Weaknesses of the greatest QBs of all time.

TecmoSuperJoe

Everyone always talks about what the best of the best could do at that position. But even despite all their greatness, a lot of top QBs still have some aspects to their game that were lackluster in comparison to everything else they could do. This was more of a shower thought, but I thought it would be an interesting talk. And I mean guys that are in the HOF or HOF worthy. 

For instance, Warren Moon despite his on the field wizardry, had a huge fumbling problem throughout his career. Or Favre as most people know started to really make some huge, head scratching interceptions in big playoff games around the turn of the century and beyond. Aarron Rodgers apparently can hold the ball too long at times. Joe Montana was plagued with injuries and missed a lot of games. 

This isn't going to apply to everyone though. I can't think of some huge issue Brady has ever had. He seems to do everything very well. 

Well, Brady can't really run. People used to claim he couldn't throw well outside the numbers, but the last couple of seasons, he's either added that to his game or just shows it off more. Indeed, this season, he averages the longest throws (in air) and has many highlight deep sideline catches already. So, can't really think of anything he massively struggles with apart from running. He is good for the occasional post season bone-headed throw. 

Manning's troubles in post-season is well documented. Mental issues, it must be, because he'd ruin the same team in the reg season, but turn into Ryan Tannehill in the post-season (well, not that bad). Then later in his career he lost the arm strength, but I guess you're only evaluating at their peak? 

They're the two best in history, for me. Didn't see Joe or Johnny. 

11 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Well, Brady can't really run. People used to claim he couldn't throw well outside the numbers, but the last couple of seasons, he's either added that to his game or just shows it off more. Indeed, this season, he averages the longest throws (in air) and has many highlight deep sideline catches already. So, can't really think of anything he massively struggles with apart from running. He is good for the occasional post season bone-headed throw. 

Manning's troubles in post-season is well documented. Mental issues, it must be, because he'd ruin the same team in the reg season, but turn into Ryan Tannehill in the post-season (well, not that bad). Then later in his career he lost the arm strength, but I guess you're only evaluating at their peak? 

They're the two best in history, for me. Didn't see Joe or Johnny. 

Yes I would mean the peak of their career. And yeah, Brady can't run. I was going to say that, but...I felt like it wouldn't be fair or something. As if it's something he can't fix, because of his genetics. But I guess that would still qualify the more I think about it. Especially if I were to say someone's height was a a drawback. 

I still can't believe Brady is that slow when he runs. It looks really awkward. 

For Rodgers there isn't much of anything he struggles with. I would say his biggest weakness is holding on to the ball too long. He takes sacks instead of check downs/throw aways in an attempt to extend plays. He also has a lot of big plays in his career from this too so its sort of a strength and a weakness. 

Pressure up the middle has troubled Brady throughout his career. He's very good at maneuvering in the pocket,  but sometimes when he can't step up he's not as quick laterally as some others to side step a defender. 

I will say over the past 3-4 seasons hes somehow gottwn a lot better at extending plays and leaving the pocket. It's come up huge at times. 

44 minutes ago, Pats#1 said:

Pressure up the middle has troubled Brady throughout his career. He's very good at maneuvering in the pocket,  but sometimes when he can't step up he's not as quick laterally as some others to side step a defender. 

I will say over the past 3-4 seasons hes somehow gottwn a lot better at extending plays and leaving the pocket. It's come up huge at times. 

Isn't pressure up the middle basically the worst type of pressure you can face though? I remember Steve Young claimed this was the same thing that really would screw up everything. When guys like Gilbert Brown collapsed the middle of the pocket.

1 hour ago, PapaShogun said:

Yes I would mean the peak of their career. And yeah, Brady can't run. I was going to say that, but...I felt like it wouldn't be fair or something. As if it's something he can't fix, because of his genetics. But I guess that would still qualify the more I think about it. Especially if I were to say someone's height was a a drawback. 

I still can't believe Brady is that slow when he runs. It looks really awkward. 

Juked Urlacher out of his socks once though xD

1 hour ago, Spartacus said:

For Rodgers there isn't much of anything he struggles with. I would say his biggest weakness is holding on to the ball too long. He takes sacks instead of check downs/throw aways in an attempt to extend plays. He also has a lot of big plays in his career from this too so its sort of a strength and a weakness. 

He sometimes puts his self in a (usually) bad situation mechanically when passing. But he manages to pull off a play doing so, most of the time. So whether you consider unorthodox mechanics at times to be a weakness...up to you. Similar to holding on to the ball to long. Sometimes it gets him sacked, some times he's letting plays develop and he hits a massive play. 

8 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

Isn't pressure up the middle basically the worst type of pressure you can face though? I remember Steve Young claimed this was the same thing that really would screw up everything. When guys like Gilbert Brown collapsed the middle of the pocket.

Yeah, I'd say so. You can't step up into the pocket and you can't see the middle of the field - two key aspects for TB. 

I'd say Brees' biggest weakness is forcing balls when nothing's there.  He gets trigger happy and gunslings too much.  Although to be fair, a lot of those balls are perfectly placed and extend drives.  But still, it leads to picks when they aren't.  He's not as bad about it as Favre but he's worse than Brady and Rodgers.  

1 hour ago, Spartacus said:

He passes on open guys underneath for a bigger play which a lot of the time results in a throw away or sack. So that too

Archived