Stafford to Dallas???

GetDownandDirty

Dak went down tonight with a leg injury, status not looking good. This could be a chance to offer up a trade to Jerry for Stafford. Get rid of his big salary & get some decent picks in return. Jerry has always wanted Stafford & nows his chance. I think that this is something the Lions need to look at this year if anyone losses a starting QB. Time to move on from Stafford.

Edited by GetDownandDirty

This is... interesting.

I'm normally 100% against trading Stafford, but, if they lose two of the next three games, and the organization decides to move on from Quinn and Patricia, moving Stafford to Dallas for a 1st+ makes a lot of sense.

I'd rather we just make the playoffs and keep building, but it would be very interesting.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

I'd rather we just make the playoffs and keep building, but it would be very interesting.

lol it’s even funnier because I know you typed this with a straight face.  

Jerry will be on the lines with Detroit and Atlanta trying to deal for a Matty.  Lions need to be selling off everything they can get value on.  Falcons probably end up trading Ryan to Dallas for a 1st and a 3rd.  End up getting there new franchise qb on top of extra picks to burn and rebuild on the fly.  The Lions will do nothing and be left holding the bag for another decade

Edited by BigC421/

2 hours ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

I did. We have a pretty easy schedule and the expanded playoffs will likely put an 8-8 team in. If we steal one or two, we'll be firmly in the hunt.

If you would have told me two years and 4 games ago that in 2020 if we steal one or two we could hope for 8-8 I'd have told you I don't think that'll be good enough for the people in charge.

I'm not so sure the people in charge agree with that now. 

5 hours ago, Nnivolcm said:

If you would have told me two years and 4 games ago that in 2020 if we steal one or two we could hope for 8-8 I'd have told you I don't think that'll be good enough for the people in charge.

I think those in charge will give everyone a pass this year using covid 19 as an excuse.

5 hours ago, Nnivolcm said:

I agree. It's clear that things haven't gone the way they wanted them to.

Saddly I thought this too but it's a little too early. I mean to get these guys fired this year would take a couple more losses in a row and I don't trust Quinn trading Stafford.

Maybe when they're both fired, Quinn and Patricia but it's not happening till the domino's start to fall, and a Stafford trade isn't the first one to fall, imo. 

Dallas is a good landing spot though, not sure 1st's are a guarantee to come back our way with Stafford's play, age, money, and injury history now(back). I'd settle for multiple mid round picks in multiple years though....

Keep an eye on the Steelers/Saints this offseason. Saints could trade for and plug'n'play Stafford with a Superbowl ready roster/team. So, who knows what'll happen!

Idk who the next hire(s) will be but they'll need alot of help/support. Multiple draft picks will be a solid start. It'll be like taking over an expansion team basically. 

Edited by SimbaWho

Just now, LionArkie said:

If Quinn traded Stafford now, I'd see it as BQ staying on and MP being the fall guy and getting fired.  BQ would then use it as a rebuild scenario.  That is about the worst case scenario for me.

Yep. Worst case scenario, without question. If Quinn failed in building with Caldwell, and failed in building with Patricia, I do not want him taking a third swing.

3 hours ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Yep. Worst case scenario, without question. If Quinn failed in building with Caldwell, and failed in building with Patricia, I do not want him taking a third swing.

For sure.  I honestly dont want him touching Stafford this year anyways.  His cap hit would be much harder to swallow now than at the end of the year and I would still like to see what a competent coach and GM could do with him.  But if they decide to move in a new direction/we are able to get Lawrence or Fields, then let them decide that. 

Don't see it. I wouldn't hate it if they got a good return - I actually think that Stafford probably deserves a chance to win with another team after all of the **** that he has put up with here. I just don't think that Dallas would make it worth it for us. Dalton is a perfectly average QB and I don't think they would spend the resources it would take to get someone like Stafford. 

• Like 2

When the Lions drafted Stafford, I had to be convinced. It eventually became the situation where they had to draft him.

It was a mistake for the very reasons that concerned me at the time. Don’t misunderstand me. I think Stafford is a fine QB.

The issue then, as it is now, is timing. This team needs far more talent before wasting another franchise QB career. Stafford provides everything required to win a championship but hasn’t had team success because of multiple failures to add talent. There will be those that suggest you don’t pass on a franchise QB. To those I would suggest looking back over the drafts and counting the QB’s the Lions could’ve drafted had they passed on Stafford. 

So the best outcome would be Stafford staying with the Lions and trading him once his cap hit isn’t crippling. Then, drafting inside outside, front to back, both sides of the ball hopefully having effective DE and DT fall in their laps.

This team consists of a bunch of station wagons. Good, versatile but not good enough to enjoy winding roads etc. This team needs to add some high end talent! Frankly I can’t recall a worse defensive line. If I researched I might find one. That deficiency is, in my opinion, the biggest failure of Quinn and Patricia.

So add talent before a franchise QB.

• Like 1