Week 5 - Rams vs. Seahawks

RamRod

4 minutes ago, JonStark said:

Show me another play this season where he gave less than 100% aside of the one yesterday? Because I can show you a bunch where he gave more than that.

I honestly think if we got rid of Tavon, Watkins would naturally get more touches.  I have a feeling McVay has fallen for the pressure on NEEDING to include Tavon Austin (due to how much $ is invested in him) vs putting the best players on the field at all times.  Malcom Brown is a much better option in the backfield than Tavon is....his risk is much more than the reward...I don't trust him with the ball in his hands whatsoever. I'm over Tavon - trade him for some CB, OL or LB depth and call it a day.

I don't think Austin is stealing Watkins number. I have nothing against Austin except Mcvay should stop made him return punt. Austin proved that he's usefull in this offense and yesterday TD run was very good ! 

Watkins usage is another thing and targeting Watkins only in deep route i don't think it's a good idea. Goff and Mcvay needs to use his talent, let him make play. 

Only Jerry think that Watkins play like Kenny Britt and give up on play. I didn't see that in the 5 games he played. 

4 hours ago, JonStark said:

Show me another play this season where he gave less than 100% aside of the one yesterday? Because I can show you a bunch where he gave more than that.

The other deep ball Goff threw in the game to Watkins. Maybe he lost it in the sun, but he didn't make much of an effort for it.

I really have no issue with us throwing the ball to Watkins more, but we shouldn't do that because he's Sammy Watkins. We should do that because he's earning the targets. Against Seattle, he didn't earn more targets. I'd love to see him burn the Jaguars and earn more targets. Like I said, though, I don't expect McVay to watch the Seattle film and say, "I MUST get Sammy more targets." I expect he'll be a bit disappointed in Sammy's effort. Maybe Sammy was still sick. That could explain why he was trying to save energy and didn't look himself.

22 hours ago, jrry32 said:

The other deep ball Goff threw in the game to Watkins. Maybe he lost it in the sun, but he didn't make much of an effort for it.

I really have no issue with us throwing the ball to Watkins more, but we shouldn't do that because he's Sammy Watkins. We should do that because he's earning the targets. Against Seattle, he didn't earn more targets. I'd love to see him burn the Jaguars and earn more targets. Like I said, though, I don't expect McVay to watch the Seattle film and say, "I MUST get Sammy more targets." I expect he'll be a bit disappointed in Sammy's effort. Maybe Sammy was still sick. That could explain why he was trying to save energy and didn't look himself.

He earned the targets the minute we traded a 2nd round pick and EJ Gaines for him. He wants to be a number 1. We want him to be a number 1. He went 0-4 on targets and did not give 100% on some plays, but he needs to get 7-10 targets a game. He makes plays with the ball in his hands. Get it to him. I'd be frustrated if I were him, especially in a contract year. WR's are generally diva's and we went out of our way to get him so let's make use of him. McVay better watch the Seattle film and say "I need to get the ball in the hands of my two best playmakers, Gurley and Watkins". If we don't fully utilize him we have wasted valuable resources.

4 hours ago, BStanRamFan said:

He earned the targets the minute we traded a 2nd round pick and EJ Gaines for him. He wants to be a number 1. We want him to be a number 1. He went 0-4 on targets and did not give 100% on some plays, but he needs to get 7-10 targets a game. He makes plays with the ball in his hands. Get it to him. I'd be frustrated if I were him, especially in a contract year. WR's are generally diva's and we went out of our way to get him so let's make use of him. McVay better watch the Seattle film and say "I need to get the ball in the hands of my two best playmakers, Gurley and Watkins". If we don't fully utilize him we have wasted valuable resources.

That's not earning the targets any more than Tavon being a former top 10 pick is earning targets.

We all talk about earning targets. Woods have earned more targets so does Kupp and Higbee even impressed the past few games. Basically what I'm saying is it's a good problem to have when we have so many guys who need the targets. The only thing the Rams need to work on is their redzone offense. If they get that together then I dont care if Watkins get 1 target this week or 10 targets next week. In the past when the Rams had only one true playmaker I'll agree that he had to see the volume but the Rams have so many difference makers on the team that it's tough for one guy to get volume. That's especially true in McVay system whom even in Washington, DJax and Garçon never saw more than about 119 targets a season. That's with them not having a back like Gurley in their offense. So we can talk about the compensation given up to get Watkins, that's not a great reason to justify that he needs to be given volume, especially when as I said before, the Rams can throw Kupp, Woods, Higbee, Everett, Tavon, and Gurley out there to make plays. And so far we've seen all of them make big impacts in some form or another this season in games. That also includes Watkins. 

Watkins is the best WR here. The fact that we are talking about what he has to earn is hilarious to me, when we have basically already committed to him by trading a high pick. Get real.

Stop making excuses and design plays for our 2nd best offensive weapon. It isnt hard, it wont take away from anything, and it will help things in the long run.

5 hours ago, BStanRamFan said:

A first round pick 4 years ago under a different regime and someone brought in 4 weeks ago are not worth comparing.

They are worth comparing because we're talking about EARNING targets. You do that on the field. I'm fine with Watkins getting the ball more, but he has to earn it. Not going 100% on your targets and then whining after the game isn't earning it.

7 hours ago, S-jax39 said:

Watkins is the best WR here. The fact that we are talking about what he has to earn is hilarious to me, when we have basically already committed to him by trading a high pick. Get real.

Stop making excuses and design plays for our 2nd best offensive weapon. It isnt hard, it wont take away from anything, and it will help things in the long run.

Keep laughing. Woods showed up and made plays against Seattle. Watkins gave craptastic effort on his targets. Watkins might be the most talented WR, but he wasn't the best WR against Seattle. If he wants to eat more, he needs to earn it. The second round pick is irrelevant. It's a sunk cost. Stop making excuses for his bad play on Sunday. I want the guy to earn targets as much as anyone else. He's incredibly gifted.

McVay should be designing plays for this OFFENSE to succeed, not for Watkins to succeed. We're the LA Rams, not the LA Watkins.

13 hours ago, jrry32 said:

They are worth comparing because we're talking about EARNING targets. You do that on the field. I'm fine with Watkins getting the ball more, but he has to earn it. Not going 100% on your targets and then whining after the game isn't earning it.

Still not a good comparison. But fine we can follow your train of thought...the two games he was targeted the most (week 1 and 3), he put up his best numbers. We also won those 2 games. Those two games were our highest point totals of the season (41 and 46).

He's earned it on the field and based off the draft capital we spent on him. When he is stretching the field (which is what we signed him for), our run game benefits and so does our intermediate passing game. The game we had our lowest point total and Goff had a career day for passing attempts, he got 4 looks and he was justifiably pissed. Save the 'try hard' dad speech stuff for Pop Warner lol

14 hours ago, jrry32 said:

McVay should be designing plays for this OFFENSE to succeed, not for Watkins to succeed. We're the LA Rams, not the LA Watkins.

For the offense to succeed, Watkins needs plays designed for him. It has shown in his 2 best games as a Ram because they were also the 2 best games of our offense (Week 1 and 3). If A =B and B=C, then A= C. Transitive Property of Equality applies.

Watkins doesn't have to earn anything. He's not a rookie, he's a proven veteran player. 

Fact is, he's not target by Goff a lot because Goff is simply not confortable with him. It's not about desearving or earning, it's just about feeling confortable. Goff has to work on it, not Watkins. 

Stop blaming Watkins for one play where he was confused on his role. 

9 hours ago, BStanRamFan said:

For the offense to succeed, Watkins needs plays designed for him. It has shown in his 2 best games as a Ram because they were also the 2 best games of our offense (Week 1 and 3). If A =B and B=C, then A= C. Transitive Property of Equality applies.

The offense is averaging 30 points per game. You complain that we're not designing plays for Watkins, but the offense is clearly succeeding. I reject that notion.

And let's not start with applying the transitive property to football. We both know that's bogus logic.

10 hours ago, BStanRamFan said:

Still not a good comparison. But fine we can follow your train of thought...the two games he was targeted the most (week 1 and 3), he put up his best numbers. We also won those 2 games. Those two games were our highest point totals of the season (41 and 46).

He's earned it on the field and based off the draft capital we spent on him. When he is stretching the field (which is what we signed him for), our run game benefits and so does our intermediate passing game. The game we had our lowest point total and Goff had a career day for passing attempts, he got 4 looks and he was justifiably pissed. Save the 'try hard' dad speech stuff for Pop Warner lol

He was "justifiably" pissed? Really? I didn't see Cooper Kupp throwing a temper tantrum when he didn't get targets. I didn't see Robert Woods quitting on routes when he didn't get targets. I didn't see Todd Gurley refusing to play ball when we went away from it. Do you know why we jettisoned players like Brian Quick and Kenny Britt? Because we wanted to establish a new culture. Try paying attention to what's coming out of the mouths of our coaches and leaders. The culture they are instilling has no patience for quitters. What's our motto? It's "WE NOT ME." 

You tell me if quitting on routes, throwing temper tantrums on twitter, and demanding the ball more fits that motto. Watkins cost us a TD with his shenanigans, and y'all want to reward him for it. What a joke. When Watkins is stretching the field, the entire team benefits. I watched him have multiple opportunities to stretch the field against Seattle, but rather than make game-changing plays, he gave crap effort and hurt the team.

P.S. Our offense only scored 30 points against Indy. We scored 35 points against Dallas, so there goes that argument.

2 hours ago, Flounch said:

Watkins doesn't have to earn anything. He's not a rookie, he's a proven veteran player. 

Fact is, he's not target by Goff a lot because Goff is simply not confortable with him. It's not about desearving or earning, it's just about feeling confortable. Goff has to work on it, not Watkins. 

Stop blaming Watkins for one play where he was confused on his role. 

He wasn't confused on anything. He was being a pissy little child. He knew exactly what he was doing. He didn't think the ball was going to him, so he quit on his route. That's what losers like Kenny Britt do. And the sad part is that he would have had a TD if he actually ran that route. 

Goff won't "work on it" so long as Watkins keeps quitting on plays and running the wrong routes. That's not how you earn your QB's trust.

Y'all can make your excuses. I'm tired of the bull****. I don't want quitters on this team.

Archived