Jump to content

Week 6: Falcons (0-5) at VIKINGS (1-4)


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, babababa said:

Context matters. 

I never said you couldn't disagree with something Vikings -- I do -- but to say we shouldn't have re-signed a player who is leading the league in rushing because  he has to sit a game is so absurd that it comes off as hating a player.

Then -- nobody but me seems to point this out.

Can anybody in this Vikings forum appreciate Dalvin Cook? No?

Apparently you must not have been around, considering I've been one of the few that defended the extension...unless it was above a certain amount.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Apparently you must not have been around, considering I've been one of the few that defended the extension...unless it was above a certain amount.  

I remember. You were thinking around 11 million max if I remember correctly.

I was happy you were on board as so few here were.

Again, this all stems from posters blowing up Cook's injury out of proportion. I've been quiet about Cook all season until now. His play was doing the talking, but nobody seemed to really notice. Now he has an injury that will keep him out a few weeks and he's suddenly not worth a darn.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, babababa said:

I remember. You were thinking around 11 million max if I remember correctly.

I was happy you were on board as so few here were.

Again, this all stems from posters blowing up Cook's injury out of proportion. I've been quiet about Cook all season until now. His play was doing the talking, but nobody seemed to really notice. Now he has an injury that will keep him out a few weeks and he's suddenly not worth a darn.

I do think that is a little bit of an overreaction to other people's comments.  Everyone has been concerned about extending someone with durability issues.  I personally believe it's worth it, because of what he brings to the table when he is there...if he can play 14 games a year, that's fine as far as I'm concerned.  But, if he starts missing 5-6 games a year like he did a couple of years ago, then I might waver more to their camp.  And it's not a Cousins-Mannion situation, where if the #1 guy gets injured, they're screwed.  Mattison is a competent backup.  While he's not Cook, he can get them through.  

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, VikeManDan said:

Something to keep an eye on now. Personnel official, not a player, but they're taking precautions. 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30119829/sources-atlanta-falcons-shut-facility-4-positive-coronavirus-tests

They are just saying that to the press.  In reality, they are terrified of having to play us.  :P

Edited by Uncle Buck
Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, babababa said:

I remember. You were thinking around 11 million max if I remember correctly.

I was happy you were on board as so few here were.

Again, this all stems from posters blowing up Cook's injury out of proportion. I've been quiet about Cook all season until now. His play was doing the talking, but nobody seemed to really notice. Now he has an injury that will keep him out a few weeks and he's suddenly not worth a darn.

I was against paying Dalvin because I believe running backs are fairly easy to replace.  We had one of the best running backs in the history of the game with Adrian Peterson.  It sure didn't take us long to find Dalvin Cook to replace him (with a 2nd round pick, btw).  Dalvin is a great player, but I think a lot of us believe we can replace what we are getting out of him in other ways.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

I was against paying Dalvin because I believe running backs are fairly easy to replace.  We had one of the best running backs in the history of the game with Adrian Peterson.  It sure didn't take us long to find Dalvin Cook to replace him (with a 2nd round pick, btw).  Dalvin is a great player, but I think a lot of us believe we can replace what we are getting out of him in other ways.

Alexander Mattison can arguably be as effective running the ball. He’s been very productive. Obviously he’s not as dynamic in all facets but he’s a good player and more than enough proof that paying Cook wasn’t the best decision. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Alexander Mattison can arguably be as effective running the ball. He’s been very productive. Obviously he’s not as dynamic in all facets but he’s a good player and more than enough proof that paying Cook wasn’t the best decision. 

He doesn't have Cook's vision.  Cook would've seen the hole on 4th and 1.  Mattison didn't.  That's a major difference between good running backs and exceptional running backs.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

He doesn't have Cook's vision.  Cook would've seen the hole on 4th and 1.  Mattison didn't.  That's a major difference between good running backs and exceptional running backs.

And with how the team is structured, they need an exceptional running back.

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

He doesn't have Cook's vision.  Cook would've seen the hole on 4th and 1.  Mattison didn't.  That's a major difference between good running backs and exceptional running backs.

You're right that he should have seen that hole.  It was massive.  At the same time, as a former running back myself, I can kind of understand his state of mind at the time.  They only needed about a foot for the first down.  He was probably just going at the assigned gap as hard as he could in hopes of bulldozing his way in.  It didn't work, but as strong of a runner as he is, it probably would have worked more often than not.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Baylor fan here. Was ecstatic when you guys drafted James Lynch. Was actually watching when he sacked Wilson.

 

Was he on the 53 due to other injuries or has he solidified himself on the 53? What do you think his outlook is moving forward? He is going to be a very, very good player. Honestly I was hoping the Vikes would let him slip away so Rhule could get him in Carolina, but Minny is almost the perfect spot.

 

Also, is Blake Lynch on the practice squad?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

You're right that he should have seen that hole.  It was massive.  At the same time, as a former running back myself, I can kind of understand his state of mind at the time.  They only needed about a foot for the first down.  He was probably just going at the assigned gap as hard as he could in hopes of bulldozing his way in.  It didn't work, but as strong of a runner as he is, it probably would have worked more often than not.

Here is the reality, the Viking game versus the Falcons is probably canceled due to COVID-19.  So let us get back on topic, I assume all agree this cat is better looking than Pete Davidson, so it is an upgrade for Kate in that regard.  Same cat I assume she mopped the floor with literally.

final_5ec47f10faf4030015935b22_614177-1.

 

 

1 hour ago, Tyronnosaurus said:

Baylor fan here. Was ecstatic when you guys drafted James Lynch. Was actually watching when he sacked Wilson.

 

Was he on the 53 due to other injuries or has he solidified himself on the 53? What do you think his outlook is moving forward? He is going to be a very, very good player. Honestly I was hoping the Vikes would let him slip away so Rhule could get him in Carolina, but Minny is almost the perfect spot.

 

Also, is Blake Lynch on the practice squad?

Yes Blake is on the PS but I feel is a long shot to make it as a pro but will see.  James Lynch was great to see him out there the little he played, they actually cut Hercules Mata'afa because Lynch will be playing more, Vikings have signed Hercules to the Practice Squad after that.  I believe James Lynch has the only sack from a DT spot for the Vikings this year, hope to see him more and the lack of early playing time has a lot to do with the fact he was injured during the preseason work and the transition to DT from DE is hard, he could have played right away in a 3/4 and honestly surprised a team did not take him for that spot.  Either way I agree, was great on Baylor, tough kid with a high motor and can play through contact, could be a good pro if he continues to improve.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Here is the reality, the Viking game versus the Falcons is probably canceled due to COVID-19.  So let us get back on topic, I assume all agree this cat is better looking than Pete Davidson, so it is an upgrade for Kate in that regard.  Same cat I assume she mopped the floor with literally.

final_5ec47f10faf4030015935b22_614177-1.

 

 

Yes Blake is on the PS but I feel is a long shot to make it as a pro but will see.  James Lynch was great to see him out there the little he played, they actually cut Hercules Mata'afa because Lynch will be playing more, Vikings have signed Hercules to the Practice Squad after that.  I believe James Lynch has the only sack from a DT spot for the Vikings this year, hope to see him more and the lack of early playing time has a lot to do with the fact he was injured during the preseason work and the transition to DT from DE is hard, he could have played right away in a 3/4 and honestly surprised a team did not take him for that spot.  Either way I agree, was great on Baylor, tough kid with a high motor and can play through contact, could be a good pro if he continues to improve.

Great to hear. On Blake, I’m just glad he got the chance. He started at WR at Baylor, then moved to defense his RSo. year. Played CB and then S. Rhule moved him to LB and that obviously worked. Be a very tough hill to climb but he’s a great athlete and has high potential.

 

I would definitely get a James Lynch shirt/jersey if he’s there for a while.

Edited by Tyronnosaurus
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

I was against paying Dalvin because I believe running backs are fairly easy to replace.  We had one of the best running backs in the history of the game with Adrian Peterson.  It sure didn't take us long to find Dalvin Cook to replace him (with a 2nd round pick, btw).  Dalvin is a great player, but I think a lot of us believe we can replace what we are getting out of him in other ways.

It would be hard to get 100% of Dalvin since he does have freak speed/explosiveness.
 

Getting 85% of him though (maybe half a yard less a carry) and saving 10m a year in the process could be done pretty easily though.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

My issue with the Vikings, compared to teams like the Rams, Browns, Ravens, etc. is that we don’t use the pass as complimentary as the others. We are a run first team that uses the run to set up the pass. That’s it. Run, run, run, use play action to hit a big play. But we don’t really balance it out, ever, and use the pass to set up the run. This team does not utilize a quick passing game. We rarely see any plays designed to get the ball out quickly. We don’t utilize the middle of the field, almost all of the passes and routes run are outside of the numbers. You look at those other teams and they create mismatches with their tight ends and their running backs in the passing game. We don’t. 

The problem with the Vikings isn’t that they’re a run first team. The issue is that they are a run first team with an old school mentality. The Rams, the Ravens, the Browns, the 49ers, even the Packers this year all have a run first mentality. But their coaches have brought a new age approach with them. 

That might be more on the QB. Bridgewater would've been perfect for this offense. He holds the ball too long sometimes, but he sees the field extremely well, understands what defenses are showing/doing and is deadly accurate with the short/intermediate pass.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...