Ups n' Downs - Eagles Edition

43M

On 10/12/2020 at 5:21 PM, 43M said:

You dont get that we constantly play down to lesser teams year after year and look woefully underprepared way too often for a team with a 14 year tenured head coach?  This is what....like the 3rd time this year we almost blew a big lead late in the game?   

We have played 4 games...3 teams with pretty meh at best QBs.   We struggled to beat all of them.  The fact that we cant best lesser teams more convincingly is somewhat concerning.   And you cant keep blaming lack of preseason for all of our issues.   These issues go years back.

We are 4-0, but yes...it does kinda matter how you got there.  This team hasnt really impressed me.   The wins don't necessarily have to be pretty, but there are a lot of concerns, especially as we play better teams.  We have gotten away with things we wont keep getting away with.

At 4-0, no coach should be in the CoY discussion.  Its 1/4 of the season.   So much can change, especially this year.

Bottom line...yesterday was yet another game we let a lesser team hang around longer than we should have.  This has been a problem for a LONG time.   Its not ALL on Tomlin, but it mostly is since he regularly has problems getting his teams to play quality football for 4 full quarters.  

We will see what happens  going forward, but Im not as optimistic as some of you seem to be.   I do think we will make the playoffs, but I dont see us being a top contender at this point.   Lets see the defense improve and this team be able to play at a high level more than just 2 or 3 quarters a game.

Seriously, how much do we need to beat teams by for fans to be satisfied with Tomlin? This isn’t college, style points don’t matter. Tomlin is a top 5 coach in the league, we are 4-0, and fans will still criticize him and call for him to be fired. Who would you rather be the coach of the team besides Bill Belichick? Andy Reid the guy who took 20 years to win his first SB? Pete Carroll? No thanks, too conservative. Kyle Shannahan? Maybe but personally would rather have MT.

Its honestly laughable that people still find ways to criticize Tomlin. The grass isn’t always greener.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bigben07MVP said:

Seriously, how much do we need to beat teams by for fans to be satisfied with Tomlin? This isn’t college, style points don’t matter. Tomlin is a top 5 coach in the league, we are 4-0, and fans will still criticize him and call for him to be fired. Who would you rather be the coach of the team besides Bill Belichick? Andy Reid the guy who took 20 years to win his first SB? Pete Carroll? No thanks, too conservative. Kyle Shannahan? Maybe but personally would rather have MT.

Its honestly laughable that people still find ways to criticize Tomlin. The grass isn’t always greener.

The fact that you act like Tomlin isnt allowed to be criticized is beyond pathetic.   

It would be one thing if I was just blindly bashing him and blaming him for EVERYTHING like some people do.   I clearly wasnt, and you didnt even bother disputing the points I made.  

Tomlin is a deeply flawed coach, but as Ive said many times in the past....most coaches are, some more than others.    Ive never lobbied for Tomlin to be fired BECAUSE  of that very fact. 

However,  even if you consider him a GREAT coach, that doesn't mean he is beyond criticism.   He has numerous shortcomings that have held this team back over the years, and thats undeniable.   Does that mean he is a bad coach?   No, but Im not going to pretend he is great, either.

15 minutes ago, 43M said:

The fact that you act like Tomlin isnt allowed to be criticized is beyond pathetic.   

It would be one thing if I was just blindly bashing him and blaming him for EVERYTHING like some people do.   I clearly wasnt, and you didnt even bother disputing the points I made.  

Tomlin is a deeply flawed coach, but as Ive said many times in the past....most coaches are, some more than others.    Ive never lobbied for Tomlin to be fired BECAUSE  of that very fact. 

However,  even if you consider him a GREAT coach, that doesn't mean he is beyond criticism.   He has numerous shortcomings that have held this team back over the years, and thats undeniable.   Does that mean he is a bad coach?   No, but Im not going to pretend he is great, either.

Your point was that we aren't beating teams by enough. And you ignored my question, how much is enough? Do we need to win each game by 14+ points for fans like you to be satisfied?

Yes you are right, any coach or player can be criticized even the Aaron Donald and Tom Bradys of the world. I just find it laughable at how much Steelers fans point the blame at Tomlin when you look at his track record as a HC for us and how highly he is regarded by the people who matter, you know like his players/former players, other coaches and GMs etc. 

You are accusing Tomlin of being a "deeply flawed" coach and your reasoning is because we aren't winning games by enough points, when we are 4-0. 

My comments were a response to your post but were not aimed directly at you. I used the term "fans" not "you" but I'm not surprised that you took it personally. 

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...