What Would You Do Next?

CAPJ

With Dak out for most likely the year, our o-line shattered and non existent defense, would you tank?

Do you try to re-sign Dak at a discount?

Let Dak walk?

Take offers for Zeke, Jaylon, Amari, Tank?

Or keep it as is and try to make a run?

57 minutes ago, CAPJ said:

With Dak out for most likely the year, our o-line shattered and non existent defense, would you tank?

Let Dak walk?

If both bookend offensive tackles werent hurt, if the defense was able to play average then I would say the season still isnt lost. Even with Dak hurt. But too many injuries in key positions has made this season a wash. 

It was a nice win for the fallen QB but I wouldnt expect many more wins this season. With Dalton as the QB he needs time and protection, something Dallas cannot offer at this moment. 

The question will be if Dak will take less money. It all comes down to his health. As an organization you have to go in with the mindset that he isnt a part of the team. 

It's going to be an interesting offseason

Cowboys can retain Dak's rights by tagging him for 38 Million next season. They should want this now to see if Dak can come back and be 100% BEFORE they offer him a big money big guarantee contract again, But that means they are committing 38 million next year to a question mark. Not sure of the date they have before they have to tag him and if they can see that he will be 100 percent in terms of rehab

From Dak's perspective, he has just learned the hard way that you HAVE to get your guarantees when you can. Probably doesn't seem worth it right now turning down 100 million guaranteed to try to get an extra few million per season at the early part of his career. I doubt he plays under a tag again or a contract without significant guarantees

Cowboys could attempt to sign Dak for lesser $$ but the only way they could feasibly do that is by not tagging Dak at 38 Million and letting him test the market to establish his value coming off of a major injury

Of course, that leads to the possibility of some QB desperate team (Looking at you Washington) throwing a bag at Dak on a chance that he can return to 100%, and just eating the loss if he can't.

I think we are destined for 5-11 and I take the top 10 QB in the draft, resign Dalton and move on. UNLESS Dak would choose to play on the tag, or a multi year deal low on guarantees to see if he can't make it back to what he was

5 year 175 with 100 GTD is out the window right now coming off an injury that could forever effect his mobility

Edited by TheGame316

As per the other players, Nobodies tradeable

I'd love to move Cooper, too much dead money

Tank = Same thing

Nobody wants anyone but Martin on our Line, Only guy worth keeping

Zeke might get you a 3rd, probably not worth it

Jaylon, a 3rd or a 4th, 

Only untouchables would be Martin, CeeDee, Gallup, I just assume a new QB would benefit from some weapons to throw to

Tyron Smith might be done, Lael Collins might not be the same

2 hours ago, CAPJ said:

Let Dak walk?

We should wait to see what his prognosis is. If it’s a 2 year time table before he’s able to play, then you don’t do anything other than draft his replacement.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, plan9misfit said:

We should wait to see what his prognosis is. If it’s a 2 year time table before he’s able to play, then you don’t do anything other than draft his replacement.

If the Cowboys are in a position to draft Trevor Lawrence or Justin Fields I think it's a no brainer decision to take one of those guys and let Dak walk. Assuming your OL is healthy, Lawerence or Fields should be able to step in immediately with Cooper/Gallup/Zeke/Lamb and lead one of the top offenses in the league. And that'd also free up a ton of cap space to improve your defense and you'd have a starting level QB on a cheap contract for the next 5 seasons. 

• Like 1

The 2 teams we beat have a combined record of 0-10!  And we barely beat both of them! 

we could just as easily be 0-5 right now sitting squarely at the bottom of the division.

that being said, I would like to wait and see how this team responds without Dak and with the arrival of LVE this week and  Gregory next week. Maybe they will give this Defense the spark they need! 

if we don’t respond, well. Then yes. Personnel changes need to be made.  

Dak can’t be traded on IR. So they would have to either designate him to return and trade later OR, tag him again in offseason and find a trade partner and get what ever we can. 

Cooper is well worth a first still IMO. Trade him before trade deadline to a WR needy team that’s on the cusp of a SB run. 

8 hours ago, TheGame316 said:

I think we are destined for 5-11 and I take the top 10 QB in the draft, resign Dalton and move on. UNLESS Dak would choose to play on the tag, or a multi year deal low on guarantees to see if he can't make it back to what he was

You still have 2 games against the WFT and another against the Giants. That probably gets you to 5 right there with Dalton. There is also still Philly twice, Cinncy, and below expectations of Minn and SF. I think 7-9 is still reasonable. 

10 hours ago, CAPJ said:

I'm not tanking. But I am giving a ton of snaps to every young player with a modicum of potential, and letting them take their lumps. They'll be better for it in 2021 and they'll know who they can rely on for roster construction purposes.

10 hours ago, CAPJ said:

Let Dak walk?

Way too early to say what Dak's prognosis looks like. But 100% my hope is that he makes a full recovery and is our starting QB in 2021.

10 hours ago, CAPJ said:

At least 2 of those players (Zeke and Jaylon) are completely untradeable. Tank, too, probably. Amari might have some value, but he's really expensive while 2021 has a shrinking salary cap and a loaded WR draft class.

So no, I don't think talking about trading any of these players right now is very practical.

10 hours ago, CAPJ said:

I mean, we aren't making a run in 2020 with Andy Dalton. But the offense with Dak is really quite special, and could be mostly intact in 2021. Spend the rest of this season figuring out what existing defensive pieces are useful and use the offseason to fill the holes.

I'm definitely not in "blow it all up" mode until we know what Dak's future looks like.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

You still have 2 games against the WFT and another against the Giants. That probably gets you to 5 right there with Dalton. There is also still Philly twice, Cinncy, and below expectations of Minn and SF. I think 7-9 is still reasonable. 

this is where i fall ... add the Arizona game to above.. we might have a outside chance in that game but yes I land somewhere between 6-10 (if we get LVE, Awuzi, Lee back) to 8-8 if no more injuries and our OL continues to improve. 

I always feel drafting a OB round 1 is a last gasp move.   I think it puts your franchise back 2-3 years. and that is if you hit on your pick not even close to a guarantee .... 

I remember three teams right now out of the past 8-10 years that succeeded with drafting 1st round QB's.  By success I mean becoming a favorite to make the playoffs and go far in the playoffs.   NOW lets look at those three that I can remember.

KC....  they were  a top three offense in football and favored to go to the AFC championship at the very least when Mahomes was a rookie and sitting on the bench watching. 

Baltimore.. had one of the top 5 defenses yearly and had a elite QB (another first round QB pick who got hurt the year before they drafted their QB) and they still are underperforming in the playoffs on year three of the latest QB. 

Bills are the only one that is close to our situation. Allen is on his third year..  the year before they drafted Allen they were 9-7 in the playoffs and had a middle of the road defense.  I would say that Bills team was much better then our current team as if we will be lucky to even come close to 500.

The only other team I can remember showing success with a rookie QB was us and Dak...  but we also were a superbowl favorite going into Dak's rookie year.  

Thus I can't think of any team in the last 7-8 plus years that went from a being a bad non playoff type team added a rookie QB then with in 2 years was considered a favorite to reach even the championship game let alone superbowl.  Last year we were bad... this year we had the chance of being good to a point.. but with half our defense injured and loosing 4 probowl level players on offense for the year I don't consider us anything but a bad team. 

Thus I am not real looking forward to joining the rookie QB club odds are very long to impossible especially for BAD football teams..     I do have to watch Arizona..   they are doing better expected so far but it is early yet.   

7 minutes ago, quiller said:

this is where i fall ... add the Arizona game to above.. we might have a outside chance in that game but yes I land somewhere between 6-10 (if we get LVE, Awuzi, Lee back) to 8-8 if no more injuries and our OL continues to improve. 

I always feel drafting a OB round 1 is a last gasp move.   I think it puts your franchise back 2-3 years. and that is if you hit on your pick not even close to a guarantee .... 

I remember three teams right now out of the past 8-10 years that succeeded with drafting 1st round QB's.  By success I mean becoming a favorite to make the playoffs and go far in the playoffs.   NOW lets look at those three that I can remember.

KC....  they were  a top three offense in football and favored to go to the AFC championship at the very least when Mahomes was a rookie and sitting on the bench watching. 

Baltimore.. had one of the top 5 defenses yearly and had a elite QB (another first round QB pick who got hurt the year before they drafted their QB) and they still are underperforming in the playoffs on year three of the latest QB. 

Bills are the only one that is close to our situation. Allen is on his third year..  the year before they drafted Allen they were 9-7 in the playoffs and had a middle of the road defense.  I would say that Bills team was much better then our current team as if we will be lucky to even come close to 500.

The only other team I can remember showing success with a rookie QB was us and Dak...  but we also were a superbowl favorite going into Dak's rookie year.  

Thus I can't think of any team in the last 7-8 plus years that went from a being a bad non playoff type team added a rookie QB then with in 2 years was considered a favorite to reach even the championship game let alone superbowl.  Last year we were bad... this year we had the chance of being good to a point.. but with half our defense injured and loosing 4 probowl level players on offense for the year I don't consider us anything but a bad team. 

Thus I am not real looking forward to joining the rookie QB club odds are very long to impossible especially for BAD football teams..     I do have to watch Arizona..   they are doing better expected so far but it is early yet.   

Murray is exceeding my expectations. He and Kingsbury have got Arizona back to being a competitive team - granted, it helps they've got a talented team around him, but still. 

8 hours ago, D82 said:

^^^ What NYFDB said. 

Also, the only way I move on from Dak is if we can get Lawrence. He's the only QB who I feel would be better than Dak. 

Even if Fields gives you 75% of Dak's play/production it's a win paying him $9M per year as opposed to paying Dak $40M per year. Use the savings to rebuild your defense and sure up your offensive line. 

42 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Even if Fields gives you 75% of Dak's play/production it's a win paying him $9M per year as opposed to paying Dak $40M per year. Use the savings to rebuild your defense and sure up your offensive line. 

You have to hope Fields pans out. You know what you have in Dak, and he's only been getting better.