Simulated Mock Drafts

RedGold

Ick. If you look at the big board above, you will not see Alex Leatherwood. I agree with that. He does not fall in the top 50. Leatherwood has the physical tools, but not the It factor. 

To show how ridiculous it can get, this is from a new CBS Big Board.

31: R1 P31 OT Teven Jenkins - Oklahoma State
63: R2 P31 OT Walker Little - Stanford
94: R3 P30 OT Jackson Carman - Clemson
136: R4 P31 OT Stone Forsythe - Florida
144: R4 P39 OT Josh Ball - Marshall
175: R5 P31 OT Alaric Jackson - Iowa
181: R5 P37 OT Jaylon Moore - Western Michigan

That's fine. I have no problem with someone else drafting him in the first round. Combine heroes are frequently over-drafted. For a comparison, consider Tanoh Kpassagnon. TK always looked great coming out of the tunnel.

To me, Leatherwood is mid to late second round material, now behind Forsythe. Mayfield is more complicated. He has produced at the lever everyone expected from Leatherwood, but the poor showing at his pro-day matters.

The bottom line is that Leatherwood has had his chance to excel and didn't. I hope someone else takes him so we are not tempted.

J

• Like 1

Where’s Spencer Brown?  That’s why I don’t take a ton of these boards rankings to heart.  Most of these sites are just copying and pasting and making minor adjustments without doing a ton of research.  

I 100% agree on Leatherwood though.  He’s pretty similar to Cam Robinson,   High recruit,  has all the tools..  He should be a top 10 pick with his talents.  
If I’m taking a traits guy, it’s Spencer Brown,  I wouldn’t hesitate in the 2nd round on him. 

I would have Brown early 3rd round, mostly because of the depth of the class. It would not break my heart to see him as #63, but I would hope for better. 

DraftTek

31: R1 P31 EDGE Gregory Rousseau - Miami (FL)
63: R2 P31 S Hamsah Nasirildeen - Florida State
94: R3 P30 OT Stone Forsythe - Florida
136: R4 P31 LB Pete Werner - Ohio State
144: R4 P39 WR Marlon Williams - UCF
175: R5 P31 WR Josh Imatorbhebhe - Illinois
181: R5 P37 TE Tre' McKitty - Georgia

thedraftnetwork

Draft position: I consider these roughly where they should be. Mayfield has really slid. His pro-day left much to be desired.

Tevon Jenkins - 17

Alex Leatherwood - 32

Sam Cosmi - 37

Liam Eichenberg - 41

Dillon Radunz - 54

Jalen Mayfield - 69

J.Carman - 85

Spencer Brown. - 86

Stone Forsythe - 93

Edited by mayanfootball

That looks like you cloned TDN. Move Cosmi down about a few and Leatherwood about 25. Move Forsythe up a full round and Brown about 20.

I like that Jenkins is rubbing shoulders with Darrisaw. That's appropriate. They are close enough it's a matter of taste. 

J

5 minutes ago, onejayhawk said:

That looks like you cloned TDN. Move Cosmi down about a few and Leatherwood about 25. Move Forsythe up a full round and Brown about 20.

I like that Jenkins is rubbing shoulders with Darrisaw. That's appropriate. They are close enough it's a matter of taste. 

J

Your gripe is with thedraftnetwork.

3 minutes ago, mayanfootball said:

Your gripe is with thedraftnetwork.

If you mean that I don't like their rankings, no. If you mean that they are always right and anyone who disagrees is a dweeb, then no again. In the second case, the gripe would be with their fans. 

I did want to ask, what do you think of Leatherwood's cone drill and shuttle times and how they compared to Forsythe's elite numbers? Change of direction and lateral movement are important for OT. 

J

2 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

Change of direction and lateral movement are important for OT. 

No cone or shuttle drills that i'm aware of. Alex is stiff in the lower half, similar to Sam Cosmi. However he excels in the run game. His pass sets are fine for those who attack him vertically. He's at least as good as Eric Fisher was, and Eric struggled with speed around the end. Alex has 34+" arms. Extending those makes it difficult to get around to the QB.

Roughly 212 hours out until the draft. I expect I'll do two more after this one.

31. Terrace Marshall Jr, WR LSU - Day one starter

63. Josh Myers, IOL Ohio State - Long term solution at center

94. Stone Forsythe, OT Florida - I'd want to bring in a vet for this year with Forsythe waiting 1-2 years

136. Patrick Jones II, DE Pittsburgh - Could start, but worst case heavily involved in rotation

144. Ambry Thomas, CB Michigan - Depth this year, should start in '22+

175. Patrick Johnson, Edge Tulane - The guy makes plays. I think he'd be a LB/DE hybrid who moves around to disguise coverage

181. Tre McKitty, TE Georgia - Competes for #2 spot. Earns #3 at worst imo

207. Tamorrion Terry, WR Florida State - I don't care where he's ranked. If he's there at your last pick you take him or trade back in to get him

I'd feel a whole lot better if we signed Villanueva to a one year deal. He's 32 and declining though, so I don't want any money tied to him past this year.

• Like 1

Would love that draft king.  

One of Patrick Jones and Patrick Johnson would need to bust hard, as I would get them confused till the end of time. 

I’m really souring on Cosmi,   Him and Spencer Brown have the same issues and Brown has a much higher ceiling.   We’ll probably end up taking Cosmi now.  

38 minutes ago, samsel23 said:

Would love that draft king.  

One of Patrick Jones and Patrick Johnson would need to bust hard, as I would get them confused till the end of time. 

I’m really souring on Cosmi,   Him and Spencer Brown have the same issues and Brown has a much higher ceiling.   We’ll probably end up taking Cosmi now.  

I'd be happy with it. It's not perfect, but what draft is?

Jones and Johnson are two guys who have good potential as mid-round picks. Having a strong DE rotation this year will allow us to move on from Clark and his '22 cap hit of 26+mil. I also really like Elerson Smith but he seems to be rising up boards now. Someone in the draft forum gave him a Jason Taylor comparison.

I'm not as down on Cosmi as you. But I will admit that I haven't given Brown any due diligence. So maybe I'll look at one more guy before next weekend. His testing numbers are obviously ridiculous. It's hard to take some of them serious though since they were all pro days.