Is it risky for Reich to stand by Rivers too much ???

HOF19

2 minutes ago, Kael said:

Why would he do that?

An owner forcing his HC into a decision based on what some fans want, after a bad game, is no way to run a franchise.

Second, it is not exactly like the Colts have anyone on the roster clearly better than Rivers, benching Rivers, then quite possibly collapsing with his back up, would be possibly even more damaging than sticking with Rivers.

This morning I heard WFNI Indianapolis.......FOX NFL show.........ESPN NFL show ......NBC NFL show ......And NFL Network say ...."He (Rivers) can not throw the 10-15 yard sideline routes or throw deep ANYMORE !!!!!.....I AGREE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.........NUFF SAID !!!!!.....The general opinion is because of that Colts can't use 50% of their playbook .

18 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

HOF GM said:

"If you start listening to the fans, pretty soon you'll be sitting with the fans"

This morning I heard WFNI Indianapolis.......FOX NFL show.........ESPN NFL show ......NBC NFL show ......And NFL Network say ...."He (Rivers) can not throw the 10-15 yard sideline routes or throw deep ANYMORE !!!!! (Alot of those guys on those shows where ex-nfl players including some QBS !)......NOT FANS !

Edited by HOF19

9 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I bet you he'd listen to WFNI Indianapolis...

It was just sad watching him play in that uniform .....Didn't even last a season (from an article on internet) >>>>>> " The last time Unitas played a professional snap was with the Chargers, playing just four games for the team in 1973 before being benched for another all-time great, Dan Fouts."(yes Johnny U was benched).....He stayed too long  (Maybe just like Mr. Rivers ) ....And thanx ET80 for helping make my point !!!!!!!

• Like 2

Just now, HOF19 said:

It was just sad watching him play in that uniform .....Didn't even last a season (from an article on internet) >>>>>> " The last time Unitas played a professional snap was with the Chargers, playing just four games for the team in 1973 before being benched for another all-time great, Dan Fouts."(yes Johnny U was benched).....He stayed too long  (Maybe just like Mr. Rivers ) ....And thanx ET80 for helping make my point !!!!!!!

Your enthusiasm makes me smile. Stick around, we need more Colts fans. 😊

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MagicMT said:

It's hard to tell if you're joking or being serious / living in the past (when he was top 5-7 - definitely not HOF though). 
Rivers isn't even a top 20 QB anymore. Top 5-7 still? Good one! Indy has one of the best OL in the league (or at least above-average)
Protect Rivers and watch it rain.. because he's washed up

Dead serious. Next game they will give him a clean pocket for him to be able to step into passes and everyone will say Rivers still has it. It's all in the protection for Rivers. He doesn't need long. Just a clean enough pocket that he isnt rushing to force bad passes because he is timid of being continously hammered like he was as a Charger. 

He was awful against Cleveland, but I think people are definitely overstating how bad he's been thus far. 

He's still a clear improvement over Brissett, and there isn't a QB on the market worth giving up any future assets for that would make the Colts any likelier to win the Super Bowl this year.

32 minutes ago, Blazer026 said:

I’ve always been a Brissett fan. Not sure how Colts fans feel about him 

There are so many different types of “Colt’s fans” on social media. 

• those calling for Rivers to be benched 

• those calling for Eason to start 

• those chastising Ballard for cutting Swag Kelly because he should be starting for us 🤨 (I’ve blocked a few Twitter accounts for this stance) 

• those who remember seeing Brissett last year and don’t want to see him ever again

And me, I was ok going into this season with Brissett for one more year. Was not a fan of bringing in Rivers. I was fully on board with drafting Jordan Love. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Wyld Stallyns said:

There are so many different types of “Colt’s fans” on social media. 

• those calling for Rivers to be benched 

• those calling for Eason to start 

• those chastising Ballard for cutting Swag Kelly because he should be starting for us 🤨 (I’ve blocked a few Twitter accounts for this stance) 

• those who remember seeing Brissett last year and don’t want to see him ever again

And me, I was ok going into this season with Brissett for one more year. Was not a fan of bringing in Rivers. I was fully on board with drafting Jordan Love. 

My hope was that we go with Jacoby 1 more year (While drafting a QB that would be our future)

Risky for Reich going forward? No, not at all. 

The guy got a bomb dropped on him with Luck's early retirement. He responded by managing a Jacoby Brissett-led team to a 7-9 record with 6 1-score losses in a division with 2 playoff teams. 

That's a situation where if a QB of Rivers' caliber comes available, you give it a shot. Either Rivers pulls it together and you see what Eason develops into or you gun for a QB in 2021.

Either way, Reich has proven his chops enough that they could finish 3-13 and he's probably safe, and rightfully so. The Colts knew Rivers was a twilight shot in the dark and my guess is Ballard and Irsay both fully understood that. The chances of Rivers being back as the starter for 2021 and beyond were already slim. 

Reich is safe whether Rivers stinks the joint up or not. At least through the 2021 season. 

5 hours ago, Blackstar12 said:

Crazy thing is he’s struggling on the easy part of the schedule. They still have to face Ravens, Steelers, Titans x2, Packers not good.

That's the irritating part of Rivers. He will absolutely stink it up or,  play down to the level of his competition. Then turn around and be absolutely heroic against teams he should have no chance against. But in his advanced age that is increasingly unlikely.

It was blatantly obvious that Rivers' arm was dead last year. Not sure why anyone would expect any different this year. You mix a dead arm with a QB who likes to take the risks and make the throws that RIvers likes to make, and you get, well, what Rivers has been since last year, a middling to below average QB. Rivers just a few years ago on this current Colts team would be terrifying. Glad I don't have to experience that, had enough terrorizing from Luck and Manning over the years.

• Like 1