The Technology Thread

UKTexans

What TV should I be looking for for my basement? We want probably 65-70".

It will be used for sports and my (eventual) PS5. I don't have a budget per say, but I won't be spending $1,500 either. 

Would this work or do I need to go to the 120 Refresh? 

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-70-tu7-series-4k-crystal-uhd-led-smart-tv-with-hdr/6429416.p?skuId=6429416 

• 5 weeks later...
10 hours ago, CWood21 said:

May not be the right place, but any suggestions for TV mounts?

Each style is pretty much the same across the different brands. You just have to decide how you want to be able to move the TV while it's mounted. If there's a chance you'll need to tilt the TV in different directions, get a mount that will do it all. Much better to spend a little more up front than it is to replace a mount.

Make sure which ever one you're looking at has a TV replacement guarantee for failure, and most have it. It's also better to check the weight of the TV, and compare it to the max weight of the mount. The mounts usually just advertise the size of the TV, But that's not always accurate to weight.

On 9/12/2020 at 8:27 PM, PatriotsWin! said:

Yes, it's android TV. The newer chip in this TV allows for super snappy UI navigation. As far as operating systems for TVs go I think Android TV is probably the best just because of the app selection (vs. LGs OS, Samsung's Tizen, and Roku... although Roku is pretty good too). I will say tho, I've experienced more than a few bugs with Android TV. I have to restart the thing every so often (every other week or so) to fix some bug that develop. Hopefully future updates fix these.

Eeeeesh.  I was actually gonna ask about TVs, because i haven't really kept up on them...and my parents asked me about it, because they're looking at a new one.  That makes me think Sony ain't gonna be it for them.  Probably just gonna steer them toward Samsung, which is kinda where i'd originally figured.  But they like Sony for some reason.

• 10 months later...

Sheesh I had to go 4 pages deep to find this thread... Kinda surprising.

Did the windows 11 upgrade... Going to take some getting used to even though most of the changes aren't that major, it seems faster and more snappy than windows 10 so far but the centered task bar is a bit of a culture shock... Might have to change it to the classic layout but I'll give it a chance for a bit and see.

On 10/8/2021 at 7:36 AM, rob_shadows said:

Sheesh I had to go 4 pages deep to find this thread... Kinda surprising.

Did the windows 11 upgrade... Going to take some getting used to even though most of the changes aren't that major, it seems faster and more snappy than windows 10 so far but the centered task bar is a bit of a culture shock... Might have to change it to the classic layout but I'll give it a chance for a bit and see.

You made a huge mistake.

I don't see how Windows 11 randomly moving everything around, is going to result in anything more than...the fiasco of Windows 8, redux.

Though soon enough, we will all be forced onto the new platform.  Like daggers in the night.  Waking up to...wtf my computer is on a different OS.

• 2 weeks later...

Welp, my S9+ is really starting to show its age. The wire charge port is FUBAR (the system will freak out if you try to do so and the phone won't effectivrly charge at all) and the screen will go complete schizo at times. Ran out and got a cheap Motorola to be the emergency phone if/when this thing completely dies. Gonna try to hold on to it until Black Friday or Cyber Monday to get its true replacement.

3 hours ago, Kip Smithers said:

Moreso full audio.

I recently bought the PS Pulse 3D one, and it’s really good for $100. I moved my PS5 to a different room From my surround system, so I wanted a replacement. Sound quality is good, surround is good, chat is clear, you can seat bias for chat and game audio, and it integrates really well. The bad is that the lows are good, but it’s not a rumbly bass like a surround system, and it’s a little heavy. I’ve always had a pretty good 5.1 system, and these didn’t let me down as a replacement. 

On 10/25/2021 at 8:21 PM, biggie. said:

Welp, my S9+ is really starting to show its age. The wire charge port is FUBAR (the system will freak out if you try to do so and the phone won't effectivrly charge at all) and the screen will go complete schizo at times. Ran out and got a cheap Motorola to be the emergency phone if/when this thing completely dies. Gonna try to hold on to it until Black Friday or Cyber Monday to get its true replacement.

Pixel 6's value is off the charts. I'm going to get the Pro on BF more than likely. I never get first generation of tech plus if I can wait a month+ and save $100-$150, I'll absolutely do that

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Wow, who knew thermostats were such a pain in the ***. Purchased two 3rd Gen Learning Google Nest Thermostats the other month and just got around to installing them. One works great no problem, the other I have been on with Google for 3 straight days now.

Our old thermostats didn't have a C wire, and although Google says their nests don't require one, they basically kinda do if you want consistent long-term effectiveness. Going through the motions of having to pay an HVAC guy to come out and install a C wire vs. trying to jump it with the G wire.

I hate this home reno crap man.