Week 5 - Rams vs. Seahawks

RamRod

I'm going to leave it with this because I have no interest in taking this conversation any further. Watkins displayed terrible effort against Seattle. His body language wasn't any better. After the game, he engaged in a diva-like tantrum on twitter. And after all that, y'all's response is, "We need to focus on getting Watkins the ball!" On the other hand, Robert Woods showed up, made plays, and acted like a leader. I don't see anyone here demanding we focus on getting Robert the ball. Leading a football team is all about setting the right example to reinforce your culture. Our culture is "We not me." Giving Sammy Watkins the attention he's demanding, not because he's earned it but because he feels he's entitled to it, is not reinforcing our culture.

I'm perfectly fine with Watkins getting the ball on Sunday if he earns it. What I'm not in favor of is designing our offense around the guy who hung his teammates out to dry last week because we "need" to appease him. If Watkins wants the ball, he needs to get open and make an effort. If he keeps doing that, Goff will find him. Our offense is perfectly fine with or without Watkins producing. Forcing Watkins the ball isn't going to make our offense better. Watkins getting open and earning looks will.

2 hours ago, jrry32 said:

I'm going to leave it with this because I have no interest in taking this conversation any further. Watkins displayed terrible effort against Seattle. His body language wasn't any better. After the game, he engaged in a diva-like tantrum on twitter. And after all that, y'all's response is, "We need to focus on getting Watkins the ball!" On the other hand, Robert Woods showed up, made plays, and acted like a leader. I don't see anyone here demanding we focus on getting Robert the ball. Leading a football team is all about setting the right example to reinforce your culture. Our culture is "We not me." Giving Sammy Watkins the attention he's demanding, not because he's earned it but because he feels he's entitled to it, is not reinforcing our culture.

I'm perfectly fine with Watkins getting the ball on Sunday if he earns it. What I'm not in favor of is designing our offense around the guy who hung his teammates out to dry last week because we "need" to appease him. If Watkins wants the ball, he needs to get open and make an effort. If he keeps doing that, Goff will find him. Our offense is perfectly fine with or without Watkins producing. Forcing Watkins the ball isn't going to make our offense better. Watkins getting open and earning looks will.

Have you even listened to both McVays and Watkins interview response regarding the above statement, effort wise? Check it out on The Rams Official Website if you haven't...I think you're looking too far into it

6 minutes ago, RamPackFan said:

Have you even listened to both McVays and Watkins interview response regarding the above statement, effort wise? Check it out on The Rams Official Website if you haven't...I think you're looking too far into it

Jared Goff spoke to Sammy Watkins about pulling up midway through his deep route. "He was a little bit confused on what we were doing," Goff said. "It's nothing that can't be fixed overnight. It's not characteristic from him at all. I don't expect that to happen."

“Sammy’s a player that, he wants to be involved,” he said. “You never know when your opportunity is going to come, but let’s just make sure that snap in and snap out, you continue to compete and contribute to the best of your ability.

“Sometimes when you don’t get your number targeted it can be a little bit misleading. And that’s what I appreciate about Sammy is, I think he took [the conversation] the right way and expect him to respond the right way.”

2 hours ago, jrry32 said:

You're leaving out ONE other key piece to Wakins' statement. Go watch HIS interview when the reporter asked him - it was basically miscommunication where he thought Earl Thomas was in a different coverage...it had NOTHING to do with him being lazy or giving little effort and MORE to do with him misreading the coverage and/or miscommunication between him and Goff. 

http://www.therams.com/videos/videos/Sammy-Watkins-Post-Practice-Interview-10-11/2d96a81d-08cb-410c-8755-9efd5fd56465 1:05 mark is the question/answer

Only one throwing a temper tantrum here is jrry and it is hysterical.

Watkins has earned the targets in my eyes. We play better as an offense when he is being targeted more. Compared to actual WR Diva's, his actions were mild and in my eyes justified. I can't find the clip on twitter, but there's a play from last week where he had his man completely beat and if Goff was even looking in his direction it would have been a 60yard TD. If you're going to focus on the deep ball he gave up on, I will focus on that play where we left one on the field because the QB didn't have the vision to see it. But that will come with time. He gets the ball more, we score more points, we win games, he gets a contract. Everyone wins. OR we can tell him he's not trying hard enough, run him out of town, waste our 2nd round pick, watch him sign with the 49ers next year, use our 1st round pick on a WR that will take 2 years to get up to speed.

No. Just give him the damn ball and shut up about it.

15 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

Watkins has earned the targets in my eyes. We play better as an offense when he is being targeted more. Compared to actual WR Diva's, his actions were mild and in my eyes justified. I can't find the clip on twitter, but there's a play from last week where he had his man completely beat and if Goff was even looking in his direction it would have been a 60yard TD. If you're going to focus on the deep ball he gave up on, I will focus on that play where we left one on the field because the QB didn't have the vision to see it. But that will come with time. He gets the ball more, we score more points, we win games, he gets a contract. Everyone wins. OR we can tell him he's not trying hard enough, run him out of town, waste our 2nd round pick, watch him sign with the 49ers next year, use our 1st round pick on a WR that will take 2 years to get up to speed.

0mKXcg1.gif

18 hours ago, RamPackFan said:

You're leaving out ONE other key piece to Wakins' statement. Go watch HIS interview when the reporter asked him - it was basically miscommunication where he thought Earl Thomas was in a different coverage...it had NOTHING to do with him being lazy or giving little effort and MORE to do with him misreading the coverage and/or miscommunication between him and Goff. 

http://www.therams.com/videos/videos/Sammy-Watkins-Post-Practice-Interview-10-11/2d96a81d-08cb-410c-8755-9efd5fd56465 1:05 mark is the question/answer

That's the problem, dude. He thought Earl Thomas was going to stay as the single-high safety. That meant he was the decoy, so he quit on his route. Problem was that Earl Thomas tried to cover the crossing route and vacated the middle of the field. Watkins quit on his route because he misread the play. That's no surprise. The fact that he quit on his route at all is the problem, and that's why Sean McVay felt he needed to talk to him about it.

I'm not gonna label Watkins as "lazy" or a "quitter" out there on the field. Did he not had to go into concussion protocol because he went out there Week 3 against the Niners and fought his way for a tough TD on his 2nd TD catch and run? Nobody that I've seen on here praised him for that but is quick to say he quit on a route. I personally didn't think he quit. I thought he was confused on the play. I respect the opinion of those who think he quit on the play but again I just think that just labeling someone who gives half/no effort is an insult again especially since just two weeks ago he got a tough 12yd TD catch and run where he got banged up and entered concussion protocol for it. That's not lazy or quitting to me. 

13 minutes ago, stl4life07 said:

I'm not gonna label Watkins as "lazy" or a "quitter" out there on the field. Did he not had to go into concussion protocol because he went out there Week 3 against the Niners and fought his way for a tough TD on his 2nd TD catch and run? Nobody that I've seen on here praised him for that but is quick to say he quit on a route.

You're completely wrong about that. A number of people, including myself, praised Sammy for fighting his way into the end-zone during the game. It was a great play. You can make great plays and also quit on other plays. Watkins hasn't proven himself to be a quitter yet, but if he keeps pulling the same crap he pulled against Seattle, he'll earn that label.

I personally didn't think he quit. I thought he was confused on the play. I respect the opinion of those who think he quit on the play but again I just think that just labeling someone who gives half/no effort is an insult again especially since just two weeks ago he got a tough 12yd TD catch and run where he got banged up and entered concussion protocol for it. That's not lazy or quitting to me. 

Direct quote from Sean McVay: "You never know when your opportunity is going to come, but let’s just make sure that snap in and snap out, you continue to compete and contribute to the best of your ability." 

There's no mistaking what he's saying.

P.S. Here's Britt making a similar play:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000721624/Kenny-Britt-fights-for-9-yard-TD

Britt was still a quitter. Now, Watkins hasn't earned that label like Britt has. I hope he doesn't, but it's clear that he quit on that play.

29 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

You're completely wrong about that. A number of people, including myself, praised Sammy for fighting his way into the end-zone during the game. It was a great play. You can make great plays and also quit on other plays. Watkins hasn't proven himself to be a quitter yet, but if he keeps pulling the same crap he pulled against Seattle, he'll earn that label.

Direct quote from Sean McVay: "You never know when your opportunity is going to come, but let’s just make sure that snap in and snap out, you continue to compete and contribute to the best of your ability." 

There's no mistaking what he's saying.

P.S. Here's Britt making a similar play:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000721624/Kenny-Britt-fights-for-9-yard-TD

Britt was still a quitter. Now, Watkins hasn't earned that label like Britt has. I hope he doesn't, but it's clear that he quit on that play.

That's why I said "of what I've seen on here". Like I do agree people can make plays and then give no effort on others but I can't recall some who put their body on the line (which Watkins did on that TD) then in another game quit on a route. If anyone calls Watkins quitter, the Dallas game is perfect example of a game he could've quit because he wasn't targeted but twice in a game the Rams scored 35pts. Yet in the 4th Quarter when the Rams called on Watkins he made a big catch to keep the chains moving. Again, I'm with you I that Watkins shouldn't be labeled a quitter but to me to claim he quit on the route and not think first that he probably just got confused is just insulting the player. 

9 minutes ago, stl4life07 said:

That's why I said "of what I've seen on here". Like I do agree people can make plays and then give no effort on others but I can't recall some who put their body on the line (which Watkins did on that TD) then in another game quit on a route. If anyone calls Watkins quitter, the Dallas game is perfect example of a game he could've quit because he wasn't targeted but twice in a game the Rams scored 35pts. Yet in the 4th Quarter when the Rams called on Watkins he made a big catch to keep the chains moving. Again, I'm with you I that Watkins shouldn't be labeled a quitter but to me to claim he quit on the route and not think first that he probably just got confused is just insulting the player. 

It's clear he quit on the route. His Head Coach confirmed he did. Watch the tape. It's clear as day. He stopped running in the middle of his route. A confused player doesn't do that. A confused player runs the wrong route. I have no doubt that Watkins was confused on the coverage, but that only explains why he quit on his route.

And I just showed you Britt putting his body on the line. We both know he quit on routes in other games.

Did you miss this quote of McVay ? 

McVay hinted, with deftness, at a third-quarter play when Goff overthrew Watkins on a deep route. Watkins didn’t run at full speed until he glanced back and saw the ball headed his way.

The Rams, earlier, had run a similar play in which Watkins essentially was a blocking decoy, and McVay indicated that Watkins didn’t expect to be a target.

“We wanted to be able to capitalize on that,” McVay said, “and because we weren’t all on the same page, it didn’t work out that way for us. But I think that’s a learning opportunity for everybody on our offense, including Sammy, so that if it does happen again, we’re not sitting here in that same situation.”

This quote clearly said yes he stopped on the route because the first play he was just blocking and he thought the second play was the same thing.  

On 10/13/2017 at 9:03 AM, BStanRamFan said:

PREACH. These same people will defend Tavon Austin. Its hilarious.

10 hours ago, Flounch said:

Did you miss this quote of McVay ? 

This quote clearly said yes he stopped on the route because the first play he was just blocking and he thought the second play was the same thing.  

You're now contending that Watkins thought it was a running play? Read what you quoted again. WATKINS DIDN'T EXPECT TO BE A TARGET. And then there's this McVay quote:

“Sammy’s a player that, he wants to be involved,” he said. “You never know when your opportunity is going to come, but let’s just make sure that snap in and snap out, you continue to compete and contribute to the best of your ability.

“Sometimes when you don’t get your number targeted it can be a little bit misleading. And that’s what I appreciate about Sammy is, I think he took [the conversation] the right way and expect him to respond the right way.”

It's clear what happened on that play. McVay isn't saying any differently. He's doing his best to protect the player by making you read between the lines, but it's clearly there.

1 hour ago, S-jax39 said:

PREACH. These same people will defend Tavon Austin. Its hilarious.

Says the fan who threw out "SOSAR" the other day.

Yes, I will defend Austin. He screws up, but he's trying at least. I won't defend him on punt returns anymore because he doesn't deserve to be our PR at this point. But I will defend him from ridiculous critiques (such as: Tavon Austin should be benched because he brings nothing to our offense).

This sub-forum is such a toxic place.

Jrry, cmon man. It was a sorry *** move. In no world does ogletree deserve that contract. Am i supposed to look the other way when hes been downright awful? Im not going to. Its not toxic to call out downright awful moves. Its called holding your team accountable.

I agree Watkins shouldn't of quit on that one play. But you have to acknowledge the fact that we need to get him the ball more, period. To say otherwise is just being stubborn. To harp this much on a single play seems ridiculous to me.

Archived