Jump to content
beardown3231

Panthers vs Bears GT, 10/18, 12:00

Recommended Posts

10 minutes ago, JAF-N72EX said:

I've went back and watched alot of Foles' games prior to signing here and I kept telling everyone to calm down on Foles being the savior here and I kept saying that he was not much better than Mitch is. And this whole time I feel it's only been @Sugashane and myself that really saw it. 

I didn't really say much about it. But my thoughts at the time were I understood why they would target him because of his familiarity with the coaches but I also had reserves about him knowing the system since I didn't/don't think Nagy had a proven system like Reid or Pederson. Mainly I wanted to see how everything played out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

I legit don't understand. We've seen Foles play? Right?

Are you saying they should go back to Trubisky? If so, why? 

I don't think that he's necessarily saying we should go back to Trubisky but rather questioning the move to a different QB (Foles) when the play of the offense as a whole has not really improved since making the change.

I reckon that after today this O is still ranked in the bottom of the league in most if not all statistical categories.

I'm not asking for much but I'd at least like to see some signs of progress. It's hard for me to see that right now despite the team's overall record.

I'm happy we're 5-1 but still disappointed that the D continues to have to save the O's behind every damn week.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, blkwdw13 said:

I didn't really say much about it. But my thoughts at the time were I understood why they would target him because of his familiarity with the coaches but I also had reserves about him knowing the system since I didn't/don't think Nagy had a proven system like Reid or Pederson. Mainly I wanted to see how everything played out.

 I didn't like the signing for the reasons I already said. I get it that Foles is much better than Bray, os kudos to the FO for that, but it was the money spent and the contract he got that made it even more of a head scratcher to me. Pace let JAX get off the hook completely from a huge contract and for what? A solid backup QB? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, JAF-N72EX said:

Agreed 100%. If he was a backup on a team with a good supporting cast and the starter went down then he can be good enough to keep that team afloat. But outside of those particular conditions, you can't really expect much more from him. 

Also good to see that you don't throw out the 'franchise QB' label too loosely either. 

If/when we ever get one - I'll wear out the word then. Lol

5 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

I don't think that he's necessarily saying we should go back to Trubisky but rather questioning the move to a different QB (Foles) when the play of the offense as a whole has not really improved since making the change.

I reckon that after today this O is still ranked in the bottom of the league in most if not all statistical categories.

I'm not asking for much but I'd at least like to see some signs of progress. It's hard for me to see that right now despite the team's overall record.

I'm happy we're 5-1 but still disappointed that the D continues to have to save the O's behind every damn week.

Exactly. Foles had one really good stretch of play vs ATL, but that was an abomination of a defense that he took advantage of. Since ATL he has thrown 3 TDs and 3 INTs, and averaged under 21 PPG. That is nothing special, and he is leaving a ton of yards on the field too. 

 

Progress was what we should have seen. But Tru regressed, Miller regressed, and the offense is still trash. Nagy is just as disappointing as the QBs. 

 

It doesnt feel like 5-1 does it? I said Winston was the QB to put up points (as much as I dislike him for being an absolute tool), he'd put pressure on the defense with his regular bonehead plays but does anyone here really believe he couldn't beat a 1 to 1 TD/INT ratio per game and 21 PPG? Nagy is used to calling conservative plays whereas Arians is well known for being Martz-level aggressive. So Nagy could limit the INTs to a degree. Oh well. Hopefully we have a better QB in 2021. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, JAF-N72EX said:

 I didn't like the signing for the reasons I already said. I get it that Foles is much better than Bray, os kudos to the FO for that, but it was the money spent and the contract he got that made it even more of a head scratcher to me. Pace let JAX get off the hook completely from a huge contract and for what? A solid backup QB? 

My biggest issue was we traded a pick for him. Trade a poor player? Sure . But a pick when we have so many obvious holes that was bizarre. COVID19 is the only excuse for me, since the offseason was jacked up at least Foles had familiarity with the system. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

My biggest issue was we traded a pick for him. Trade a poor player? Sure . But a pick when we have so many obvious holes that was bizarre. COVID19 is the only excuse for me, since the offseason was jacked up at least Foles had familiarity with the system. 

Lol. Well if it's any consolation it looks like we may actually get a 6th round comp pick out of Shaheen unless he gets injured in the next 5 weeks........oh wait.....on second thought, let me wait on this.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

I don't think that he's necessarily saying we should go back to Trubisky but rather questioning the move to a different QB (Foles) when the play of the offense as a whole has not really improved since making the change.

I reckon that after today this O is still ranked in the bottom of the league in most if not all statistical categories.

I'm not asking for much but I'd at least like to see some signs of progress. It's hard for me to see that right now despite the team's overall record.

I'm happy we're 5-1 but still disappointed that the D continues to have to save the O's behind every damn week.

It should be noted that Tampa and Indianapolis have top 5 defenses this season. Foles' struggles against Carolina are more concerning.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Foles is not playing much better than Mitch. But i hate Mitch's attitude and lack of confidence in himself when playing bad, which can rattle the whole team (we saw some of this last year). And for this season, our only options are either Mitch or Foles. Long term, i think neither is the solution.

Edited by BearFromArgentina
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, BearFromArgentina said:

Foles is not playing much better than Mitch. But i hate Mitch's attitude and lack of confidence in himself when playing bad, which can rattle the whole team (we saw some of this last year). And for this season, our only options are either Mitch or Foles. Long term, i think neither is the solution.

Post more here. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Give me one example of a person on here that was saying Nick Foles was going to be a savior. 
 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, GOGRIESE said:

Give me one example of a person on here that was saying Nick Foles was going to be a savior. 
 

 

I mean, he can definitely stay here next year. It's his option. If he shows off, you get a relatively cheap known option instead of 40 mil Matt Ryan or draft pick unknown... Negotiate a long term deal is probably cheaper and hope they can keep up this method??? Keep drafting corners maybe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Foles has less physical talent than Trubisky and that difference is the only reason their battle is even close. Trubisky has done absolutely nothing to prove he can actually read a defense and make appropriate adjustments at the line. Foles actually does those things, and that's why he's our qb now and Mitch is likely someone else's backup next year. 

I'd add, that unless we draft Lawrence (and spend something like the next 3 years worth of first and second round picks to do so), Foles is almost assuredly the starter next season as well, because again, he can actually read nfl defenses and make the necessary adjustments at the line for this system to function (though we can also debate the "merits" *or lack thereof* of this  offensive scheme /play calling.) 

I don't expect Nick to be a world beater.. But he is also getting few favors from a disastrously poor overall offensive unit featuring an almost comically bad offensive line and consistently inconsistent weapons. You can't always make "chicken salad" out of "chicken ****" 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Sugashane said:

It doesnt feel like 5-1 does it?

It really doesn't... very bizarre feeling season for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Foles has been better, it hasn’t been a big improvement, but he does a better job of getting the Bears in the best possible play.

The offense is deeply flawed from a personnel and big picture plan perspective.

Mediocre QB and a mediocre OL is not a lot to work with on offense.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...