Simulated Mock Drafts

RedGold

I think you may be mixing up Bush and White.  Understandable, as they have similar names. 

Yeah, I absolutely agree a lot of those guys have pass rush ability,  along with sideline to sideline speed,  as well as good traits in coverage.  

My point with Tavai was he was a 3rd round guy, taken early 2nd.   Wilson was more of 4th, taken in the 3rd.  Guys that project well in all 3 areas, teams aren’t waiting.   It’s the scheme limited (thumper, pure pass coverage) guys that tend to drop. 

I envision McGrone as a Deion Jones type.  He needs seasoning,  but he has the skill set to replace Hitchens in base coverages, but also the blitzing/coverage skill set to stay at MLB in subpackages.   

Apologies if that came off as me attacking you,  was dealing with some family stuff and was tired.  Never my intention,  I enjoy differing opinions. 

1 hour ago, mayanfootball said:

I envision him tackling between the numbers. Key word TACKLING, which i haven't seen our LB's do much of.

Then don't invest a premium pick. One of the Ohio State LB would do that quite well and you can have your choice in the 3rd round.

Samsel is right in that I got Bush and White's names backward. As my other comments make clear, I mean the guy in Pittsburgh. I agree that flexibility is something teams covet. Any single trait can be schemed against.

As an aside, that's why I like this Chiefs team so much. We can win the shootouts, but we can also win the rugby scrums.  

J

Edited by onejayhawk

This is Marino's newest mock from TDN

95.Kansas_City_Chiefs_logo.svg.pngChiefs Cameron McGrone LB, Michigan

This is one using the new Drafttek list. 

32: R1 P32 DL Kwity Paye - Michigan
64: R2 P32 LB Cameron McGrone - Michigan
95: R3 P31 OT Dillon Radunz - North Dakota State
134: R4 P32 WR J.D. Spielman - TCU
140: R4 P38 S Tariq Thompson - San Diego State
173: R5 P32 G Sadarius Hutcherson - South Carolina
179: R5 P38 C Michal Menet - Penn State

Paye is legit, ie ranked #18 and slid. He's a guy I'd trade up to get. 

McGrone slid a bit, but Radunz was ranked in triple digits.

J

Edited by onejayhawk

43 minutes ago, mayanfootball said:

With the recent Fisher injury, we need OT help fast at #32. MLB will just have to wait.

I understand but don't agree. There is nothing to indicate either Fisher or Schwartz will not be ready for camp. In fact, there was hope Schwartz would be ready by now. Even if neither is ready, Remmers has shown as an adequate fill in. Also, the staff has shown a definite reluctance to start rookies. 

If an OT is good value at the pick, it's one thing, and it's very possible. There is a bunch of possibilities who rank in the 5 pick range on either side of us, eg Cosmi, Carman, Eichenberg, even Mayfield and Radunz. But, any amount of reaching is not a good idea. Better to go after another value pick like Niang. 

This raises a question. Which players are physically capable, but have some sort of red flag? Niang's was an injury that would have limited him at the start of the season.

J

52 minutes ago, onejayhawk said:

Cosmi, Carman, Eichenberg, even Mayfield and Radunz. But, any amount of reaching is not a good idea.

Cosmi doesn't have the core strength needed.

Carman doesn't fit our zone scheme. He's a power Olineman.

Mayfield is a great pick at #32. Maybe the best. I'd start him immediately at LT

Radunz is ok at RT.

Liam Eichenberg would make a great LT for us.

None of these guys is reaching at #32. That is just your opinion. But let's agree to wait for the Combine and other workouts to finalize our choice

Edited by mayanfootball

1 hour ago, kingseanjohn said:

I think Niang will/should play LT. OL became an even bigger need of that was possible. 

Are you sure he can handle that?    I saw him more as a RG/RT,   I don't his feet are good enough to stick at LT.   He's a large dude,  and pretty athletic for how big he is..  but LT athleticism may be pushing it.    I'd rather have a dominant RT/RG,  than a LT that's just passable.  

OL needs come from;    they are high cap hits/short deals,   and it's not necessarily a strength.    It is the easiest position to reduce cap hits, as well as improve at the same time.  Sure if you do not take these cap hits coming up in the coming years,   it's not the biggest need...  but we are losing 2-3 of our higher cap hits.   Fisher/Schwartz are definitely two of the easiest guys to move on from.     Hitchens/Clark would be the other two,  though those come with Dead Hits.

36 minutes ago, samsel23 said:

Are you sure he can handle that?    I saw him more as a RG/RT,   I don't his feet are good enough to stick at LT.   He's a large dude,  and pretty athletic for how big he is..  but LT athleticism may be pushing it.    I'd rather have a dominant RT/RG,  than a LT that's just passable.  

I thought he needed a year or two before he really becomes a good LT. I wanted him to be the swing OT and just be the 6th man while learning and correcting his issues. That was before sitting out this year. Now with Fisher possibly missing next season and who knows if Schwartz returns/holds up, trial by fire may be the best option. Right now, I just don't see who we can draft/acquire that will be a clear upgrade to his potential.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kingseanjohn said:

I thought he needed a year or two before he really becomes a good LT. I wanted him to be the swing OT and just be the 6th man while learning and correcting his issues. That was before sitting out this year. Now with Fisher possibly missing next season and who knows if Schwartz returns/holds up, trial by fire may be the best option. Right now, I just don't see who we can draft/acquire that will be a clear upgrade to his potential.

Fair enough.   I have my doubts at LT,   for sure ready to see him on the field though!

1 hour ago, mayanfootball said:

Cosmi doesn't have the core strength needed.

Carman doesn't fit our zone scheme. He's a power Olineman.

Mayfield is a great pick at #32. Maybe the best. I'd start him immediately at LT

Radunz is ok at RT.

Liam Eichenberg would make a great LT for us.

None of these guys is reaching at #32. That is just your opinion. But let's agree to wait for the Combine and other workouts to finalize our choice

Mayfield is not a drop-the-plan-and-grab-him sort of player, but I would have no problem taking him at 32. I disagree about Cosmi. Strength can be trained, but not athleticism. I might take him over Eichenberg. 

The point is that all these guys are in the 27 to 37 range on someone's list, so not reaches. If one of them is available, by all means, pull the trigger. For that matter, if Vera-Tucker is there, take him. Draft talent, not role.

J

11 minutes ago, mayanfootball said:

He's not a LT, which is really what we're talking about. I agree with the others about Niang. He's a RT.

Correct. He's purely OG, where we have a load of options. If he's there, scrap the plan and take him. Impact first of all things. 

J