The Technology Thread

UKTexans

1 minute ago, flyers0909 said:

I've got a mid 2009.  I've upgraded the memory and it runs ok, but it really struggles with streaming video, most notably HBOGO and Amazon Video.  The fan kicks on pretty quickly and it gets real hot which gets it running pretty slow.  

And yeah, that was my thought.  Google Docs if I need to use Office like programs and will be able to handle my other needs for really cheap.  

Just remember you have very limited storage. You're not backing your phone up, or putting pictures on it. 

2 minutes ago, MrDrew said:

Just remember you have very limited storage. You're not backing your phone up, or putting pictures on it. 

Yeah the one I'm looking at has great reviews but no SD card slot.  I'll still use my MBP to backup my iPhone and I built my own PC last year so I can use that to store media.  

5 hours ago, Mossburg said:

^Nexus 5 was $350 in 2013. It had high end hardware, NFC, wireless charging, 1080p screen, etc. Camera wasn't ideal, but it was a great phone for it's time and even today it's perfectly serviceable and has more features than some current phones. Again, $350. It had more features than any iPhone for years to come, and same or equivalent to any Samsung device. It wasn't marketed as a premium device. Pixel is marketed as a premium device and costs twice as much for little other reason than it's marketed as a premium device.

These phones cost like $200 to make, it's always reported. It doesn't include R&D and marketing and some other stuff, but you can't tell me if Google can do what they did other companies can't either. A good chunk of that increase is a branding tax just like with Beats headphones or a cheap shirt with a famous logo.

You're right that prices of phones are going up, so to compare the price of a phone from 2013 to today's prices is not fair.  Of course phones are more expensive today.  Part of that is because of the technology present on these phones.  The quality of the OLED displays, battery life, hardware/software optimization, etc.

That's one of the problems with the Pixel and iPhone X being so expensive - those phones are really lackluster compared to the hardware of the Samsung Note 8.

27 minutes ago, flyers0909 said:

Yeah the one I'm looking at has great reviews but no SD card slot.  I'll still use my MBP to backup my iPhone and I built my own PC last year so I can use that to store media.  

I got an ASUS 11" for $120ish at Best Buy. It's been over a year, with kids using it, and it still works fine. It has an SD slot, but I've never had a need to use it for extra storage.

My plan is to get an iMac or a Mac Mini to do the big stuff, and then have a couple Chromebooks floating around for surfing.

• Like 2

You're right that prices of phones are going up, so to compare the price of a phone from 2013 to today's prices is not fair. Of course phones are more expensive today. Part of that is because of the technology present on these phones. The quality of the OLED displays, battery life, hardware/software optimization, etc.

That's one of the problems with the Pixel and iPhone X being so expensive - those phones are really lackluster compared to the hardware of the Samsung Note 8.

All iPhone as far as I can remember had the cheapest option at $650, same with Galaxy phones which competed directly and priced accordingly. I know for a fact the 6 was $650 because I was there when someone bought one, and it came out months after the N5. Apple's current iPhone is $50 more because they bumped the minimum storage. So that's not a factor, no Galaxy or iPhone debuted at anything close to $400 (other than maybe 5+ years ago, I really didn't keep up with it back then).

EDIT: FWIW, original iPhone was $600 for the 8GB model.

https://www.imore.com/history-iphone-original
Edited by Mossburg

7 hours ago, flyers0909 said:

Anyone use Chromebooks?  What do you have and do you like it?  My MBP is on it's last legs and I really just need something to watch Netflix on and browse the web.

Recently bought one of the high end ones.

Its super simple and everything runs smoothly. 

Its odd initially because its so stripped down but fast boot times, not worrying about viruses, and how well it integrates google services makes it worth it.

12 minutes ago, RavensTillIDie said:

I don't know if this is the best place to post this, but anyone have any experience switching carriers in the US? Specifically from AT&T to T-Mobile. Trying to switch my wife over from AT&T, but want to figure out the best way to maximize profits.

I did Verizon to T-Mobile. It was pretty simple in the store. They'll buy out the rest of the phone if she owes on it, or just give you a SIM if she owns and wants to keep it. They transfer the number for you.

You're profits are going to come with the monthly bill. T-Mobile is a lot cheaper than the big 2. They don't have as much coverage in the middle of nowhere, but have way better service where they do have the coverage. 

28 minutes ago, MrDrew said:

I did Verizon to T-Mobile. It was pretty simple in the store. They'll buy out the rest of the phone if she owes on it, or just give you a SIM if she owns and wants to keep it. They transfer the number for you.

You're profits are going to come with the monthly bill. T-Mobile is a lot cheaper than the big 2. They don't have as much coverage in the middle of nowhere, but have way better service where they do have the coverage. 

Right, the former is what I'm trying to figure out. Basically, should I have her get the new iPhone 8 on AT&T (for $800/30 months), then switch to T-Mobile for the ~$650 bill credit, then sell her old iPhone 7 Plus (~$500). Making around $350 profit. Or is that not how it works?

I've googled and checked the Apple forums.

Apparently there's no way to disable the outgoing "swoosh" sound you hear when sending text messages? The only way is to put text notifications as a whole on silent, but then I can't hear my incoming texts which I need for work.

Why on Earth would Apple bundle those two sounds together when they separate 'incoming' and 'outgoing' email sounds? Huh?

Am I missing something here?

50 minutes ago, RavensTillIDie said:

Right, the former is what I'm trying to figure out. Basically, should I have her get the new iPhone 8 on AT&T (for $800/30 months), then switch to T-Mobile for the ~$650 bill credit, then sell her old iPhone 7 Plus (~$500). Making around $350 profit. Or is that not how it works?

When you get the credit for the old phone, you have to turn it in. So if you're still paying for the 7 Plus, you would turn it in, get the balance in a prepaid card, and then get some credit towards a new phone from the trade. If she owns the 7 Plus, you can get a big credit towards a new one. You wouldn't get the full amount for a new 8 if you got one, so you'd actually lose money there.

If you don't owe much on the 7, you can pay it off, and put that money on a new phone to lower the payments.