D82

Dak suffers compound fracture, out for season

The thing Matts fails to acknowledge is that had this injury been a career ender, Dallas would simply not tag Dak this offseason and the 31 million from this years tag would be the last dime he ever saw playing football

But, Had he signed 5 year 165 Million, etc, etc, the cost of walking away (ie: cutting Dak) would be so high, Dak would have been a lot like Alex Smith. On the "roster" "IR" for multiple years while still getting paid, rehabbing on the Cowboys dime, and eventually getting a chance to prove himself again on the field

Do you think Alex Smith would have been playing yesterday had he been injured while on the last year of his deal?

In a 5 year 165, or 175 or whatever, If you are betting on yourself as a 26 year old QB, you have to assume that your play will get you ALL of that money (ie: you won't be cut because you suck all of a sudden) but, the sheer size of the signing bonuses/injury guarantees will keep you on the roster for an opportunity to rehab, and come back and prove your value while still making good money if something like what happened yesterday

Dak also has the ability after signing a 5 year 175 to get his own private insurance for the 175 to guarantee for a career ending injury outside of the specific contract guarantees. He just has to be willing to pay the premiums

WHAT IF Jerry had given Dak 150 over 4 years *FULLY GUARANTEED* and yesterday was a career ender?

What tune would you be singing with a 37.5 Million $$ crater on the cap for the next 4 seasons?

Jerry had to be prudent too

Edited by TheGame316

1 hour ago, Matts4313 said:

This is my least favorite argument in all of life. 

If you could run Amazon, would you take $20b a year or $3m?

If you could Rap like Eminem, would you take $5m a year or $1m?

If you could teach at Harvard, would you take the $1m a year or the $60k of a normie?

Some people have more talent than the rest of us. 

(numbers all made up to prove a point)

And some do not. Prescott is asking for:

Goff

Wentz

Wilson

Mahomes

Type money.  What they all have (Wentz postumasouly) a SB appearance or ring.

Prescott hasn't cracked the NFC title game!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Rtnldave said:

Goff

Wentz

Wilson

Mahomes

You saw the deal Houston gave Watson, right? You realize how the market works, right? 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, D82 said:

You saw the deal Houston gave Watson, right? You realize how the market works, right? 

And you saw my previous post about the NFL just becoming a cash grab with no end in sight as to how much higher the contracts go annually, right? Right?

So we continue to one-up the guy who got paid the prior year based on what exactly? Potential?

This is how you end up with bad long term contracts with players past their prime, often injured, or just not capable of leading to a championship. Right?

If Houston wants to roll the dice on Watson, go for it. If you are telling me players are getting paid higher contracts based on stats and not on delivering titles, then that's just stupidity of the highest caliber.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rtnldave said:

And you saw my previous post about the NFL just becoming a cash grab with no end in sight as to how much higher the contracts go annually, right? Right?

So we continue to one-up the guy who got paid the prior year based on what exactly? Potential?

This is how you end up with bad long term contracts with players past their prime, often injured, or just not capable of leading to a championship. Right?

If Houston wants to roll the dice on Watson, go for it. If you are telling me players are getting paid higher contracts based on stats and not on delivering titles, then that's just stupidity of the highest caliber.

100%

I equate it to buying stocks on what's called "Green Days" The market is up so buy when stocks are high

That is how people lose money

If Washington decided to give Haskins 41 Million today , Does that make Dak worth 45 because Dak>Haskins and Dak would be the ridiculous "next man up"?

No, maybe it just means the Skins are stupid

Houston has 62 Million in 2 positions, LT and QB

Good luck filling out the rest of your roster, regardless of how good Watson and Tunsil are

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, D82 said:

21 minutes ago, Rtnldave said:

Goff

Wentz

Wilson

Mahomes

The great Dallas Cowboys with their awesome legacy, tremendous drafting, and overall astute management have not come close to a Conference Championship or Super Bowl appearance in 25 years!  I'm so sick of the let's lay the failures of the organization solely at the feet of the QB.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, Northland said:

The great Dallas Cowboys with their awesome legacy, tremendous drafting, and overall astute management have not come close to a Conference Championship or Super Bowl appearance in 25 years!  I'm so sick of the let's lay the failures of the organization solely at the feet of the QB.

Nobody said anything about failure. All I said was the other QBs not named Watson have delivered in some capacity to championship level. That is WHY they command championship money, again Watson aside.

So why pay someone championship money when they haven't achieved a chapionship???

I have graduated with honors MCL in every degree I have earned. 

I do not have a PHD yet. But should I make the case to the BOE that because I graduated in the top of every class I attended that I should garner PHD money???

I wish!!!!!

But life doesn't work that way, at least it shouldn't.

And please don't come off like the Cowboys offer to Prescott was in any unfair or demeaning.

He was offered a very lucrative contract. 

It wasn't like take this contract or play for league minimum.

Edited by Rtnldave

4 hours ago, 5x10 said:

Hard to feel bad for someone that turns down 165 mil over 5 years 

I mean, maybe you can feel bad for him simply because he's a human being and inarguably good dude who is currently experiencing a lot of pain and a long road of recovery to get back to doing what he loves.

Edited by Nextyearfordaboyz
  • Like 2

Just now, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

I mean, maybe you can feel bad for him simply because he's a human being and inarguably good dude who is currently experiencing a lot of pain and a long road of recovery to get back to doing what he loves.

I feel bad for Dak as a human being and what seems to be a genuinely nice person.

I dont feel bad for him if he lost out on money for not signing a long term deal. The guy is making over $30 million this year and turned down a deal for over $100 million. I dont care about the semantics of the deal. That type of money, what cant he buy with $35 million a year that he could with $40 million.

People work their whole lives and will never make what he is making this year alone. 

Yeah, the man is a multi millionaire with access to the best medical care in the world.

I have 20 years left on my mortgage. 

I do not “feel sorry” for Dak Prescott any more than I feel sorry for how Romo ended up. Both guys have amazing lives. 

• Like 1

don't understand this debate. Why can't there be both. I think Dak should have signed for whatever, because even the most durable QB/player can get injured in this Gladiator like sport. But at the same time, regardless feel so horrible for Dak regardless of what his pay-scale could have been.

1 minute ago, DaBoys said:

Yeah, the man is a multi millionaire with access to the best medical care in the world.

I have 20 years left on my mortgage. 

I do not “feel sorry” for Dak Prescott any more than I feel sorry for how Romo ended up. Both guys have amazing lives. 

exactly. I feel bad for him as I would anyone that gets injured. I dont feel bad that he may have lost out on money, when he has earned more in his short career than most of us ever will.

1 minute ago, CAPJ said:

I feel bad for Dak as a human being and what seems to be a genuinely nice person.

I dont feel bad for him if he lost out on money for not signing a long term deal. The guy is making over $30 million this year and turned down a deal for over $100 million. I dont care about the semantics of the deal. That type of money, what cant he buy with $35 million a year that he could with $40 million.

People work their whole lives and will never make what he is making this year alone. 

I hope that in life, that you do not abide by this. I hope that you fight for every possible inch (as you define those inches) for yourself, especially when you have carved out a brief moment of power in a situation where you are typically at a power disadvantage. It's important, not just for you, but for the others who are powerless beside you.

I will never understand how someone can make the "normal everyday people" argument, and then side with the billionaire owners. 

But regardless, I don't feel bad about Dak losing money either... because he's still going to get his beaucoup bucks, likely more that the $35M/year in your premise.

9 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

I hope that in life, that you do not abide by this. I hope that you fight for every possible inch (as you define those inches) for yourself, especially when you have carved out a brief moment of power in a situation where you are typically at a power disadvantage. It's important, not just for you, but for the others who are powerless beside you.

I will never understand how someone can make the "normal everyday people" argument, and then side with the billionaire owners. 

But regardless, I don't feel bad about Dak losing money either... because he's still going to get his beaucoup bucks, likely more that the $35M/year in your premise.

Maybe I wasn't clear. I'm not siding with the billionaire owners. I would have paid Dak years ago. Sucks that he didn't get a long term deal.

However im not going to be one of those guys that feels bad that he didn't get a long term deal when he makes more money this year than I ever will.

To your other points, I work extremely hard to get everything i can to have a better life. Not sure how much better Daks life would be at $40 million a year compared to $35 million a year.

32 minutes ago, Rtnldave said:

Nobody said anything about failure. All I said was the other QBs not named Watson have delivered in some capacity to championship level. That is WHY they command championship money, again Watson aside.

So why pay someone championship money when they haven't achieved a chapionship???

I have graduated with honors MCL in every degree I have earned. 

I do not have a PHD yet. But should I make the case to the BOE that because I graduated in the top of every class I attended that I should garner PHD money???

I wish!!!!!

But life doesn't work that way, at least it shouldn't.

And please don't come off like the Cowboys offer to Prescott was in any unfair or demeaning.

He was offered a very lucrative contract. 

It wasn't like take this contract or play for league minimum.

It takes a team to win a championship.  That is lost on some people.

• Like 2