Simulated Mock Drafts

RedGold

42 minutes ago, onejayhawk said:

OT is not a need. C could become one, but we are not there yet.

As of today, our current OTs under contract going into 2021: Eric Fisher (likely out), Mitchel Schwartz (who knows), Lucas Niang, Prince Tega Wanogho, Yasir Durant, Martinas Rankin.

You don't think Eichenberg is a better option than PTW, Durant, and/or Rankin? Even as potential move to OG? Speaking of...

Current OC on the roster in 2021: ________. We have none. Zero. But that's ok, we can just move one of two OG (LDT, Allegretti) to play OC. Oh, but then we don't have two starting OG.

I get that we'll probably make a move somewhere to retain someone. But we haven't, so I'm not going to pretend that we have.

21 minutes ago, kingseanjohn said:

As of today, our current OTs under contract going into 2021: Eric Fisher (likely out), Mitchel Schwartz (who knows), Lucas Niang, Prince Tega Wanogho, Yasir Durant, Martinas Rankin.

You don't think Eichenberg is a better option than PTW, Durant, and/or Rankin? Even as potential move to OG? Speaking of...

Current OC on the roster in 2021: ________. We have none. Zero. But that's ok, we can just move one of two OG (LDT, Allegretti) to play OC. Oh, but then we don't have two starting OG.

I get that we'll probably make a move somewhere to retain someone. But we haven't, so I'm not going to pretend that we have.

By your own standards, starting OT is not a need. If Schwartz is definitely out, then it upgrades a bit, but we have people available. The need is for 2022.

I do not think Eichenberg is going to start with this coaching staff. So, no. he is not a 2021 upgrade. 

If we cannot re-sign Reiter, C is much more difficult. The possibility of Allegretti moving is helpful, but not a given. 

41 minutes ago, onejayhawk said:

Yet, you said there was no need at C because we have bodies to play. 

Not at all. There was unneeded sarcasm there, which I admit doesn’t translate well online. 

You said that C wasn’t a need but could become one. I was trying to point out that it is an immediate need. We don’t have someone that can just move over and start right now. We have our two starting OG, one while hasn’t played in a year, and that’s it unless we move an OT inside. 

Fine. C is not an immediate need because Reiter is still in-house. Hence, we have a healthy and effective player who potentially returns.

The same is true of OT, only in that case the players are under contract. Unless and until we know that Schwartz will not be healthy and effective, we should be looking further down the road. 

Here is one from an updated list. 

32: R1 P32 G Alijah Vera-Tucker - USC
64: R2 P32 WR D'Wayne Eskridge - Western Michigan
95: R3 P31 EDGE Dayo Odeyingbo - Vanderbilt
134: R4 P32 LB Baron Browning - Ohio State
140: R4 P38 C Quinn Meinerz - Wisconsin-Whitewater
173: R5 P32 WR Trevon Grimes - Florida
179: R5 P38 OT Dan Moore - Texas A&M

28 minutes ago, onejayhawk said:

Fine. C is not an immediate need because Reiter is still in-house. Hence, we have a healthy and effective player who potentially returns.

I think this is where our disconnect is. Reiter is an unrestricted free agent, so I’m not considering him as being in house. You’re assuming he returns. If he returns, I agree that C is not a priority in the draft. 

1 hour ago, mayanfootball said:

LOL. Watch this Sunday. Mahomes will be running for his life.

This Sunday we will be playing backups. It's to be expected. 

With no obvious OT to start BOTH sides of the OL, we'll be forced to play Eichenberg, or some FA's who we can't afford come aboard.

Niang and Schwartz are both obvious. If Schwartz is more injured than we have heard, that changes things, but not that much.  I doubt Eichenberg will start in September even if we draft him.

LOLLLLL..........He's going in the 1st. or 2nd. in all the drafts at TDN.

NO way is he falling almost to he 5th. rd !!

What's your point? Not everyone agrees with TDN.

BB's a bit of a stretch at #95. Getting him at #134 (4th round BTW) is nice but not surprising, since he's a fairly limited player. 

1 hour ago, kingseanjohn said:

I think this is where our disconnect is. Reiter is an unrestricted free agent, so I’m not considering him as being in house. You’re assuming he returns. If he returns, I agree that C is not a priority in the draft. 

Correct. Best information available is that he's happy and the team wants him. I am assuming he returns until we know he will not.

Edited by onejayhawk

5 minutes ago, onejayhawk said:

If Schwartz is more injured than we have heard, that changes things, but not that much.

Oh, I beg to differ. He's old. Another year older. And back issues are notoriously nagging and often lead to retirement for guys his age. And don't pencil in Niang just yet. He's coming off injury too and it would be a surprise if he doesn't have at least 1 setback over a 16 game season.

19 minutes ago, mayanfootball said:

Oh really. But whoever it is, You are expecting to start for us in 2021. That does not bode well.

I already said--Schwartz and Niang. It isn't hard to follow. 

15 minutes ago, mayanfootball said:

Oh, I beg to differ. He's old. Another year older. And back issues are notoriously nagging and often lead to retirement for guys his age. And don't pencil in Niang just yet. He's coming off injury too and it would be a surprise if he doesn't have at least 1 setback over a 16 game season.

This is a valid point, though 32 is not old for a top level OL. It is a potentially troubling injury. The key word is potentially.

I write in Niang in ink. He's at least as good as Eichenberg. You like TDN. His review: 

Lucas Niang is a high-upside starter in the NFL. Niang's mobility would make him a great fit in a zone style system and his length and range as a pass blocker make him an attractive option for teams with deeper passing concepts.

The biggest issue is that he played RT at TCU.

J

Edited by onejayhawk

32 Liam Eichenberg, OT, Notre Dame; obvious need

64 Cameron McGrone, LB, Michigan; obvious need

95 Tylan Wallace, WR, Oklahoma State; obvious need; goodbye Sammy Watkins

136 Shaka Toney, edge, Penn State; Kpass. probably has seen his last here sooner than later.

175 Drake Jackson, C, Kentucky; Center is now a true need

176 Brenden Jaimes, OT, Nebraska; can play LT, RT, but probably best suited to OG.

180 Trevon Grimes, WR, Florida; 6'4", 214lbs.; run blocker that Reid will appreciate; red-zone target, Z receiver adept at West Coast offense, big slot option.

Edited by mayanfootball