Adrian Peterson not a good fit with Saints, should he be traded?

DigInBoys

8 minutes ago, Pugger said:

Is he a poor fit or just past his prime?

Probably a little bit of both.  He needs to go to a team that need a good 2 down thumper and has an established 3rd down pass catching back.  In that system I think he still has some value.

8 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

Probably a little bit of both.  He needs to go to a team that need a good 2 down thumper and has an established 3rd down pass catching back.  In that system I think he still has some value.

to the Redskins for a 7th ;) 

"Adrian Peterson had 1,485 yards and 11 touchdowns in 2015, the last full season he played. On Sunday, he had four yards on four carries against the Dolphins. He’s barely a factor in the Saints offense, and it raises the question: Is Peterson’s NFL career nearing its end? 

The writing was on the wall in Week 1, when Peterson just played nine snaps in a loss to his former team, the Vikings. His role hasn’t changed since then. Alvin Kamara and Mark Ingramare still taking the bulk of New Orleans’ snaps, and when Peterson is on the field, he’s not doing much."

- Regarding the above, running backs, as is well known, have a short shelf-life, and tend to wear out after a few years. Adrian Peterson is 32, was not good for the Vikings, is even worse this year for the Saints- the odds of his staging a miraculous renaissance are nil. There is even today an article by some hysterical sports writer for the Minneapolis Star suggesting that, with Dalvin Cook now seriously injured, maybe the Vikings should trade to get Peterson back? (I wanted to post the link but when I clicked on it a photograph of a moose spotted in Minnesota came up. Perhaps the moose would gain more yards than Peterson, was the point?). How absurd! What team would surrender anything of value for a 32-year-old RB, clearly past his prime?

Best advice I can give to the Vikings in their situation would be to acquire a running back who's a free agent, and would cost nothing; who was once a prospect of great promise; who was a high first-round pick who for some reason never quite worked out; for whom there were offered endless excuses and rationales and, based upon said alibis, may yet only need to find that ideal situation in which he would fit, and fulfill all the hopes and dreams previously held for him; and who scored (as I was many times reminded) 11 touchdowns in his rookie year:

Image result for Trent Richardson

I still remember some Vikings fans on here arguing he could be an elite RB into his mid 30s.   xD

He is definitely past his prime, but I still think he could be a decent tandem back for the right team.     

I never got why he signed with the Saints, or why the Saints signed him.    Never seemed like a great fit for either side.    

Archived