"Stalled Drive" Penalties- Bucs are brutal!!

ravishingone

1 hour ago, ravishingone said:

This has got to stop, and it begins with the starting LT not leading the league.  Yeah, I know there are other culprits.

Agreed, but it falls onto the coach as well.  This isn't a new issue. We led the league in penalties last year...

Guys need to be held more accountable...

22 hours ago, BucsDraftGeek47 said:

if we dont let Don Smith walk at the end of this year we are idiots

We need another OT in the draft

Man I told this forum Smith was trash two seasons ago. Stated that Trent Brown was the better option and nobody was trying to hear it. Not even the damn GM saw #76 as a liability. But I’m glad its finally came to light! He’s for sure outta here with that cap number. Wirfs will be the new LT in 21 imo

7 hours ago, indifference said:

Man I told this forum Smith was trash two seasons ago. Stated that Trent Brown was the better option and nobody was trying to hear it. Not even the damn GM saw #76 as a liability. But I’m glad its finally came to light! He’s for sure outta here with that cap number. Wirfs will be the new LT in 21 imo

The O line as a whole was ranked 7th last year by PFF. The guards and center being the strength, but I don't think there were any other options to replace Smith with. 

5 hours ago, indifference said:

Trent Brown

Ehh I dunno if he would have been an upgrade he has had injury problems and he is usually a right tackle.   He did play LT for the Patriots and looked good but tbh Scar also made Nate Solder look good as well.  Browns contract avg 16.5 per year and Smith's contract avg is 13.7.  

I do actually really like him as a RT.  Dude is a ridiculous mauler and has the length to stun guys in pass rush.  He is like a better Demar Dotson with run blocking ability 😅

9 hours ago, sryan66611 said:

Ehh I dunno if he would have been an upgrade he has had injury problems and he is usually a right tackle.   He did play LT for the Patriots and looked good but tbh Scar also made Nate Solder look good as well.  Browns contract avg 16.5 per year and Smith's contract avg is 13.7.  

I do actually really like him as a RT.  Dude is a ridiculous mauler and has the length to stun guys in pass rush.  He is like a better Demar Dotson with run blocking ability 😅

Trent played LT last year for them and blew Smith out the water in every faucet of the game. 

8 hours ago, indifference said:

Trent played LT last year for them and blew Smith out the water in every faucet of the game. 

Trent played LT for who??  the Raiders?   nah he didn't Kolton Miller has played LT exclusively since his rookie season.    Raiders have Kolton Miller at LT, they didn't want to move him after his rookie year so they stuck with him at LT (for good reason as he excels there).   Trent Brown even in college at Florida played RG and RT exclusively.      Look I'm not denying that Trent is the better player  but you have to take into account switching from his dominant position, injury history, salary etc...     Its not as easy as looking up stats and saying he's a better player.

I know others have also brought up moving WIrfs to the left side.  I don't think anyone realizes how hard it can be for some to move.  Yes there have been plenty of successes like  Tyron Smith  RT/LT and Doug Free RT/LT, Jack Conklin RT/LT,   Lane Johnson LT/RT,  Mitchell Schwartz LT/RT, Trent Brown Etc...  There are wayyy more disasters though.    Going from RT/LT is usually harder for players to adapt to as well some say its because the right side is usually designed for a more powerful tackle and the left side more athletic  So they usually have the bigger powerful but slower guy on the right side and usually doesn't have the athleticism to compensate for the switch.

Check out these articles to see what other NFL players have said about the switch. The first one talks about the picks of the most recent draft including Wirfs and the other 3 top tackles.

https://theathletic.com/1760974/2020/04/21/what-will-go-into-moving-jedrick-wills-jr-from-right-tackle-to-left-for-browns/

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2019/3/29/18287117/nfl-mailbag-offensive-linemen-switch-playoffs-2019-predictions

https://www.pff.com/news/switching-sides

13 hours ago, bucsfan333 said:

Wirfs scored in the 99th percentile at the combine. Dude's a freak athlete. I don't think he'd have any issues at LT.

https://3sigmaathlete.com/sparq-rankings-2020/offensive-line/

I think he would be ok too but moving him in season or training camp wasn't the way to do it especially with the stuff they had to deal with this year.    He will need a full offseason to figure it out.