Texans Head Coach Search

amazingandre

I do not like this, but we better not sleep on this idea (it is such a Texans move)

Kelly keeps the offense improving and turns things around, RAC controls the tempo and game day management and our defense slowly improves. What if Cal decides to keep RAC as HC, Kelly as OC, Weaver as DC and just want to pair the group with a GM?

4 minutes ago, amazingandre said:

I do not like this, but we better not sleep on this idea (it is such a Texans move)

Kelly keeps the offense improving and turns things around, RAC controls the tempo and game day management and our defense slowly improves. What if Cal decides to keep RAC as HC, Kelly as OC, Weaver as DC and just want to pair the group with a GM?

What GM wants to tie themselves to that would be my question... That seems like a wasted year, sort of like the Browns going with Freddie Kitchens last season...

5 minutes ago, amazingandre said:

NRG needs to be rioted if that happened.

29 minutes ago, amazingandre said:

Let me play devil's advocate here. 

Kelly puts the offense in the top 10 both passing and running, Watson posts top 7 QB stats. We end with a 9-7 season (maybe we squeak into the 7th seed). What do you do?

Let the GM pick his staff. Kelly can interview for the gig, and he might have a leg up with the endorsement from Watson - but he's still got to earn the spot with the new GM making the decision.

59 minutes ago, amazingandre said:

Let me play devil's advocate here. 

Kelly puts the offense in the top 10 both passing and running, Watson posts top 7 QB stats. We end with a 9-7 season (maybe we squeak into the 7th seed). What do you do?

wish Kelly good luck in his future endeavors.

• Like 1

Bienemy- been with the Chiefs since 2013, with Reid before that in Philly, helped win a Superbowl 

Kelly- you call one good game against the Jags and suddenly you're in HC conversation? He's been around OB for too long for me to trust him

EDIT: I just really dont want a Freddie Kitchens situation

Edited by tab
  • Like 2

We lack draft capital/cap room, have a tremendously talented young QB, and have an underachieving offense. Give me Bienemy all day in that situation. Let's get our offense back in the top 5/10 and try to out-score teams while we figure out the defense. 

• Like 1

On 10/13/2020 at 3:15 PM, ET80 said:

What GM wants to tie themselves to that would be my question... That seems like a wasted year, sort of like the Browns going with Freddie Kitchens last season...

We managed to land Jon Robinson despite Strunk's want to keep Mularkey as head coach. Wound up working out as Mularkey managed to change the culture here and take us at least from being a laughing stock to being respectable, but to Strunk's credit when Robinson felt that Mularkey had gotten us as far as he possibly could, she let him fire him and pick his own coach. And that was literally right after Mularkey got us to our first playoff appearance in nearly a decade and won a game in the playoffs.

So I guess there was some kind of agreement between STrunk and Robinson like "hey if you don't see a good future with Mularkey, you can fire him, I just want to give him a shot first" type of deal.

Dunno enough about the McNair ownership to know if they'd give their GM that kind of agreement in the event that they wanted to keep the current staff in place.