The Technology Thread

UKTexans

41 minutes ago, theJ said:

You are weird.  I don't know how many times i am halfway down my street and think this, thus prompting me to turn around and verify that it's closed (it is 99.9% of the time).

I would always do it when we left for family vacations, lots on my mind.
We'd get halfway down the street and I'd go back to check and find that yes, it was closed. Every single time.
Now my daughter confirms closure before we leave and my OCD is assuaged. Glad to hear I'm not the only one

• Like 1

1 hour ago, theJ said:

You are weird.  I don't know how many times i am halfway down my street and think this, thus prompting me to turn around and verify that it's closed (it is 99.9% of the time).

Well you'd save yourself an immense amount of time if you waited the extra 3 seconds to see if the door hits the ground and stays there lol

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

I would always do it when we left for family vacations, lots on my mind.
We'd get halfway down the street and I'd go back to check and find that yes, it was closed. Every single time.
Now my daughter confirms closure before we leave and my OCD is assuaged. Glad to hear I'm not the only one

See..now this i can get behind.  Packing like 58 pairs of sucks for no reason...just in case.

But i always know that the garage door is closed.  So i've got that going for me.

Edited by Tugboat

• 5 months later...
On 8/29/2020 at 8:24 AM, twslhs20 said:

Well I'm in the market for a new laptop. Any suggestions on brands?

For Context this is what I had

https://www.newegg.com/aluminum-black-aorus-x5-v7-kl3k3d-gaming-entertainment/p/N82E16834725044R?Item=N82E16834725044R

Pulled from the WAYTA thread.

Dude, get a Dell.

Honestly, i don't know.  But i've had a bunch of Dell laptops over the years, and been pretty happy with them and their longevity.  I'm not really brand loyal, and have gone elsewhere for desktops and certainly shopped around for things.  They just always kinda end up meeting in the middle for what a i want, and what i want to pay.

Okay, so my theater basement is nearly finished.  Basically finished. 

I have an 82 inch Samsung Smart TV.  I want to get a Samsung sound system to go with it. 

I currently have a Vizio soundbar that I bought at Best Buy for 70 dollars about a year ago.  It was open box, so I got it at a discount. 

For almost everything, the sound from it is enough for me.  I have never been anything close to an audiophile.  The only thing I dislike is when a speaker crackles a little.  I've had no issues with that from the Vizio soundbar, but I want something with a little more quality for the times I watch horror movies and action movies and such. 

*My basement is 18x13 with 7 foot ceilings. 
*My couch sits 7 feet from the TV. 
*Walls are concrete.
*Ceiling is drywall. 
*Floor is vinyl. 

Running speaker wire is not an option.  Ceiling already drywalled and complete. 

I think I've narrowed my selection down to:

Samsung HW-Q60T 5.1ch Soundbar with 3D Surround Sound and Acoustic Beam (2020)

SAMSUNG HW-T650 3.1ch Soundbar with 3D Surround Sound (2020)

Samsung HW-T550 2.1ch Soundbar with Dolby Audio / DTS Virtual:X (2020)

Top choice is 400.
Middle is 300.
Bottom is 200.

I'm just wondering whether or not there is a SIGNIFICANT sound difference from the three that a non-audiophile would notice. 

Explain it to me like you would explain it to someone who does not understand sound systems at all. 

Remember, the majority of the time it will be a normal volume.  I just want something that would add a little something more when rewatching The Thing or Aliens or The Matrix or a horror movie.

1 hour ago, Outpost31 said:

Explain it to me like you would explain it to someone who does not understand sound systems at all. 

For the two models you listed, there's something that stands out immediately, and it makes a lot of difference.

The HW-T650 is a 3.1 system, with the 3D audio. That means in the bar there's 3 speakers, left and right, a center speaker, and the .1 means 1 subwoofer. So that says it's going to try and mimic a full surround system using 3 speakers, instead of 5 or 7, and it does an ok job at it.

The T550 is a 2.1, so it's just stereo sound, with some extra bass. These are for somebody that just wants to enhance the sound of the TV a little, and make it louder. My guess is that it uses the same speakers as the T650, but there's one less, and it won't mimic the surround sound.

If you want a surround sound experience, and you're set on Samsung, look into the HW series. They're closer to a true surround sound in a bar, and have the ability to add wireless rear speakers if you want a true surround. They have a model in the $400 range. There are some other good brands out there that have wireless rear speakers to make a true 5.1 soundbar system if you decide to go a different route.

FWIW, I could not be happier with my Samsung sound bar. 

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B06XGWGVQG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_9CVuFb8FFFXP6

This has been worth every damn penny. It looks good, the sound is beyond excellent, and it's lived up to the hype. I can't suggest it'll be the best option for a movie theater system but that's a personal preference. 

On 9/1/2020 at 9:18 AM, Outpost31 said:

Okay, so my theater basement is nearly finished.  Basically finished. 

I have an 82 inch Samsung Smart TV.  I want to get a Samsung sound system to go with it. 

I currently have a Vizio soundbar that I bought at Best Buy for 70 dollars about a year ago.  It was open box, so I got it at a discount. 

For almost everything, the sound from it is enough for me.  I have never been anything close to an audiophile.  The only thing I dislike is when a speaker crackles a little.  I've had no issues with that from the Vizio soundbar, but I want something with a little more quality for the times I watch horror movies and action movies and such. 

*My basement is 18x13 with 7 foot ceilings. 
*My couch sits 7 feet from the TV. 
*Walls are concrete.
*Ceiling is drywall. 
*Floor is vinyl. 

Running speaker wire is not an option.  Ceiling already drywalled and complete. 

I think I've narrowed my selection down to:

Samsung HW-Q60T 5.1ch Soundbar with 3D Surround Sound and Acoustic Beam (2020)

SAMSUNG HW-T650 3.1ch Soundbar with 3D Surround Sound (2020)

Samsung HW-T550 2.1ch Soundbar with Dolby Audio / DTS Virtual:X (2020)

Top choice is 400.
Middle is 300.
Bottom is 200.

I'm just wondering whether or not there is a SIGNIFICANT sound difference from the three that a non-audiophile would notice. 

Remember, the majority of the time it will be a normal volume.  I just want something that would add a little something more when rewatching The Thing or Aliens or The Matrix or a horror movie.

I've got a Samsung soundbar for a TV that honestly, does everything i want it to.  It's not like some amazing life changing audiophile experience...but the "3D sound" on the 2.1 is honestly not that bad.  In some cases, i actually kinda prefer it to the 3.1 version.  It's basically the same machinery, and the same sub, and the same speaker bar...it's just that the 3.1 has a speaker that kinda blasts straight at you.  You have to really think about how you're gonna deploy your new sound bar.  But if you want to sit dead center in front of it...i'd do what i did, and go sit in front of speaker bars with the "audio" button at like Best Buy or whatever.

Which i understand is a complicated suggestion right now.

8 minutes ago, Forge said:

Does it run on Android TV? If so, how well does that work?

Yes, it's android TV. The newer chip in this TV allows for super snappy UI navigation. As far as operating systems for TVs go I think Android TV is probably the best just because of the app selection (vs. LGs OS, Samsung's Tizen, and Roku... although Roku is pretty good too). I will say tho, I've experienced more than a few bugs with Android TV. I have to restart the thing every so often (every other week or so) to fix some bug that develop. Hopefully future updates fix these.

Just now, PatriotsWin! said:

Yes, it's android TV. The newer chip in this TV allows for super snappy UI navigation. As far as operating systems for TVs go I think Android TV is probably the best just because of the app selection (vs. LGs OS, Samsung's Tizen, and Roku... although Roku is pretty good too). I will say tho, I've experienced more than a few bugs with Android TV. I have to restart the thing every so often (every other week or so) to fix some bug that develop. Hopefully future updates fix these.

That's been my concern. I have Roku on everything, but you can't get hbo max and some of the streaming stations