Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
HOF19

Is it risky for Reich to stand by Rivers too much ???

Recommended Posts

41 minutes ago, Leoric said:

I'm the biggest Rivers homer out there but time has caught up with him. He no longer has the quick out's that bailed him out earlier in his career. His funky release just doesn't have the push it used to. He will still have a good game here and there but I think his limitations put him in more of a back up role at this stage in his career if he wants to keep playing. He could Johny Unitas it with a team where he comes in deep in the playoffs and has a few good games but he's just not up for the week after week beatings anymore. As a chargers poster pointed out to me last year, he also puts more work on his offensive line and makes them look worse then they are. Not that he holds the ball post snap, it's his presnap reads that just force the offensive to stay down too long and wear themselves out before the ball is even snapped.

 

All that being said, I don't think the Colts are better with Jacoby. They need to make a move for a legitimate quarterback this off season.

Makes his OL worse? I mean he’s not mobile. But it’s always the other way around. His quick release, presnap reads, and protection calls are what made the OL better than they actually are. His best years are when he had a reliable center to help with the protection calls so he doesn’t have as much responsibilities on his plate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

He honestly strikes me as just a weird fit, stylistically, for that team. Like, looking at the game against the Browns, you had a special teams touchdown, the defense had two interceptions, the OL only allowed 1 sack, the run game was functional at a little over 4 yards per carry, like the whole team around him played solid football, and they basically lost on the points from his two big mistakes, the pick six and the intentional grounding safety. That was the 9 point swing, at least. And part of me feels like Rivers had gotten so used to having to play hero ball and be the carry for some either bad, banged up, or both Chargers teams, and he doesn't know how to let the team just carry him. That team took Brissett to 7-8, and the talent has gotten better this year. All he really needs to be is a better version of Brissett and they'd go a long way. But instead it feels like they traded getting an extra ~50 passing yards per game for like 3 times as many INTs. And that's going to be a mixed bag of better sometimes and worse others.

I thought he was the perfect fit for this team. Much better than Tampa because of his familiarity with Reich and the better OL. He’s just carrying the mistakes from last year over which is the difference from previous humps (ie. 2016 vs 2017).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Wyld Stallyns said:

Eason isn’t ready yet, he has the arm and can make the throws but with little to no training camp and no preseason he doesn’t have the experience to fall back on. I wouldn’t be surprised if maybe later in the season they throw him in in a couple situations but not as a starter 

They'll either give him the last couple games of the season, or give him a chance next year. Agreed he's not ready right now. But he has great potential. Reminds me of Josh Allen in a lot of ways.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What's there to stand by? We all knew what this was from the outset. Rivers wasn't meant to be a long-term solution. He was meant to provide reasonably solid and experienced QB play for a year, two years max, until they decide a younger guy is ready (probably Eason). Reich would be crazy to count on him for anything more than that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, y*so*blu said:

What's there to stand by? We all knew what this was from the outset. Rivers wasn't meant to be a long-term solution. He was meant to provide reasonably solid and experienced QB play for a year, two years max, until they decide a younger guy is ready (probably Eason). Reich would be crazy to count on him for anything more than that.

I am sure you know NFL fan bases .....It ain't never about .....long term ....It is about now ......now.....now......now.....now.. This morning I heard WFNI Indianapolis.......FOX NFL show.........ESPN NFL show ......NBC NFL show ......And NFL Network say ...."He (Rivers) can not throw the 10-15 yard sideline routes or throw deep ANYMORE !!!!!.....I AGREE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Bearerofnews said:

Give Rivers a clean pocket and he is top 5-7, still. Colts oline in their losses looked like garbage, overrated, injured and did not protect HOF Rivers. Rivers skill is not, at this age and wear and tear one that can play efficiently anymore under duress. 

Protect Rivers and watch it rain.

It's hard to tell if you're joking or being serious / living in the past (when he was top 5-7 - definitely not HOF though). 
Rivers isn't even a top 20 QB anymore. Top 5-7 still? Good one! Indy has one of the best OL in the league (or at least above-average)
Protect Rivers and watch it rain.. because he's washed up

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 person (and only 1 person ) still believes in Rivers (An article by a Colts writer)>>>>>> 

  • By: Kevin Bowen

FRANK REICH: PHILIP RIVERS PLAYED REALLY GOOD FOOTBALL IN LOSS TO BROWNS

INDIANAPOLIS – That’s what Frank Reich considers ‘really good football’ from the most important position in football?

Many would like to have had Reich as a teacher grading papers back in the day.       Article link >>>>> https://www.1075thefan.com/kevins-sports-news/frank-reich-philip-rivers-played-really-good-football-in-loss-to-browns/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Xenos said:

Makes his OL worse? I mean he’s not mobile. But it’s always the other way around. His quick release, presnap reads, and protection calls are what made the OL better than they actually are. His best years are when he had a reliable center to help with the protection calls so he doesn’t have as much responsibilities on his plate.

I think it was Duffman that pointed out how Rivers keeps them in the down position for longer then any quarterback in the league. Granted like you said it's because he is making all the calls, for receivers and the offensive line but it's an interesting point. Having them tensed up in that position for as long as he does may impact their ability explode into blocks. IColts had a decent line last year and Rivers is the variable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

He honestly strikes me as just a weird fit, stylistically, for that team. Like, looking at the game against the Browns, you had a special teams touchdown, the defense had two interceptions, the OL only allowed 1 sack, the run game was functional at a little over 4 yards per carry, like the whole team around him played solid football, and they basically lost on the points from his two big mistakes, the pick six and the intentional grounding safety. That was the 9 point swing, at least. And part of me feels like Rivers had gotten so used to having to play hero ball and be the carry for some either bad, banged up, or both Chargers teams, and he doesn't know how to let the team just carry him. That team took Brissett to 7-8, and the talent has gotten better this year. All he really needs to be is a better version of Brissett and they'd go a long way. But instead it feels like they traded getting an extra ~50 passing yards per game for like 3 times as many INTs. And that's going to be a mixed bag of better sometimes and worse others.

Agreed with your overall point, but even though the OL only gave up one sack yesterday, Cleveland's pass rush was absolutely messing with Rivers. He constantly had a rusher in his face which caused him to be off on several throws. Doesn't help that Rivers is totally immobile, but his OL wasn't helping him much yesterday. But that was mainly because they were starting their backup at LT, who Myles Garrett was just abusing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HOF19 said:

1 person (and only 1 person ) still believes in Rivers (An article by a Colts writer)>>>>>> 

...and that one person is the only one who has a say in the matter. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, ET80 said:

...and that one person is the only one who has a say in the matter. 

HOF GM said:

"If you start listening to the fans, pretty soon you'll be sitting with the fans"

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, ET80 said:

...and that one person is the only one who has a say in the matter. 

That is OK....But very soon (or it allready happened) the Colts owner will have a get-together with his head coach and inform him that sticking with Rivers (even if the Colts head coach and Rivers are very buddy-buddy) that sticking with Rivers WILL start damaging the Colts head coaches JOB SECURITY !!!!!!!!!!

Edited by HOF19

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Colts Media recently have not been very kind when talking about the Colts head coaches recent game decisions either .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Leoric said:

I think it was Duffman that pointed out how Rivers keeps them in the down position for longer then any quarterback in the league. Granted like you said it's because he is making all the calls, for receivers and the offensive line but it's an interesting point. Having them tensed up in that position for as long as he does may impact their ability explode into blocks. IColts had a decent line last year and Rivers is the variable.

I respect Duffman’s opinion. You’ll have to send me the link. Though I respectfully disagree. I don’t think that has anything to do with it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, HOF19 said:

That is OK....But very soon (or it allready happened) the Colts owner will have a get-together with his head coach and inform him that sticking with Rivers (even if the Colts head coach and Rivers are very buddy-buddy) that sticking with rivers WILL start damaging the Colts head coaches JOB SECURITY !!!!!!!!!!

Why would he do that?

An owner forcing his HC into a decision based on what some fans want, after a bad game, is no way to run a franchise.

Second, it is not exactly like the Colts have anyone on the roster clearly better than Rivers, benching Rivers, then quite possibly collapsing with his back up, would be possibly even more damaging than sticking with Rivers.

Edited by Kael

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...