Week 5: Rams vs Football Team

turtle28

1 minute ago, turtle28 said:

The hope was that Haskins would grow and develop throughout the season. Maybe it was far fetched but he seemed to be doing so last year.

I guess there’s also a far fetched hope that Kyle Allen develops in his second year as a starter in this offense into at least a serviceable starter but I doubt it.

Oh that all evaporated about five days ago when they inexplicably convinced themselves that they could win the divisional crown.

2 hours ago, e16bball said:

For me, the pessimism comes from the fact that making and implementing the plan this year was really easy. Mindnumbingly easy. Understand that your roster is bad, understand that Rome wasn’t built in a day, understand you’re not winning a blessed thing this year. Take your young talented QB and give him the season, put enough around him that he could have some success if he makes progress, and evaluate where he stands when the year’s over. 

And they couldn’t even manage that. They gave him absolutely nothing to work with. And then they couldn’t exercise a modicum of patience and commitment to one of the most valuable assets on the roster. They’re either flatly lying about why they benched him (and then leaking like a sieve in order to make him look good) or they actually did get caught up in the ludicrous belief that they’re in the hunt for a division title and decided to bench said young QB because he’s not quite as ready to win now as Kyle Allen or Alex Smith. 

That they couldn’t even manage this very easy season without making it embarrassingly difficult and drama-filled is the reason for the pessimism. We were all prepared to suck on the field. What’s really disheartening is that It’s been nothing but business as usual off the field under Rivera. Had we sucked on the field (even as bad as this) while showing patience, competence, stability, a coherent vision, and an unwavering commitment to the long game — I think everybody would be feeling positive. But I haven’t seen much of that, personally.

I mean, Rivera was also sub .500 the last four years.  We got what we got, and we knew it wasn't great. I also agree with everything you said.  The fact that Rivera has fallen prey to what happens here just proves to me that nothing is ever going to change with this franchise with the current guy at the top.  It's almost time to cut bait.  One of my closest friends who attends games with me wasn't watching today until Alex Smith went in, and he's as diehard as they come.  This fanbase is stretched to the breaking point. 

1 hour ago, Troublez said:

This is far and away a pretty terrible outing. The type of loss that causes players (not only fans) to lose hope. 

Ron looks like a dang fool talking about "division races" and changing his approach to an evolving situation. I am not sure I can consider Ron Rivera's word as gospel any longer....

I was down on the Rivera hire but I didn't think it would be this bad.  

56 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Pretty much. #4 sounds like Trey Lance range. Lawrence & Fields will go top 2 or 1 & 3. If we really love Fields, maybe we trade up a few spots to take him at 2.

This team can't move up like they did before.  They just can't. It will do us no good to trade all of those picks and end up without the ability to surround the QB with talent. 

3 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

I mean, Rivera was also sub .500 the last four years.  We got what we got, and we knew it wasn't great. I also agree with everything you said.  The fact that Rivera has fallen prey to what happens here just proves to me that nothing is ever going to change with this franchise with the current guy at the top.  It's almost time to cut bait.  One of my closest friends who attends games with me wasn't watching today until Alex Smith went in, and he's as diehard as they come.  This fanbase is stretched to the breaking point. 

But part of it is people treated this hire like we got the second coming of Joe Gibbs. The rest of the league is moving towards younger offensive minds and we go out and hire a retread who couldn’t win in a more stable environment with one of the leagues better QBs. When they refused to name a GM that should’ve been a sign to everyone that things were going to stay the same. Snyder’s an idiot and Rivera is a mediocre coach. Allen and Smith suck too. 

2 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

But part of it is people treated this hire like we got the second coming of Joe Gibbs. The rest of the league is moving towards younger offensive minds and we go out and hire a retread who couldn’t win in a more stable environment with one of the leagues better QBs. When they refused to name a GM that should’ve been a sign to everyone that things were going to stay the same. Snyder’s an idiot and Rivera is a mediocre coach. Allen and Smith suck too. 

I am right there with you.  I wanted Wolf and Stefanski.  I would have been happy to take Bienemy.  At this point, Snyder not hiring Rick Smith looks terrible.  I really want to know who was on the committee advising him besides Joe Gibbs.  I cant believe that a room with some top coaching minds, Rivera was the guy decided on. 

30 minutes ago, Woz said:

Oh that all evaporated about five days ago when they inexplicably convinced themselves that they could win the divisional crown.

I get it, I was talking about the offseason and the first month of the season until apparently Sunday afternoon or Monday when Rivera benched Haskins.