What is Sam Darnold's Trade Value?

dll2000

1 hour ago, Turnobili said:

i think he has more value now than Rosen did during the draft last year

100% we've actually seen Darnold play at a high level with horrible talent around him while Rosen had a terrible rookie campaign from start to finish. I think Darnold could be the next Tannehill as a guy that was up and down but really started playing well after a change of scenery. 

• Like 1

I still think Darnold can be a Stafford-type QB. Probably not a guy that’ll carry you or overcome a bad environment, but a guy that you’d be happy to have it you have a solid team around him. Don’t believe he’ll ever reach that point in NY, though. 

I’d probably do a third and change, which wouldn’t be enough to get it done.

2 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

I still think Darnold can be a Stafford-type QB. Probably not a guy that’ll carry you or overcome a bad environment, but a guy that you’d be happy to have it you have a solid team around him. Don’t believe he’ll ever reach that point in NY, though. 

To be fair to Darnold though how many young QB's have come into a situation where they're in an offense that's one of the worst at running the ball, with arguably the worst OL in the league, and a bottom 3 WR/TE group and been successful? 

• Like 1

On 10/12/2020 at 11:18 AM, NYJets4716 said:

He'll get more than anyone on here will predict. Just like how Jamal Adams was traded for way more than what people on here predicted. Or any time a trade happens people undervalue players or overvalue draft picks.

The Adams trade was highly unusual. 

On 10/12/2020 at 12:19 PM, JetsandI said:

I still believe he is recoverable.  Never mind what outcome of two quarterbacks but I think we should treat Darnold as next Teddy Bridgewater.   Many teams won't rush and reserve Darnold's rookie contract but will wait until he becomes fa and/or gamble on Darnold's value getting lower and lower.

Exactly. Very few teams will want to pay that huge price tag just to gamble on a guy they'll have to spend a high draft pick on. If there ends up being a big market for Darnold (if the Jets even trade him at all), then I could see them getting a high pick. Otherwise, it's really doubtful. 

On 10/12/2020 at 12:33 PM, drew39k said:

If the Jets deal Lawrence, conservatively they should be getting like 2 firsts two seconds and two thirds. 

Conservatively? 🤔

On 10/12/2020 at 1:04 PM, VikeManDan said:

Personally, I'm taking the rookie QB and associated contract no question.

Aren't you guys married to Cousins for another season or two? 

When you look at the guys that have come into the league and had success early in their careers they all went into good situations or to teams that immediately looked to add talent to help them. 

Patrick Mahomes - Very good OL and arguably the best group of skill position players in the league. 

Dak Prescott - Elite OL, elite running game, top 10 defense and they added Cooper, Gallup, and Lamb. 

Russell Wilson - Elite defense and running game. 

Lamar Jackson - Elite OL, elite running game, elite defense and they added Dobbins, Brown, and Andrews. 

Deshaun Watson - Elite #1 WR, top 10 running game, top 10 defense

For a team like the Colts I think Darnold is definitely worth a second round pick with two years left on his rookie deal. Especially when you look at the recent history of QB's drafted in the 2nd which includes Jalen Hurts, Drew Lock, Deshone Kizer, and Christian Hackenberg. All of whom I'd take Darnold over in a heart beat. 

Edited by NYRaider

16 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

To be fair to Darnold though how many young QB's have come into a situation where they're in an offense that's one of the worst at running the ball, with arguably the worst OL in the league, and a bottom 3 WR/TE group and been successful? 

Seems like rather specific hoops, lol. How many QBs ever fit that criteria, and of those, how many do we generally believe may have been successful somewhere else? 

Kyler did pretty well in a similarish situation last season. Andrew Luck too, granted he had oldman Reggie Wayne. Bradford had Steven Jackson but the team was still ranked pretty terribly running the ball. 

I get what you’re saying, though. They’ve done very little to (successfully) help the guy out, which is why I think he’s better off out of NY. They’ll do the same thing to Trevor if Gase stays.

4 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

Kyler did pretty well in a similarish situation last season. Andrew Luck too, granted he had oldman Reggie Wayne. Bradford had Steven Jackson but the team was still ranked pretty terribly running the ball. 

I get what you’re saying, though. They’ve done very little to (successfully) help the guy out, which is why I think he’s better off out of NY. They’ll do the same thing to Trevor if Gase stays.

The Cardinals still had a top 10 running game, Fitzgerald/Kirk at WR, spent a 2nd round pick on Isabella, and traded for Kenyan Drake. Then went and got Hopkins this offseason and have been very proactive in building a good offense around him. 

Luck's situation is the only one that I think is comparable but Wayne was still a 1,000+ yard WR his rookie season and then TY Hilton emerged as a top 10 WR in his second year. 

And that's the thing for me as well, do I think Lawrence will be better than Darnold? Definitely. But unless they really get better up front, add some legit weapons at WR, and improve their running game it's going to impossible for any QB to have success with them. 

17 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

Didn't Flacco just play a better game than Sam had all season? That's what I read heard offense had a ton of drops though if that's true idk how people see a first

Flacco had like 84 yards passing midway through the third quarter. The cards defense was also the worst d the Jets have played thus far. So no, he really didnt play that well. Missed some wide open receivers too. 

49 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

Conservatively? 🤔

Trading away number one overall for the right to select a "generational" for 2 1s 2 2s and 2 3s is conservative. 

The first 1 rounder is just a swap so its costing you 1 first, 2 2nds and 2 3rds. That's pretty on par with some of the other major qb move up trades and none of them were for a supposed generational talent.

I was being conservative by not looking at prior deals and going over their trade values to compensate for the alleged talent gap being offered up here.