The Technology Thread

UKTexans

5 hours ago, texans_uk said:

Just gonna bump this.

Pc is awful. It's "running" windows 10 (more like a light jog at best) and takes forever to process anything or open anything.

Absolute disaster.

What kind of specs does it have? It could be salvageable if you need more RAM or something like that.

9 hours ago, texans_uk said:

Just gonna bump this.

Pc is awful. It's "running" windows 10 (more like a light jog at best) and takes forever to process anything or open anything.

Absolute disaster.

The problem is that Windows has to open a process to open a process to open a process. That's not an exaggertation either. A Service Hots will open another Service Host to open the software you want. It's a very ineffieient OS.

More RAM will start to help, but it likes to use up what ever is available.

20 hours ago, Mossburg said:

Ubuntu time.

I really want to like Ubuntu.  I used to use it as my main OS in college when my laptop started to not age well.  But fast forward 10 years or so, and the last time i tried to install it on my PC the boot process was ridiculously long.  There was some sort of snag between my motherboard and that particular version of the OS that put it in a loop or something.  Not joking, it would literally take 10 minutes to boot.  That's not a figurative number, it's a measured number used to troubleshoot.

I finally decided it wasn't worth my time, kept W10, and moved on with my life.  Maybe i'll try it again in 5 years with a new computer and see how that works.

2 hours ago, theJ said:

I really want to like Ubuntu.  I used to use it as my main OS in college when my laptop started to not age well.  But fast forward 10 years or so, and the last time i tried to install it on my PC the boot process was ridiculously long.  There was some sort of snag between my motherboard and that particular version of the OS that put it in a loop or something.  Not joking, it would literally take 10 minutes to boot.  That's not a figurative number, it's a measured number used to troubleshoot.

I finally decided it wasn't worth my time, kept W10, and moved on with my life.  Maybe i'll try it again in 5 years with a new computer and see how that works.

There's a new LTS version that came out not long ago, might want to try it.

I actually don't use Ubuntu on my main machines anymore, I switched full time to Debian which I use for both gaming and everything else. I still like to use Xubuntu on an old laptop.

Edited by Mossburg

20 hours ago, Mossburg said:

There's a new LTS version that came out not long ago, might want to try it.

I actually don't use Ubuntu on my main machines anymore, I switched full time to Debian which I use for both gaming and everything else. I still like to use Xubuntu on an old laptop.

Thanks.  I usually have some time around Christmas to mess around with stuff like this.  I may try it then.

I've been avoiding the iOs update for iPhone for like 8 months, or however long it's been out. Dutifully pressing the "install later" button every few days ago. Yesterday they tricked me and I accidentally pressed "install now". Of course it reboots immediately without asking for confirmation. Now my phone switches bluetooth on the second I wake up (as if it took more than 1/5th of a second to swipe up and hit the button) just to give my battery a nice kick in the balls to start the day. I don't realize this until I'm in my car taking calls on my way to work. Oh btw, your phone will no longer sound notifications if it thinks you're driving, fun surprise!

Why does Apple do this to me? Now I have to waste life tweaking settings, when I could be wasting life ranting on an online forum instead.

8 hours ago, cddolphin said:

Why does Apple do this to me? Now I have to waste life tweaking settings, when I could be wasting life ranting on an online forum instead.

Probably due to your bad taste in women, or at least the misinformed way you go about it!

Still steamed!

Edited by Dome
  • Like 1

On 7/13/2018 at 10:51 AM, theJ said:

Thanks.  I usually have some time around Christmas to mess around with stuff like this.  I may try it then.

I'd recommend trying Debian Stable. The STABLE part is self explanatory. It's actually ridiculously reliable and I haven't had a single issue with it, using as a server, gaming machine, or any other casual use. The only issue is the repositories are super old for some stuff, but that's why it's stable, nothing gets updated until it's verified to not have issues. If Ubuntu's unstableness was turning you off, this is probably worth trying.

On 7/17/2018 at 8:21 AM, cddolphin said:

Now my phone switches bluetooth on the second I wake up (as if it took more than 1/5th of a second to swipe up and hit the button) just to give my battery a nice kick in the balls to start the day

Couple things. The Control Center toggle toggles Bluetooth connections off, not Bluetooth off. If you want it off, do so from the settings app.

Bluetooth also uses exactly zero battery unless it’s connected and in use. When connected and a device is in use, it uses 2.5mw. On a battery of 6900mw, assuming 10 hours of usage, that’s .3% of your total battery or about 2 minutes of usage if a bluetooth device is actively being used for the entire time. Again, this is non-existent if Bluetooth is on but not connected.

On 7/17/2018 at 8:21 AM, cddolphin said:

Oh btw, your phone will no longer sound notifications if it thinks you're driving, fun surprise!

Were you not presented with the iOS 11 setup screen when the update completed? It should have given you a few things to change and this was one of them.

VErO9Nk.jpg

6 minutes ago, pwny said:

Were you not presented with the iOS 11 setup screen when the update completed? It should have given you a few things to change and this was one of them.

I angrily skipped through everything and expected it to work well. Was that a mistake?

2 minutes ago, cddolphin said:

I angrily skipped through everything and expected it to work well. Was that a mistake?

Probably.

Some other things you might have to change/update because you just skipped past them

- Apple ID may need to re-authenticated in various sections of the settings app

- Apple Pay may not be fully set up

- Hey Siri

- True tone color

19 hours ago, Mossburg said:

I'd recommend trying Debian Stable. The STABLE part is self explanatory. It's actually ridiculously reliable and I haven't had a single issue with it, using as a server, gaming machine, or any other casual use. The only issue is the repositories are super old for some stuff, but that's why it's stable, nothing gets updated until it's verified to not have issues. If Ubuntu's unstableness was turning you off, this is probably worth trying.

I ran Debian Stable on my production servers for a long time. The problem with it in the early days was that the kernel didn't always have built-in support for basic things like NICs and RAID controllers. It's loads of fun installing an OS when the installer doesn't recognize your disk controller (you had to do a minimal install on an IDE or SATA drive, build a custom kernel with the proper drivers, rsync everything over to your RAID volume, then reconfigure LILO/Grub to boot from that RAID volume). And you were always running a kernel version that was 2-5 years old and didn't have the latest drivers. Similarly, your development tools were also 2-5 years out of date, which is a long time in the web development world. Mind you, RedHat and SUSE enterprise editions have more or less the same issues with ageing packages, and unlike Debian-based systems there is no easy way to upgrade the OS to a new version.

Quite honestly, I gave up on Debian as a workstation OS back in 2000. I ran flavour-of-the-month distros such as Mandrake and Storm Linux (a Canadian Debian-based distro aimed at the desktop) until Ubuntu hit the scene and blew away the competition on the desktop with a fantastic installer, great hardware support and current versions of e.g. Firefox,  Thunderbird, GIMP and OpenOffice. Of course, they managed to mess it up later by pushing their horrible Unity Desktop on everybody. A lot of people switched because of Unity, even though it was always fairly easy to install e.g. Gnome on Ubuntu and make it make it your default desktop. Thankfully, Ubuntu finally abandoned Unity in favour of Gnome 3 in the latest LTS version.

37 minutes ago, milanb said:

I ran Debian Stable on my production servers for a long time. The problem with it in the early days was that the kernel didn't always have built-in support for basic things like NICs and RAID controllers. It's loads of fun installing an OS when the installer doesn't recognize your disk controller (you had to do a minimal install on an IDE or SATA drive, build a custom kernel with the proper drivers, rsync everything over to your RAID volume, then reconfigure LILO/Grub to boot from that RAID volume). And you were always running a kernel version that was 2-5 years old and didn't have the latest drivers. Similarly, your development tools were also 2-5 years out of date, which is a long time in the web development world. Mind you, RedHat and SUSE enterprise editions have more or less the same issues with ageing packages, and unlike Debian-based systems there is no easy way to upgrade the OS to a new version.

Quite honestly, I gave up on Debian as a workstation OS back in 2000. I ran flavour-of-the-month distros such as Mandrake and Storm Linux (a Canadian Debian-based distro aimed at the desktop) until Ubuntu hit the scene and blew away the competition on the desktop with a fantastic installer, great hardware support and current versions of e.g. Firefox,  Thunderbird, GIMP and OpenOffice. Of course, they managed to mess it up later by pushing their horrible Unity Desktop on everybody. A lot of people switched because of Unity, even though it was always fairly easy to install e.g. Gnome on Ubuntu and make it make it your default desktop. Thankfully, Ubuntu finally abandoned Unity in favour of Gnome 3 in the latest LTS version.

Only issue I've run into with Debian Stable is manually installing wifi drivers on a nearly 10 year old laptop (which I use to test distros before I put it on anything else). I don't like using 4.9 kernel when I think 4.17 is already out, but it's the least trouble I've had with any Linux distro I've ever used so I consider it a more than fair trade. I've considered moving to Testing, might actually do it, but I can't believe how I basically have to do no troubleshooting for anything anymore and dunno if that will need to be done for the local cloud server.

Edited by Mossburg