turtle28

Week 5: Rams vs Football Team

Just had the chance to watch the game. What a mess. 

First, I have to say, it was really heartwarming and positive to see the guys play so aggressively and passionately and effectively once they were freed from the emotional and mental shackles of being forced to play with Haskins 🙄 I especially liked how the new QBs weren’t “afraid” to push the ball down the field like Haskins was. Nothing says “aggressively taking shots” like 5 completions to WRs for a total of 29 yards. In fairness, the WRs did get 9 whole targets, which might not seem like a lot, but when you compare it to the 19 targets given to RBs and TEs...well, I guess it still doesn’t seem like very much, does it?

One wonders how guys like Troy Apke and Wes Martin are still starting and getting all/most of the snaps. They did actually cut into Apke’s snaps finally, but how is no one else even getting a shot at LG? I assume Scherff’s return will signal the end for Martin, but holy hell. Someone else could have taken his place as Aaron Donald’s beanie baby for a few snaps at least.

The same goes for Thomas Davis, who doesn’t even have the benefit of being young and there existing a vague possibility that one day he could be good. How can the oldest player on a bottom-of-the-league roster play terribly and still get snaps? And while I’m at it, how is the only player who has played every single snap on this defense so far...Jon Bostic? There’s not even a single rare situation-specific package in which you get him off the field? “Listen, I don’t care about down, distance, score, time — this defense cannot survive for even a play without Jon Bostic there in the middle, reliably failing to make plays like an old trusty timepiece.”

And while I’m on the subject, can we please find a trade for Kerrigan already? Montez Sweat is only playing 64% of the snaps this season, despite Chase Young missing 1.5 out of 5 games so far. That’s because they’re forcing snaps for Kerrigan, who is making absolutely no impact after his remarkable Week One performance.

You can see why they felt they need to go to Allen: he appears to run the fastest of the 3 QBs, and they’ve correctly deduced that the only way they’ll survive the season with this OL is if the QB on the field is fast enough to run away from the deluge of descending pass rushers on any given play. Boy, that OL is really something. What they did to Alex Smith was criminal. One can only surmise that they find Alex, like Haskins, to be the sort of very uninspiring and non-motivating player that doesn’t unlock their internal greatness.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, e16bball said:

Just had the chance to watch the game. What a mess. 

First, I have to say, it was really heartwarming and positive to see the guys play so aggressively and passionately and effectively once they were freed from the emotional and mental shackles of being forced to play with Haskins 🙄 I especially liked how the new QBs weren’t “afraid” to push the ball down the field like Haskins was. Nothing says “aggressively taking shots” like 5 completions to WRs for a total of 29 yards. In fairness, the WRs did get 9 whole targets, which might not seem like a lot, but when you compare it to the 19 targets given to RBs and TEs...well, I guess it still doesn’t seem like very much, does it?

One wonders how guys like Troy Apke and Wes Martin are still starting and getting all/most of the snaps. They did actually cut into Apke’s snaps finally, but how is no one else even getting a shot at LG? I assume Scherff’s return will signal the end for Martin, but holy hell. Someone else could have taken his place as Aaron Donald’s beanie baby for a few snaps at least.

The same goes for Thomas Davis, who doesn’t even have the benefit of being young and there existing a vague possibility that one day he could be good. How can the oldest player on a bottom-of-the-league roster play terribly and still get snaps? And while I’m at it, how is the only player who has played every single snap on this defense so far...Jon Bostic? There’s not even a single rare situation-specific package in which you get him off the field? “Listen, I don’t care about down, distance, score, time — this defense cannot survive for even a play without Jon Bostic there in the middle, reliably failing to make plays like an old trusty timepiece.”

And while I’m on the subject, can we please find a trade for Kerrigan already? Montez Sweat is only playing 64% of the snaps this season, despite Chase Young missing 1.5 out of 5 games so far. That’s because they’re forcing snaps for Kerrigan, who is making absolutely no impact after his remarkable Week One performance.

You can see why they felt they need to go to Allen: he appears to run the fastest of the 3 QBs, and they’ve correctly deduced that the only way they’ll survive the season with this OL is if the QB on the field is fast enough to run away from the deluge of descending pass rushers on any given play. Boy, that OL is really something. What they did to Alex Smith was criminal. One can only surmise that they find Alex, like Haskins, to be the sort of very uninspiring and non-motivating player that doesn’t unlock their internal greatness.

I love you. Haha Amazing post!

On 10/11/2020 at 10:11 PM, mar29020 said:

Rivera inherited a dumpter fire. Give him time to fix it.

It's one thing to inherit a dumpster fire.

It's another thing to pour gasoline on it intentionally.

• Like 1

On 10/11/2020 at 10:18 PM, turtle28 said:

Oh well. There’s 3 QBs worth taking in the top 10 and probably a 4th that will go somewhere in the 1st.

As of right now.

What happens if the college season ends this week because of the coronavirus? Will there be a Senior Bowl? Combine? What if one of these guys gets hurt? Or (perhaps more likely) does something stupid because the season isn't happening?

I get that they now need a QB because they just shivved Haskins, but taking a QB prospect with this setup is really rolling the dice.

On 10/11/2020 at 10:26 PM, turtle28 said:

If your trading Haskins for hopefully a 2nd, you have two 2nds, we have two 3rds bc of the Trent Trade. 

Who is giving them a 2nd for Haskins, though?

During the draft, Miami gave Arizona a 2nd round pick for Rosen because they found themselves out of position for QBs. The pick they sent to Arizona was one they got trading down with New Orleans after Denver had taken Drew Lock in front of them.

So, if you are going to expect that sort of compensation, you need a team who is in somewhat desperate need of a QB but believes themselves to end up out of the top ten and not able to get one of those three QBs you mention.

I don’t see us winning more than another game or two, we aren’t as good as last year we really miss Ioannidis as our 3rd DT & our best interior pass rusher. We miss AD a lot, Flowers and Penn. We can’t run successfully which is putting too much pressure on our QBs shoulders no matter who is in there. I thought Nicholson was the worst starting FS in the league last year but it’s obvious that he was at least serviceable and we miss him. 

Only part of this I disagree with is missing Peterson. He wouldn't be used in this offense enough to make it work.

That and the running game isn't successful because the line cannot block for the runners or the QB.

Other teams will end up with 5/6 wins and I seriously doubt we will. We may end up picking 2nd or 3rd win. I think the Giants are better than us (we ain’t dropping 30 on anyone) the Cowboys are still better than us with Dalton. Maybe we split with the Giants, that’s two wins. Maybe we get one more.

3-13 again, that’s in range to draft Fields or Lance.

I don’t think we’ll have to trade up tbh

What games are the Jets winning? Jacksonville? Houston? Denver?

There are other bad teams in the league.

On 10/11/2020 at 11:04 PM, MKnight82 said:
On 10/11/2020 at 9:30 PM, Woz said:

Except it no longer is. It's now a play for the divisional crown and the playoffs.

No it isn’t.  It never was.

Tell that to the head coach.