Stafford to Dallas???

GetDownandDirty

1 hour ago, flyguy1609 said:

Not saying your wrong if we lose to the Jags but whats the dead cap hit if we move Stafford during the season???   i know next yr is min(in terms of the qb salaries)  and the following yr is like nothing.

also if we move Stafford & the jets want to much for Darnold, we should call the dolphins and offer a 7th for Rosen... let Rosen  finish the season out. see what the kid can do.

I am also open to trading for Rosen although it feels like he'd be set up for failure from the get go. New team, new system, interim HC, possibly an interim GM, average OL, average run game, etc. 

20 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

I can see Stafford being traded to Indy or Cleveland if we lose to Jacksonville. Dallas just won with Andy Dalton and I wonder if they'll just want to run with the Red Rocket. If Rivers seems to be holding the Colts back or Baker is more hurt than letting on those are two teams primed to add a Stafford esque caliber QB. 

I would be shocked if the Lions traded Stafford mid season.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, diehardlionfan said:

I would be shocked if the Lions traded Stafford mid season.

I would and wouldn't be. This is the time of year when teams are in the hunt and willing to part with high end draft picks, especially when a QB has been lost. If the Lions can get the right compensation then it wouldn't shock me if they pulled the trigger. 

Indianapolis Colts - Rivers has not played well; Bye week 7 (2nd in division)

Cleveland Browns - Mayfield has a severe rib injury; Bye week 9 (3rd in division)

Dallas Cowboys - Dak is out for the season; Bye week 10 (1st in division)

9 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

I would and wouldn't be. This is the time of year when teams are in the hunt and willing to part with high end draft picks, especially when a QB has been lost. If the Lions can get the right compensation then it wouldn't shock me if they pulled the trigger. 

Indianapolis Colts - Rivers has not played well; Bye week 7 (2nd in division)

Cleveland Browns - Mayfield has a severe rib injury; Bye week 9 (3rd in division)

Dallas Cowboys - Dak is out for the season; Bye week 10 (1st in division)

I certainly believe the phone will ring and offers will be made. I just don’t see Quinn being given the authority to make the move unless the decision has been made to keep Quinn. Unless they have already decided who the next GM will be and he approves. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, diehardlionfan said:

I certainly believe the phone will ring and offers will be made. I just don’t see Quinn being given the authority to make the move unless the decision has been made to keep Quinn. Unless they have already decided who the next GM will be and he approves. 

So you're saying they have to call Rod Wood?

I joke...
Kind of.

35 minutes ago, diehardlionfan said:

Or Sheila says "this is what you're doing while we continue to evaluate and if you're not willing to do what we're telling you, then someone else will". 

Trading Stafford would require ownership to sign off on it, one way or another. It is just as likely for them to push for that kind of move as it is for Quinn to ask for their permission if he did want to make that trade. 

If Sheila and co. are deciding to move on from Patricia and opting for yet another rebuild, they could decide that Stafford deserves to finish out his career somewhere better suited to compete for championships in the next 2-3 years. They love the guy but that would be doing the best thing for both Stafford and rebuilding of the organization. 

The Colts are my #1 candidate.

-  AFC team > Not a direct competitor to Detroit en route to SB unless in the game

- Play inside a dome (Stafford has played his career inside a dome)

- Have a solid OL

- Have a running game

- Have a solid defense

- AFC South is made up of Jags (rebuilding), Titans (COVID) and Texans (rebuilding) > Ample opportunity to win the division

- Aging QB on a 1 year deal

- Lots of cap space for 2021 (2nd most in NFL in 2021 at $76M)

7 minutes ago, MortexLion said:

Yeah lets make up scenarios to trade the best player on our team..how stupid and for the guy that made this post you really think Dallas CowGirls will make the playoffs this year LMAO Dem Boyz be on meth or something!

I know right!?!? It's very rare to ever see first place teams in their division make the playoffs!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MortexLion said:

Yeah lets make up scenarios to trade the best player on our team..how stupid and for the guy that made this post you really think Dallas CowGirls will make the playoffs this year LMAO Dem Boyz be on meth or something!

I'd say that's a reasonable use of an internet discussion forum.

• Like 1

Just now, MortexLion said:

I love Stafford. He's 32 years old. He has a solid 4 years left before he's likely on the decline and more of a liability than an asset. If the Lions do move on from Patricia we are looking at another rebuild which will take 2-3 years. So we would now have a 35 year old Stafford with a $30M+ cap hit when the team is ripe to compete. At that point Stafford is more likely to lose them games than he is to win. 

The best scenario for both sides is to trade Stafford to a team where he can have instant success and remain successful for the next few years of his prime while getting assets back to help rebuild for the future. I'd rather see Stafford win a SB wearing Honolulu Blue but there is nothing indicating that we're going to be in the playoffs in the short term let alone in the big game. 

The only reason to trade Stafford is if you think the team needs 2-3 years of serious work before competing. And to be honest...maybe it does. We don't exactly have a ton of pieces that we could sell off for future value, and the defense might not have a single, proven building block out there. 

Stafford is 32, which isn't old for a QB. It's possible that he plays at a high level for 8-10 more years. It's also possible that he falls apart. He has dealt with back issues and so far has not had a particularly good season. Maybe it's rust, or frustration or the pressure to carry the team, but he hasn't been great. Maybe a new regime wants to get ahead of the future collapse and build toward the future. 

I don't know. I don't think that the Lions will trade Stafford and I don't really want them to, but I can see reasons for and against it. 

• Like 2

He’s not playing at a high level now, highly doubtful he’s playing at a high level in 8-10 years.  

Theres is absolutely nothing to build on with this team right now, talent is completely non existent.  What would make anyone think this team would be better a year or 2 from now just by staying the course?  Development?  Bad players are bad players.  Only thing they’ve got is bad contracts on aging players who were never worth there contracts in the 1st place.  18+ mil a year on de that doesn’t create pressure,  50 mil contract for a backup tackle that can’t block,  30 mil on an aging linebacker who was benched last year and even in his prime was the Pats 3rd best backer.  Tear it all down.  Rebuilding isn’t this “option” people seem to be debating it to be.  They suck just as bad as if they were rebuilding and it’s only gonna get worse.  There gonna be terrible the next few years regardless 

Edited by BigC421/
  • Like 1