Will the 49ers miss the playoffs?

Slingin' Sammy

Before the season I was checking on  some teams schedule and I thought SF had the easiest first 5 games. 5-0 was not only expected but it was a must for a team looking to get back in the SB... Now they are 2-3. Only beat the 2 worst football teams in the league. Oh, and after the season started it's not like some of those teams proved the consensus wrong. You could say Arizona improved but by how much?

Now they face a brutal schedule and I wouldn't be surprised if they go 1-6 or 0-7 in their next 7 games.

7 hours ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

They are battered and came through their easy stretch just 2-3 instead of 4-1 as they should have, at minimum (if they were any good). Schedule only gets harder. I see 6 to 7 wins, but I won't count out defending NFC champs, 9-7 could happen, and that could sneak them into playoffs.

Their whole passing game is just a mess right now between QBs and pass protection. Shanny will need to figure something out quick if they want to have any hope of a playoff run.

I'm not counting them out either. Next week they will be playing for their season, and on national TV. We've struggled against Shanahan, so I could easily see the Niners beating the Rams next week

Shanahan is familiar with Matt Ryan and Ryan played well under his tutelage.
Falcons are re-building so trading Ryan to SF might be a consideration - it might also help Falcons in getting out from under cap mess they have
The 9ers are ready to win now, not sure they can afford the grooming time needed for a top rookie or if they can even get in position to grab one 

3 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

Shanahan is familiar with Matt Ryan and Ryan played well under his tutelage.
Falcons are re-building so trading Ryan to SF might be a consideration - it might also help Falcons in getting out from under cap mess they have
The 9ers are ready to win now, not sure they can afford the grooming time needed for a top rookie or if they can even get in position to grab one 

I just checked OTC, looks like next year he's 3.5M underwater if they trade him. They may be willing to do that if they secure Lawrence or Fields. 

Kind of rooting for them to bottom out now lol

19 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Niners might finish with 7-8 wins. Jimmy looked rusty, everyone seems banged up, and Bosa was clearly by far the best player on their football team. 

They will probably be back to 11-12 win dominant form in 2021, with an added Top 10 pick. 

They are missing Buckner too, dudes an animal and way underrated. 

• Like 2

They're getting lapped by the Seahawks for the division, and lagging behind the Rams for a WC spot. They still have 4 games against those two teams but right now those look more likely to just leave them further behind. Honestly, with their injuries, and the seeming regression of Jimmy G over the past year, it's hard to find a lot of wins left on their schedule. Go look, it's tough to even find a way to 8-8. 6 wins seems more likely.

1 hour ago, blizofoz45 said:

That Patriots shine seems to be wearing off Garrapolo.  

Not going to jump off the Kyle Shanahan bandwagon though.  They won as a team in every phase last year...that's the sign of a good HC.

If I'm Lynch/Shanny, I'm keeping very close tabs on NYJ. If Darnold ever hits the market, I'm making an offer - see if there's a "buy low" opportunity to be had. Offer up a 2022 4th and a 2023 3rd, see if that can get the job done.

He'll be 24 next season - he's actually younger than Joe Burrow and a month older than Kyler Murray. I could see Darnold doing some significant damage in a Shanahan offense - he could be similar to Matt Schaub or Matt Ryan with some polish, and Kyle is actually a whisperer who could get Darnold out of his funk.

2 minutes ago, ET80 said:

If I'm Lynch/Shanny, I'm keeping very close tabs on NYJ. If Darnold ever hits the market, I'm making an offer - see if there's a "buy low" opportunity to be had. Offer up a 2022 4th and a 2023 3rd, see if that can get the job done.

He'll be 24 next season - he's actually younger than Joe Burrow and a month older than Kyler Murray. I could see Darnold doing some significant damage in a Shanahan offense - he could be similar to Matt Schaub or Matt Ryan with some polish, and Kyle is actually a whisperer who could get Darnold out of his funk.

Not a bad idea. So far it looks like Shanny and Lynch are a solid combo and have a good thing going. They may have just whiffed on the guy they really thought would be a stud in Jimmy G, but they should get another full crack at it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DannyB said:

From this vantage point, I count one more game this season where the Niners will DEFINITELY be favored, and up to three others where they MIGHT be. Again, a lot depends on how the current injury landscape shapes up.

Agreed. at this current moment, only the Washington Football Team they would be favored against

others:

rams

at ne

at sea

gb

at NO

at rams

buffalo

at dallas

at arizona

seattle

Edited by Malfatron

3 hours ago, Geezy said:

They are missing Buckner too, dudes an animal and way underrated. 

Yeah, we are very deep at DT though, but have no DEs. so missing bosa hurts more than buckner for that reason

As for the question of the thread, after yesterday it seems unlikely we make the playoffs, sadly

Every time we (or I) see a super bowl team tank the following year, I ask - how can this be?

I remember when Tampa ('02) won the super bowl, with that awesome defense. I really enjoyed their games that year.
The next year... [glub glub glub] - right down the tube. I think they got 7 wins, NOT the same team at all.

So we come back here to the 49ers. Who would have guessed this? What a shame.

Edited by Split the Sticks