The Technology Thread

UKTexans

5 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

It's like cars...where i just want one that's configured the way i want it.  I get in, turn the key and drive happily. 

Well as you are fully aware, I customize my cars as well, haha. I guess I just like to tinker with ish. 

10 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Well as you are fully aware, I customize my cars as well, haha. I guess I just like to tinker with ish. 

lol True.  Though i think it's a different scenario when you're tweaking the actual Hardware of the vehicle, rather than trying to reconfigure the software to fit what you want.  Cosmetic changes are just that.  It's where people buy like a Honda Civic and try to turn it into a sports car, where it's like...dude...just get the thing you want in the first place.

3 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

It's where people buy like a Honda Civic and try to turn it into a sports car

I was in highschool when Fast and the Furious came out. I am fully aware of the Honda Civic with a spoiler, 6inch exhaust, and a 4 banger engine putting out like 150 ponies, lol 

Edited by Matts4313

1 hour ago, Matts4313 said:

I was in highschool when Fast and the Furious came out. I am fully aware of the Honda Civic with a spoiler, 6inch exhaust, and a 4 banger engine putting out like 150 ponies, lol 

my-lug-nuts-need-more-torque-than-your-honda-makes.jpg

Edited by Tugboat
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...

After 10 1/2 years, finally retiring (well not fully retiring) my 1080p ASUS Monitor. Bought it March 2012. In that time, not one dead pixel, not one problem of any kind, even had it robbed one time and the robber dropped it on the side of the house with no cracks at all. 

Upgrading to a 27" 4K BenQ with USB-C connectivity (trying to upgrade everything to USC-C, just so much better than USB-A and HDMI). 

Also have a pretty nice mechanical keyboard now as well. 

Anyone here a Software Engineer? Just completed my C.S. degree and been practicing a lot of coding. Mostly doing Swift/iOS. Find Web Development incredibly boring. 

• 1 month later...

Anyone have any Black Friday TV deals they're eyeing? Looking to upgrade my 7-8 year old model to something better. Not interested in top of the line stuff but looking at mid-upper tier. 

Currently what I'm looking at:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-65-class-q70a-series-qled-4k-uhd-smart-tizen-tv/6451476.p?skuId=6451476

Got a $200 gift card when I bought a new phone from them last month and since they price match, it's not like BB will be able to jack up the price on me like I've seem them do in the past. 

Any TV nerds have thoughts on this model based on the specs?

• 3 months later...

Can anyone give me some advice on a TV?

Admittedly, Ive never put a ton of thought into buying TV's in the past.   I just made sure I bought a decent brand and looked for basic specs, but never went much further beyond that.    I dont watch much TV outside of football, only occasionally use it to watch movies, and use it mostly to play games (and even then its spotty).

I am bouncing back and forth between two TVs right now.....

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-65-class-c2-series-oled-evo-4k-uhd-smart-webos-tv/6501491.p?skuId=6501491

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-60-class-q60b-qled-4k-smart-tizen-tv/6502242.p?skuId=6502242

Now, obviously, the LG C2 is more expensive and more feature rich with a better picture, but I am really wondering if its worth the extra 900 Id have to throw down.   The money isnt really a huge deal, but I still want to get the best value, especially since Im not someone who is constantly on my TV.

Ive done some research and the C2 gets rave reviews and seems to be one of the better TVs on the market, but I hear alot of stuff about burn in with OLED's.     Still, everyone raves about the picture quality and gaming features.

On the flipside, the Samsung Q60B is much cheaper, and while I get that it doesnt have alot of the features of the C2, Im just not 100% how much it would actually improve my experience.   Gaming wise, Im not much more than a casual gamer, and dont play E-sports or anything, so I dont necessarily know much much things like variable refresh rates would improve my gaming, and not sure 100% sure if the picture quality improvement is enough to justify and extra 900.

Any feedback is appreciated.

8 hours ago, 43M said:

Can anyone give me some advice on a TV?

Admittedly, Ive never put a ton of thought into buying TV's in the past.   I just made sure I bought a decent brand and looked for basic specs, but never went much further beyond that.    I dont watch much TV outside of football, only occasionally use it to watch movies, and use it mostly to play games (and even then its spotty).

I am bouncing back and forth between two TVs right now.....

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-65-class-c2-series-oled-evo-4k-uhd-smart-webos-tv/6501491.p?skuId=6501491

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-60-class-q60b-qled-4k-smart-tizen-tv/6502242.p?skuId=6502242

Now, obviously, the LG C2 is more expensive and more feature rich with a better picture, but I am really wondering if its worth the extra 900 Id have to throw down.   The money isnt really a huge deal, but I still want to get the best value, especially since Im not someone who is constantly on my TV.

Ive done some research and the C2 gets rave reviews and seems to be one of the better TVs on the market, but I hear alot of stuff about burn in with OLED's.     Still, everyone raves about the picture quality and gaming features.

On the flipside, the Samsung Q60B is much cheaper, and while I get that it doesnt have alot of the features of the C2, Im just not 100% how much it would actually improve my experience.   Gaming wise, Im not much more than a casual gamer, and dont play E-sports or anything, so I dont necessarily know much much things like variable refresh rates would improve my gaming, and not sure 100% sure if the picture quality improvement is enough to justify and extra 900.

Any feedback is appreciated.

The first thing I would ask is what are you using for watching TV and can it truly display TV content in 120hz. I don't think much content is even available in that refresh rate and it's really only for gaming purposes right now. That being said, if you're not using this TV w/ console gaming, I don't see the reason to get the LG when it's substantially more expensive. 

If I were to choose between them, I would take the Samsung now unless you're trying to be a little future proof so that when more hardware is capable of displaying in 120hz, you'll have the right TV for the job. Just right now, I don't think there's a lot of that out there but someone can correct me if I'm wrong. I was looking at TVs last Black Friday and found Samsungs that are a step up from what you listed and still right around a grand. Didn't pull the trigger but I will be this year.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

The first thing I would ask is what are you using for watching TV and can it truly display TV content in 120hz. I don't think much content is even available in that refresh rate and it's really only for gaming purposes right now.

The 120 Hz for watching content really wasnt something I was considering.   It was more about the picture quality on OLED vs QLED and LED.

That being said, if you're not using this TV w/ console gaming, I don't see the reason to get the LG when it's substantially more expensive. 

I am using it for console gaming.   Thats probably what Ill use it for most.   I just wanted to know if its really much of a game changer.   I know its a big deal with the competitive FPS crowd, but does 60 Hz vs 120 mean much when its mostly a casual player playing mostly story bssed, single player games?

If I were to choose between them, I would take the Samsung now unless you're trying to be a little future proof so that when more hardware is capable of displaying in 120hz, you'll have the right TV for the job. Just right now, I don't think there's a lot of that out there but someone can correct me if I'm wrong. I was looking at TVs last Black Friday and found Samsungs that are a step up from what you listed and still right around a grand. Didn't pull the trigger but I will be this year.

Its KIND OF about future proofing, but Im really just trying to see if the picture quality overall is good enough to warrant that much of a difference in price.   (In reality, we will say the difference is $700ish, since the LG is 5 inches bigger.)

1 hour ago, OkeyDoke21 said:

If the money isn't that big of an issue, and you'll be playing console games on it, I would go for the C2.  I was in a similar spot 2 years ago, and wish I would've went for the HDMI 2.1's, to future proof a little more than I did.  

Money isnt really an issue, but I still hate overpaying.   If the LG C2 is worth it, then Im willing to pay.  Just trying to see if its worth all that extra money over the Samsung I listed based on my viewing and gaming habits.

Edited by 43M
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, 43M said:

The 120 Hz for watching content really wasnt something I was considering.   It was more about the picture quality on OLED vs QLED and LED.

I am using it for console gaming.   Thats probably what Ill use it for most.   I just wanted to know if its really much of a game changer.   I know its a big deal with the competitive FPS crowd, but does 60 Hz vs 120 mean much when its mostly a casual player playing mostly story bssed, single player games?

Its KIND OF about future proofing, but Im really just trying to see if the picture quality overall is good enough to warrant that much of a difference in price.   (In reality, we will say the difference is $700ish, since the LG is 5 inches bigger.)

Gotcha. I misunderstood.

I personally have never seen an OLED TV in action so I cannot comment on that further. I would like to think the picture quality between OLED and QLED may be negligible but it's simply a guess. If you do go to the store and look at both and the difference isn't much, this is what I was eyeing last year but didn't pull the trigger. This Black Friday though, I'll have something new

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-tv-home-theater/samsung-tvs/pcmcat1482436089002.c?id=pcmcat1482436089002

Not OLED technology but everything else, on the surface, looks similar to the LG TV you linked. Either way, I don't think you can go wrong w/ the choice you're going to make but if money isnt' an issue like I think you said it wasn't, I'd go the future proofing route.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Gotcha. I misunderstood.

I personally have never seen an OLED TV in action so I cannot comment on that further. I would like to think the picture quality between OLED and QLED may be negligible but it's simply a guess. If you do go to the store and look at both and the difference isn't much, this is what I was eyeing last year but didn't pull the trigger. This Black Friday though, I'll have something new

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-tv-home-theater/samsung-tvs/pcmcat1482436089002.c?id=pcmcat1482436089002

Not OLED technology but everything else, on the surface, looks similar to the LG TV you linked. Either way, I don't think you can go wrong w/ the choice you're going to make but if money isnt' an issue like I think you said it wasn't, I'd go the future proofing route.

Yeah..leaning towards the C2, but its $1000 more than Ive ever spent on a television, so Im a little hesitant.   😬

• Like 1