2020 Week #6 GDT Steelers vs. Browns

Steeler Hitman

Just now, warfelg said:

Nice, we got Nantz and Romo on the call.  Finally going to hear a non-biased game lol.

we did not get them at all last yr

looks like they'll call our next few games looking at the schedule. CBS gets our games against the titans, Ravens and cowboys. those are all big TV games for CBS

On 10/17/2020 at 3:42 PM, mtmmike said:

Both Dupree and Cams sacks are down

Stats can sometimes be deceiving and again you can't just count this as a normal year. In Bud's case not really (see below) but in Cams yes his sacks are down. However, I still fully expect him to come in between 7 - 10 sacks.  Considering his position in our scheme, those are great numbers for a hybrid 3-4 DE/Nickel DT.  

Bud Dupree is definitely getting to the QB better and the missing stat is pressures.

While the overall tackle numbers are down (teams are also throwing more and at a higher success rate than 2019).  Bud's overall game is better than it has been since he was drafted and he is doing what we expect from him (thus far and considering the circumstances).

Bud Dupree in 2019 56 tackles 37 solo and 19 assist 11.5 sacks 3 passes defended by far his best year

in four games i 2020 he has 11 tackles 5 solo 6 assists 3 sacks 1 pass defended

Take that out with the same number times 4 or 16 games = 44 tackles 20 solo 24 assist 12 sacks 4 pass defended 

Did not see 1 tackle for loss from either of them against Denver.

Again this is a small sample size but I believe last year when we beat you the ground game was effective against you.

We averaged 4.4 per carry last year

Dupree, Heyward ,Heyward, Watt only had

1 sack between them.

No dispute or excuse. I admit and have said that the Browns match up well in the trenches on both sides of the ball with the Steelers. What was missing was complimentary football from Pittsburgh. Mason had his worst game as a pro the first game and the second, game was Duck Hodges.  We applied no consistent offensive threat and thus most teams played us knowing that our offense probably wasn't going to put up more than 20 points or consistently sustain drives or be able to run stacking the box. A classic case of bad offense = not as effective defense despite having a decent defense. Most teams pretty much knew if they got up 10 or 14 points, the Steelers offense wasn't coming back. The Steelers did the second game in Pittsburgh but that was certainly not the case for most of the year and particularly the final three weeks when teams were locked into what Mason and Duck could and could not do.

I have not looked at when Pittsburgh beat us but we are 1 heck of a better running team this year.

I don't dispute that, but based on all circumstances, that doesn't mean that you will be better running and passing against the Steelers in 2020. If the Browns think they can run the ball 35 times for 200 yards, be my guests. If you do that then you probably deserve to win. My thought is that a more effective Steelers offense than what they had in 2019 will dictate some of what can and will be done in the game on both sides.  As much as we say next man up, we know that Duck and Mason are not Ben (even at times a bad Ben). If the Steelers score like many think they can, then that takes trying to pound the ball for four quarters out of the equation, especially of the Steelers get up 14 or 17 points. Not saying that will happen, but using it as an example. Anyway, Kick off in about 25 minutes, so all the analysis and guessing comes off the board.

On 10/17/2020 at 9:36 PM, 43M said:

Gotta love @Steeler Hitman.

He writes a novel every time he posts.  😄😉

I have a tad bit of War and Peace in me! 🤪  I just enjoy having some people to talk football with (I miss that), even if it is online.

Edited by Steeler Hitman
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Steeler Hitman said:

Stats can sometimes be deceiving and again you can't just count this as a normal year. In Bud's case not really (see below) but in Cams yes his sacks are down. However, I still fully expect him to come in between 7 - 10 sacks.  Considering his position in our scheme, those are great numbers for a hybrid 3-4 DE/Nickel DT.  

Bud Dupree is definitely getting to the QB better and the missing stat is pressures.

While the overall tackle numbers are down (teams are also throwing more and at a higher success rate than 2019).  Bud's overall game is better than it has been since he was drafted and he is doing what we expect from him (thus far and considering the circumstances).

Bud Dupree in 2019 56 tackles 37 solo and 19 assist 11.5 sacks 3 passes defended by far his best year

in four games i 2020 he has 11 tackles 5 solo 6 assists 3 sacks 1 pass defended

Take that out with the same number times 4 or 16 games = 44 tackles 20 solo 24 assist 12 sacks 4 pass defended 

I don't dispute that, but based on all circumstances, that doesn't mean that you will be better running and passing against the Steelers in 2020. If the Browns think they can run the ball 35 times for 200 yards, be my guests. If you do that then you probably deserve to win. My thought is that a more effective Steelers offense than what they had in 2019 will dictate some of what can and will be done in the game on both sides.  As much as we say next man up, we know that Duck and Mason are not Ben (even at times a bad Ben). If the Steelers score like many think they can, then that takes trying to pound the ball for four quarters out of the equation, especially of the Steelers get up 14 or 17 points. Not saying that will happen, but using it as an example. Anyway, Kick off in about 25 minutes, so all the analysis and guessing comes off the board.

I have a it of War and Peace in me! 🤪  I just enjoy having some people to talk football with (I miss that), even if it is online.

Ok let’s get ready to rumble