Week 5 - Rams vs. Seahawks

RamRod

2 minutes ago, Flounch said:

i didn't say he run a wrong route, he wasn't aware of ONE play. I didn't see other play where he was lazy but maybe you will show me some video evidence... 

It has nothing to do with awareness. He quit on his route. That isn't an awareness issue. It's an effort issue. That bugs me more than anything else. Mistakes happen, but there's NEVER an excuse for a player on the field to be giving less than 100%.

My thoughts on the game:

The Rams offense is for real, they just need to work on their inside the 20 offense. Gurley fumble on the first drive was unfortunate. Zeurlein missed chip shot I thought maybe rushed it a bit because there was pressure from the right side. That was unfortunate. Goff tripping that hurt the Rams down and distance which I thought McVay shouldve ran then kicked the FG. Instead Goff threw it on a screen that was unfortunately intercepted. So thats just 3 trips inside the 20 that the Rams came away with no points. Of course everyone is talking about the last play which Kupp dropped. Kupp is used to making difficult catches. He made one early in the game where he jumped super high to catch the ball. He made another one I believe in the Washington game. I cant expect him to make every difficult catch but I guess I am spoiled by him making them that I am like he shouldve made that catch. Its gonna haunt him all week long. I think he grows from that and I expect him to make the next tough pass thrown his way in the future.

As for Goff, he made questionable/bad passes but he also made some big time throws. This game was on his shoulders because the Seahawks shut down Gurley. Goff nearly brought the Rams back with a GW TD. One thing I liked on that last drive was Goff moved Earl Thomas with his eyes and completed big plays to Higbee and Woods. So he did learn from Week 2 against Washington where he stared down Kupp on the last drive which led to a game sealing interception by Jones.

Again the Rams offense is for real, they just need to work on redzone efficiency. For them to move up and down the field against Seattle was fun to watch. Goff was only sacked 2x but one was him tripping and falling down. The other sack was a clean sack by Clark. He beat Whitworth (which rarely happens so I had to tip my cap off to Clark). Other than that, Goff was getting some really good protection. I feel good about that heading into the Jags game. If the oline can protect Goff against that Seattle front 7, they can do it against anyone.

As for the defense, they finally showed up for a full game. They took what they did against Dallas in the 2nd half and carried it over to the Seattle game. Only one great drive by Seattle which led to a TD. Other than that, the Rams made them punt, forced two turnovers, and settle for FGs. The run defense was lights out. That gives me confidence when they head to face Fournette. If they can slow him down, they will have tons of success against Bortles.

Overall, it will be interesting to see how McVay and this offense respond next week. They left alot of points off the board by not cashing in on those trips inside the 20. Ill say that it stings because the Rams lost this game more than Seattle winning it.

We got screwed on the Gurley fumble call. The ball should have been dead at the 1. Gurley touched it while out of bounds. He doesn't have to possess the ball since he's out of bounds, he only has to be touching it after his foot hit down out of bounds. His finger was still touching the ball when his foot hit out of bounds. That should have been our ball at the 1, not Seattle's ball at the 20.

4 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

We got screwed on the Gurley fumble call. The ball should have been dead at the 1. Gurley touched it while out of bounds. He doesn't have to possess the ball since he's out of bounds, he only has to be touching it after his foot hit down out of bounds. His finger was still touching the ball when his foot hit out of bounds. That should have been our ball at the 1, not Seattle's ball at the 20.

If that's the case, that's huge, but still shouldn't have cost us the game since it was on the first drive. 

8 minutes ago, JonStark said:

If that's the case, that's huge, but still shouldn't have cost us the game since it was on the first drive. 

Nah. We cost ourselves the game, but the NFL is the one making the calls on these replays. It would be nice if they knew their own rules:

b2N4OrM.jpg

12 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

The broadcasters was mentioning that if the ball was fumbled inside the pylon then its a touchback. The ball was fumbled and it went outside the pylon. I agree it shouldve been Rams ball at the 1. That play possibly changed the game for Gurley because he was rolling on the first drive.

8 minutes ago, stl4life07 said:

The broadcasters was mentioning that if the ball was fumbled inside the pylon then its a touchback. The ball was fumbled and it went outside the pylon. I agree it shouldve been Rams ball at the 1. That play possibly changed the game for Gurley because he was rolling on the first drive.

If it hits the pylon, it's a touchback (just like if Gurley hits the pylon with control of it, it's a TD). That's not the issue. The issue is that Gurley touched the ball before it hit the pylon after he stepped out. That means the play was dead at that spot.

And I should clarify that the refs didn't screw us. The NFL League Office made the call there. I think they forgot that rule.

Man, that game hurts. We should have won that game.....but we blew it. I hate to say it but we gotta get rid of Tavon ASAP.  He's become such a big time liability. I feel like he's hurt us so much this year and I'm afraid he's gonna hold us back. 

I recognize that Watkins had a lack of effort on a play.

I also recognize hes been a good guy and is completely being disrespected in a contract year. Mcvay needs to stop playing around and get our number one guy involved.

2 hours ago, S-jax39 said:

I recognize that Watkins had a lack of effort on a play.

I also recognize hes been a good guy and is completely being disrespected in a contract year. Mcvay needs to stop playing around and get our number one guy involved.

I agree with this. I'm surprised he's not complaining more about not getting touches. I do believe he needs to be involved more because he is very talented. Hopefully McVay finds a way going forwards. 

All I'm gonna say on Watkins is this: Does this seem like the type of coaching staff that will reward a player who got caught taking plays off? If Watkins wants more touches, he should earn them. He had a couple opportunities for big plays today if he was out there giving 100%.

1 hour ago, jrry32 said:

All I'm gonna say on Watkins is this: Does this seem like the type of coaching staff that will reward a player who got caught taking plays off? If Watkins wants more touches, he should earn them. He had a couple opportunities for big plays today if he was out there giving 100%.

So someone we traded a pick for and has shown to be a great talent has to earn it because he took off a play in one game but Tavon can be force fed the ball when hes muffed or bobbled a punt in every game except for one?

Just stop. He deserves a bigger share of the gameplan. In a game where a lot of things werent working we couldve afford to make it a priority to get him the ball. I hope we do that from here on out.

Mcvay is awesome. Hes messing up right here, though.

2 minutes ago, S-jax39 said:

So someone we traded a pick for and has shown to be a great talent has to earn it because he took off a play in one game but Tavon can be force fed the ball when hes muffed or bobbled a punt in every game except for one?

Just stop. He deserves a bigger share of the gameplan. In a game where a lot of things werent working we couldve afford to make it a priority to get him the ball. I hope we do that from here on out.

Mcvay is awesome. Hes messing up right here, though.

Austin got yanked off punt returns because of it. And I have no issue if he gets no more punt returns this year. However, there's a difference between mistakes and a lack of effort.(obviously, Austin making the same mistakes over and over again justifies removing him from punt returns)

It's clear that this coaching staff has no patience for lazy players and me-first players. Hopefully, there's a reason behind what Watkins did. If he wants a greater share of the gameplan, he can go out there and earn it. Until he does, he's not owed anything.

P.S. We tried to get him the ball. He went 0 for 4 on his targets. Goff gave him two chances on deep balls. Watkins looked like he half-arsed both routes. On the other hand, a guy like Robert Woods went out there and made plays when we went to him. 

10 hours ago, jrry32 said:

Show me another play this season where he gave less than 100% aside of the one yesterday? Because I can show you a bunch where he gave more than that.

Archived