventually upgrade it if one comes out with more features or something. But right now having my weight, body fat percentage and heart rate is good enough for me. It also automatically syncs to my HealthKit data, which is nice. 

I’m considering getting a Nest or Ecobee, but haven’t decided which one yet. I’m probably going to set up some sort of light automation system. And smart cookware (specifically a sous vide) is pretty high on my list.

I’m also in the process of getting the parts together for a home server that’s going to connect my movie and tv show library with all the TVs in my apartment and also give me access to it all when I’m on the go. Basically will be a personal Netflix system.

36 minutes ago, iPwn said:

I have a smart scale. May eventually upgrade it if one comes out with more features or something. But right now having my weight, body fat percentage and heart rate is good enough for me. It also automatically syncs to my HealthKit data, which is nice. 

I’m considering getting a Nest or Ecobee, but haven’t decided which one yet. I’m probably going to set up some sort of light automation system. And smart cookware (specifically a sous vide) is pretty high on my list.

I’m also in the process of getting the parts together for a home server that’s going to connect my movie and tv show library with all the TVs in my apartment and also give me access to it all when I’m on the go. Basically will be a personal Netflix system.

Unless you want to have to use different apps, go with stuff that's HomeKit compatible. It makes things so much easier. The security standards are a lot higher to be HomeKit certified too. 

Just now, MrDrew said:

Unless you want to have to use different apps, go with stuff that's HomeKit compatible. It makes things so much easier. The security standards are a lot higher to be HomeKit certified too. 

Already planned for that. HomeKit for everything I can. Anything that can’t, I’m going to get a Wemo hub or other HomeKit enabled hub.

52 minutes ago, iPwn said:

Intel NUC + Plex!

12 minutes ago, Mossburg said:

Intel NUC + Plex!

Plex is the plan. But I don’t want to be tied into something like the NUC for this. Transcoding video can be resource intensive, and when content starts getting to 4K on a larger scale, I don’t want to have to scrap my whole machine in a few years because the machine can’t transcode 4K down to my device outside the network. I want something with a clear upgrade path available.

Also want to get off DropBox for hosting my “everywhere” docs. So I’m probably going to do something to that end. Just want to figure out the right path for that too.

9 minutes ago, iPwn said:

Plex is the plan. But I don’t want to be tied into something like the NUC for this. Transcoding video can be resource intensive, and when content starts getting to 4K on a larger scale, I don’t want to have to scrap my whole machine in a few years because the machine can’t transcode 4K down to my device outside the network. I want something with a clear upgrade path available.

Also want to get off DropBox for hosting my “everywhere” docs. So I’m probably going to do something to that end. Just want to figure out the right path for that too.

I'd just make sure my content won't need transcoding. If not, go balls deep and assemble a more industrial server. The personal cloud server for small docs could be handled by almost anything.

It's definitely a cool project. I've dabbled in this, but I setup a more local cloud, I don't want to forward any ports. If I did, I'd probably setup a separate machine that's completely isolated from anything else on the network.

4 minutes ago, Mossburg said:

I'd just make sure my content won't need transcoding.

Captions are always going to have to be transcoded. Anything off the network, I believe, requires transcoding. Would also mean that every device would have to meet the standards for the file. Relatively easy now that all my devices are at 1080p and I haven’t moved to 4K for anything. But once I start dabbling in 4K, anything would have to be transcoded down from there.

And yeah, the personal cloud server will be easy on resources. Just want to spend a good amount of time getting security right and getting something that is easy to navigate on server and client sides; particularly mobile access. Something I can use to upload from mobile would be great too.

On 1/7/2018 at 5:31 PM, Silver&Black88 said:

Who's into Home-tech?  Echo/Echo Dot/Google Home, LifX/Phillips Hue, Nest, Chromecast/FireTV/Roku, etc?

I have a Nest Thermostat b/c if you live in an area that has all four seasons, it's honestly stupid not to have it. I bought mine when it was 50% off and w/in 7 months, it's already paid for itself. Just got two Nest Protects as well. Heard they are iffy about real time alerts and I have yet to test them at my house since we got them as a registry gift from our wedding but I'll find time to do it sometime. Just got an Echo Dot and a couple Home Minis as well. Don't really see the need for them but my coworkers say that'll change. Have  FireStick, a couple Rokus, and a Chromecast but the FireStick is the only one in use........ sheesh, after typing this out, I guess I am into HomeTech lol

Anyone know anything about 4K TV's?  This seems like a pretty good deal but I was hoping from some opinions from those who know more about them.  @iPwn and @MrDrew you both seem pretty tech smart looking through the thread.  Any help would be appreciated. 

http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/lg-43-inch-4k-led-hdr-smart-tv-43uj6300/apd/a9646971/tv-home-theater#polaris-pd

Edited by winitall

3 minutes ago, winitall said:

Anyone know anything about 4K TV's?  This seems like a pretty good deal but I was hoping from some opinions from those who know more about them.  @iPwn and @MrDrew you both seem pretty tech smart looking through the thread.  Any help would be appreciated. 

http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/lg-43-inch-4k-led-hdr-smart-tv-43uj6300/apd/a9646971/tv-home-theater#polaris-pd

I'd go bigger if you have the space and money but that's just me lol. It's got 3 HDMI ports which is an absolute minimum to me so that's a good start. I know it's not true 120 but you're not going to find many 4k TVs that are relatively cheap. IMO, it's not a bad buy.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, winitall said:

LG doesn't have the best quality control. You can either wind up with something that lasts forever, or it dies way faster than it should. I personally stay away from their products, but a good warranty can make it ok. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, JTagg7754 said:

I'd go bigger if you have the space and money but that's just me lol. It's got 3 HDMI ports which is an absolute minimum to me so that's a good start. I know it's not true 120 but you're not going to find many 4k TVs that are relatively cheap. IMO, it's not a bad buy.

Appreciate the feedback from you and @MrDrew. I’ve been looking more in the 50 inch range but haven’t been able to find any around 400 from a good brand. That or I just don’t know how to look.