5 OLB's

3rivers

IIRC we usually have 4 but this season we have 5. Can you remember the last season we had 5 OLB's? I see Jarvis Jones is still unsigned 9_9 so lets hope that we don't have IR hit OLB because the last thing any of us want is to see Jarvis back on the team. What a wasted #1 pick he was.

As for a wasted #1 pick, where would Jarvis rank for us in the last 20 years?

Admittedly, I liked Jones coming out.   I had some concerns but I thought he had the work ethic and tenacity to overcome some of his physical shortcomings.    I was wrong...he never seemed to be too worried about improving himself as a physical specimen or technical player.      I never got the feeling he loved the game and was just playing to earn a paycheck.

However, he did change the way I evaluate certain players, especially pass rushers.

5 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Admittedly, I liked Jones coming out.   I had some concerns but I thought he had the work ethic and tenacity to overcome some of his physical shortcomings.    I was wrong...he never seemed to be too worried about improving himself as a physical specimen or technical player.      I never got the feeling he loved the game and was just playing to earn a paycheck.

However, he did change the way I evaluate certain players, especially pass rushers.

Yeah, Jarvis has made me forever weary of technical "football guy" pass rushers. Give me a freak athlete every time now. Even better when you can get a guy like Watt.

Jarvis taught me two things when watching college pass rushers:

1) Throw stats when looking at pass rushers.

2) Pay attention to medical.

#2 is why I wasn't a huge fan of Watt coming out.  He has dismal medical issues.  #1 is why I loved Tuitt, his stats his last year at ND didn't reflect what he was as a player.

It should be

1) the combine scores do mean something for pass rushers.  pay attention to VJ, BJ and 3 cone.

2) tape does not lie.  Stats do.

3) drafting pass rushers is hard but more quantifiable than a CB.

For The Steelers DE it is easy.  Are they 6'5+? check.  280-300lbs? Check. Good motor?  check.  Tuitt was made for the Steelers.  I said so before the draft and luckily, he fell to the 2nd round because of the depth of talent that year.

Just now, jebrick said:

It should be

1) the combine scores do mean something for pass rushers.  pay attention to VJ, BJ and 3 cone.

For The Steelers DE it is easy.  Are they 6'5+? check.  280-300lbs? Check. Good motor?  check.  Tuitt was made for the Steelers.  I said so before the draft and luckily, he fell to the 2nd round because of the depth of talent that year.

Tuitt was so good the year ND made the championship game. They lost a lot of talent on the defense and he was injured that year too. I don't know how so many other teams passed on him. It seemed obvious.

20 minutes ago, jebrick said:

It should be

I've always believed in that stuff anyways so it's not something I needed to personally add.  The injury history is something I added.

Injury history is hard for us fans as we can not see the medicals that the teams see.  Looking at Lawson, we can only guess what his medicals said but he dropped from a late 1st or early 2nd to a 4th.  A place where a team can gamble.  My bet if the Bengals did not gamble there he would have fallen another round.  Were teams sacred of his hip injury?  Must be.

For Jones his work scores moved him to a DND for me.  His film showed more scheme than pure skill and his workout scores matched.  99% of the time I trust the professionals over me in the draft.

2 minutes ago, jebrick said:

Injury history is hard for us fans as we can not see the medicals that the teams see.  Looking at Lawson, we can only guess what his medicals said but he dropped from a late 1st or early 2nd to a 4th.  A place where a team can gamble.  My bet if the Bengals did not gamble there he would have fallen another round.  Were teams sacred of his hip injury?  Must be.

For Jones his work scores moved him to a DND for me.  His film showed more scheme than pure skill and his workout scores matched.  99% of the time I trust the professionals over me in the draft.

For me the reason I changed was he was let go by USC because of his Spinal issue, that was quite well known.  Well after getting drafted, there was a S&T coach that talked about how that injury prevented Jones from being able to put on large amounts of muscle.

So I've become far more informed about when an injury pops up to look into it.  Like Lawson....after looking into it more, I cooled because the hip issue he has tends to be degenerative in nature.  So there's a chance he's good but only has like a 5-6 year career.

What scared me a bit about Watt is the injuries he had tend to lead to a lack of mobility, and possibly a microfracture surgery in the future.

6 minutes ago, JDLefebvre said:

Seems the thread name should be changed to complain about the Jarvis Jones pick.    :)

LOL.

If they do need someone back because of depth issues it will likely be Jones just because he knows the defense.  And for what it's worth this topic is a little off since we are carrying 5 OLB's.  They just haven't all been able to cress in the same week.  Dupree was hurt, then TJ, then Harrison was sick.

There are better OLBs out there if we need them.   Ill take older OLBs like Dumervil and Freeney over Jervis.

I dont like the "knows the defense" logic.   Its probably the logic our front office would use, but Ill take talent over familiarity every time.    

Archived