What is Sam Darnold's Trade Value?

dll2000

Legit question as I have not really watched him.   Obviously he hasn't had success, but is it him or team?

How good is Sam Darnold in a better situation?  Is he recoverable?  I know he is still young as he entered young.  

Jets fans opinions appreciated.

For others what would you give up for him?   I actually asked this question earlier this year of Jamal Adams and IRL he brought in far more than I and basically any of the thread thought.

What would you trade for your team for Darnold, if anything?

I imagine Jets get #1 pick and take the Clemson QB.   Any Jets fans against this?

I'm a jets fan and 100% against picking Lawrence and trading Darnold. Though that's mostly independent of my belief in Darnold as the guy. Honestly I'm fairly certain the Jets ruined him. Probably gonna need to sit for a year somewhere and get plugged into an offense that has an identity.

The Jets cannot continue to think the answer to building a competitive team is a savior QB. They need to build a team. Get a head coach in there and establish an offense. Build up the offense while Darnold or a veteran take snaps. Once the team has a solid foundation, if Darnold has failed, sign a vet and draft someone to sit and learn for a year. 

To just keep throwing talent young qbs into a dumpster fire of an offense is idiotic.

All that said, I do think the Jets are dumb, so I do think they take Lawrence. I'd hope they could get a 2nd for Darnold but, I'm guessing it would be a third(maybe conditionally rising to a second or even first)

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, drew39k said:

I'm a jets fan and 100% against picking Lawrence and trading Darnold. Though that's mostly independent of my belief in Darnold as the guy. Honestly I'm fairly certain the Jets ruined him. Probably gonna need to sit for a year somewhere and get plugged into an offense that has an identity.

The Jets cannot continue to think the answer to building a competitive team is a savior QB. They need to build a team. Get a head coach in there and establish an offense. Build up the offense while Darnold or a veteran take snaps. Once the team has a solid foundation, if Darnold has failed, sign a vet and draft someone to sit and learn for a year. 

To just keep throwing talent young qbs into a dumpster fire of an offense is idiotic.

All that said, I do think the Jets are dumb, so I do think they take Lawrence. I'd hope they could get a 2nd for Darnold but, I'm guessing it would be a third(maybe conditionally rising to a second or even first)

Well you have 4 1st round picks in next two years and will get to draft at top of each round.   With a rookie QB you should have a boatload of cap room next 4 years.  Add to that whatever you can recoup from Darnold.   Maybe you trade for 2022 pick(s) to spread out talent base so you aren't re-upping everyone at same time.

If you draft well and upgrade O line with proven FAs you can build a solid team in 2-3 years.

Don't worry about RB or WRs.   Start with a good O line and a good QB.   The rest will come together once those are in place.

I wouldn't mind Jets job with that starting situation as long as I get to run organization way I see fit to start building a program.  

He'll get more than anyone on here will predict. Just like how Jamal Adams was traded for way more than what people on here predicted. Or any time a trade happens people undervalue players or overvalue draft picks.

And I am not sure, but I do know there are plenty in the league who view highly of him. He is being brought down because of a awful team and awful coach. Judging by the history of players leaving Gase and becoming studs, I think that is a good assumption. 

No QB would be playing at a high level with this Jets team. 

Here's the way I look at it.. There are a couple reasons why you would trade for a QB like this..

1. You are a team without a QB who is looking for a potential franchise guy

This is tricky.. This is where the Dolphins fell when they acquired Rosen. They looked at him and must have thought Rosen still had more upside potential than any rookie they could acquire in the 2nd round. I don't know if that team actually exists. Team like the Jags or Football Team or Broncos probably don't see him as an upside over their current youth prospects and would probably just draft a guy if they were willing to move on. I think Darnold actually has LESS value than Rosen did, because Rosen was still earlier in his career at the time, which left a team like the Dolphins thinking maybe he had more upside than he actually had.

2. You are a team with a veteran QB who is looking for a backup - with the potential for him to take over down the line (think Bucs, Saints, Steelers types)

This is probably the best shot at receiving some actual value. Maybe a late 2nd or 3rd as a draft pick in that range will likely not yield a player with higher upside OR more readiness to fill in now, and they won't have the draft capital to draft a guy in the 1-12 overall range.

I don't mind the concept of going the Cards route and drafting Lawrence and moving Darnold for a day 2 pick - but I think the options are going to be limited which might result in a not so great return. And like someone else said, if you do that, you HAVE to make more of an effort to give Lawrence the tools he needs

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

Any pick from 20 and beyond in the 1st round. Ironically, if you made it to pick 20 in the draft, you likely do not need a QB.

I would be astounded if a team would part with a 1st, even a late one

Just now, Tk3 said:

I would be astounded if a team would part with a 1st, even a late one

I live in the NY metro area (NJ) and I have friends who are diehard Jets fans. I've watched ALOT of Darnold as a non-Jets fan and he's made some throws that I've only seen Patrick Mahomes make AND he's NOTHING around him. Just looking at how well Tannehill is doing in Tennessee after leaving Gase should give you an idea how good Darnold can be. He's had no O-line, no WR, and no TE worth mentioning other than Jamison Crowder. LeVeon can talk his ish, but he's done. Below are a few teams that I could say pulling the trigger with their first pick on Darnold:

Indiananpolis Colts

Chicago Bears

New Orleans Saints

Minnesota Vikings

These 4 will be picking in the 16-25 range most likely.

Highest I could see is a 2nd rounder, personally. 
He has talent but it's not like he did anything of note in the NFL so far (but we know his offensive situation is... offensive) 

1 minute ago, aceinthehouse said:

Haskins for Darnold, straight up!

I would do that...maybe both QB's take off on different teams.

Darnold has to be better than Haskins. Wouldn't do it from NY's perspective 

Edited by MagicMT

10 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

Indiananpolis Colts

Chicago Bears

New Orleans Saints

Minnesota Vikings

These 4 will be picking in the 16-25 range most likely.

I'd be intrigued with Darnold but I don't see us picking as low as 16. I think we're looking at a top 10 selection.