Adrian Peterson not a good fit with Saints, should he be traded?

DigInBoys

I think a team like Arizona or even Minnesota could use him with their injuries, but it would be something like a R6 for Peterson and a R7. He is worth very, very little today. A potential pick swap may be the best NO could hope for (EX: Peterson for right to swap 2018 R7 picks)

3 minutes ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

I think a team like Arizona or even Minnesota could use him with their injuries, but it would be something like a R6 for Peterson and a R7. He is worth very, very little today. A potential pick swap may be the best NO could hope for (EX: Peterson for right to swap 2018 R7 picks)

Both teams would be better off signing a young street FA with potential, or even someone off a Practice Squad somewhere.

Nobody will give up any value. It's not like he's a great blocker like many established veteran RBs tend to be.

Most teams would rather pluck some RB off of a practice squad somewhere than give up, say, a 2018 7th round pick for Peterson.

1 hour ago, Hunter2_1 said:

He's not a good fit with anyone. He hasn't got the burst. He still has a bit of agility, but he cannot even beat the edge. He's probably somewhere like the 25-35th best RB in the league now. Maybe even lower.

I do agree.  We could see that he had lost that initial burst a season ago.  

54 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

I still remember some Vikings fans on here arguing he could be an elite RB into his mid 30s.   xD

He is definitely past his prime, but I still think he could be a decent tandem back for the right team.     

I never got why he signed with the Saints, or why the Saints signed him.    Never seemed like a great fit for either side.    

If he had not suffered some of those injuries that he has had over the past 3 years, he probably could have...but they took a toll to which not even he could get past.  

1 minute ago, disaacs said:

If he had not suffered some of those injuries that he has had over the past 3 years, he probably could have...but they took a toll to which not even he could get past.  

Okay....but thats the primary reason why most RBs have a short shelf life and dont excel after 30 or so.   The wear and tear builds up and they either get injured easily or they just regress more quickly.   Thats exactly what happened with AP, despite the insistence that he was such an elite athlete that he could afford to regress and still be elite.    

1 minute ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Okay....but thats the primary reason why most RBs have a short shelf life and dont excel after 30 or so.   The wear and tear builds up and they either get injured easily or they just regress more quickly.   Thats exactly what happened with AP, despite the insistence that he was such an elite athlete that he could afford to regress and still be elite.    

Considering that he had come back from an ACL injury to run for 2000 yds, that certainly was a reasonable assumption to make...that he was unlike "most RBs." But, it turned out that he was just a normal human.  

Just now, disaacs said:

Considering that he had come back from an ACL injury to run for 2000 yds, that certainly was a reasonable assumption to make...that he was unlike "most RBs." But, it turned out that he was just a normal human.  

Not really.    I mean, it was reasonable to believe he COULD come back from that ACL tear at age 27 and still be elite (which he was), but to claim he could continue to be ELITE into his mid 30s?    That was never reasonable, especially for a feature RB who got 350-400 touches every year.   The wear and tear catches up to all of them.    

7 minutes ago, disaacs said:

No it wasn't. One miraculous feat doesn't mean he'd pull off another miracle and do something no other RB could.

2 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Not really.    I mean, it was reasonable to believe he COULD come back from that ACL tear at age 27 and still be elite (which he was), but to claim he could continue to be ELITE into his mid 30s?    That was never reasonable, especially for a feature RB who got 350-400 touches every year.   The wear and tear catches up to all of them.    

We'll agree to disagree, considering you and Bullet Club were not watching him every week like we were.  Physically, he had not been like other modern RBs.  I personally didn't feel he would be elite through age 35, but I certainly thought he could make it to 32-33 and still be one of the top RBs.  Unfortunately, it did not happen.  

32 minutes ago, disaacs said:

We'll agree to disagree, considering you and Bullet Club were not watching him every week like we were.  Physically, he had not been like other modern RBs.  I personally didn't feel he would be elite through age 35, but I certainly thought he could make it to 32-33 and still be one of the top RBs.  Unfortunately, it did not happen.  

Ricky Williams is the only RB in the history of the NFL to rush for at least 1000 yards at 32 and he had two whole non-injury related seasons off. Those were pretty unreasonable expectations. Most great RBs finish at 31 at the very latest.

35 minutes ago, Malik said:

Ricky Williams is the only RB in the history of the NFL to rush for at least 1000 yards at 32 and he had two whole non-injury related seasons off. Those were pretty unreasonable expectations. Most great RBs finish at 31 at the very latest.

Gosh, Malik, I was under the impression that Frank Gore rushed for 1000-something last year, at age 33; and my former colleague

"Brutal" called up, frantically, having read your post, claiming that John Riggins rushed for 1347 yards at age 34, in the 1983 season,

and a miraculous 24 TD's. No mention of his 100-yard-dash time, thought. 

Archived