Texans Head Coach Search

amazingandre

1 hour ago, Texansfan713 said:

I'm curious to see you all thoughts.  Does this article change your stance on Bieniemy?

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/texans-targeting-eric-bieniemy-as-head-coach/

This factors into it a bit - most notably the amount of work Reid does. How much is really Eric Bienemy?

He's still in my top two, but Selah has a lead now.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Marco79 said:

My biggest thing with a coach is that I want whoever is calling plays to be innovative. They have a generational talent in Watson and for the past 4 years he has been stuck in this vanilla offense (since BOB left it has gotten slightly better). I feel like Saleh coming over from a very innovative offensive mind will realize this and make sure to set Watson up with someone who can help him realize his full potential. 

In a perfect world, Selah is bringing Mike LaFluer along with him. LaFluer would get to start his HC campaign with Watson making him look like a superstar OC...

That's one thing I'm confident about - this Texans OC role is the hottest coordinator role out there, Watson is going to make a few HCs simply on the merit of his own ability.

Hmm I dont think the article really changed much for me, maybe lowered my opinion a little because I didnt know he was an OC on a bad Bills team. A few other things have kind of factored in over the season, like learning about some unpleasant stuff in Bienemy's history, and just how the 49ers have played despite being obliterated with injuries. I really like Saleh's interviews as well, he seems really sharp. I just think after BOB, I really want a coach who will focus on "having the team ready to play". I really want a Mike Tomlin type I guess.I do worry about of course, how much of KC is Reid vs Bienemy, but I feel like we shouldnt be afraid to go for him if we think he can be a good HC

• Like 1

I'd still hitch my wagon to the Bieniemy train. We have one of the top 3-5 quarterbacks in this league, and while sure, you could opt to rely on him to work his magic and focus on finding people who will mitigate the weaknesses elsewhere, I think there's something to be said for capitalizing on your biggest strength - and for us, that is without a doubt Deshaun Watson. Bieniemy's record as OC speaks for itself - over 6000 yards every year, 1-2-1 in yards per play, top 5 every year in scoring. Mahomes' first year as starter was Bieniemy's first year as coordinator, so you have to give him a fair chunk of credit for QB development. Watson still has room to grow, and I don't see a better answer than going for the guy who helped build the other best young quarterback in the league today.

As for his stint in Colorado, I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt for not being able to quickly turn around a moribund college team in two years in his first go at the job, especially one that didn't have a winning season five years before and wouldn't have another until five years after he left.  And in regards to how much of Kansas City is Reid vs Bieniemy, I'd point out that both of Bieniemy's immediate predecessors as Kansas City OCs have gone on to be head coaches - Pederson won a Super Bowl with Philadelphia and Nagy has yet to have a losing season in the 3 years he's been in Chicago. While I don't doubt that Reid is a critical part of Kansas City's success, unless he has drastically changed his methodology in the past few years, I feel like that track record implies that Bieniemy will be ready if we pick him up as our head coach.

So if he's the front office's top goal? Go for it. Sometimes the answer is obvious for a reason.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Longhorns90 said:

And in regards to how much of Kansas City is Reid vs Bieniemy, I'd point out that both of Bieniemy's immediate predecessors as Kansas City OCs have gone on to be head coaches - Pederson won a Super Bowl with Philadelphia and Nagy has yet to have a losing season in the 3 years he's been in Chicago.

While I won't argue your overall point - we'd be remiss to notice that both Pederson and Nagy are on rather warm seats in Philadelphia and Chicago. Carson Wentz has regressed significantly and Mitch Trubisky never really progressed under Nagy.

I'm not saying that Bienemy or Watson would suffer the same fate, but it needs to be said that not all things are rosy for Reid acolytes. It's probable that one of those two will end up replacing Bienemy if/when they are looking for work.

31 minutes ago, ET80 said:

While I won't argue your overall point - we'd be remiss to notice that both Pederson and Nagy are on rather warm seats in Philadelphia and Chicago. Carson Wentz has regressed significantly and Mitch Trubisky never really progressed under Nagy.

I'm not saying that Bienemy or Watson would suffer the same fate, but it needs to be said that not all things are rosy for Reid acolytes. It's probable that one of those two will end up replacing Bienemy if/when they are looking for work.

My counter point to that would be that Kansas City wasn't known as a quarterback hotspot, nor as the offensive juggernaut that they've since become until Mahomes and Bieniemy took over in 2018. And that while Reid has always been a consistently very good coach, he never got over the top until he did so last year, with Bieniemy being a major part of his staff.

I get what you're saying, though.

Edited by Longhorns90
  • Like 2

I hate Nagy as an example of a Good Coach because I've seen him do some mindboggling dumb stuff in the name of 'offensive creativity'. Finally realizing he should run the ball with Montgomery is the smartest thing he's done in his tenure there

Let’s swing for the fences with a super young offensive minded HC who can hire a proven veteran defensive coordinator. 

our offense is not a problem. Get a better offensive pass blocking system and we will be fine. We can run it back with the same personnel. 

on defense we have need of a major overhaul but we are legit a 16-20th ranked defense away from being 11-5 

After watching us give up 41 points and a 50+ yard pass with 18 seconds left, Saleh is my number 1 candidate. This team lacks discipline, heart, and is one of the worst defenses I've see the Texans have. I've watched enough 49ers because of my wife to know what type of coach he is and the leadership he would provide would be a welcome change. Even with a lost season, the 49ers still had a tough-as-nails defense where a bunch a backups ended up playing their *** off. All his players sing him nothing but praises too. I'm convinced that Watson will find a way to make the Texans successful on offense as long as he's at QB so I'm less enthralled with the need for a dynamic OC to be our HC. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, LORK88 said:

After watching us give up 41 points and a 50+ yard pass with 18 seconds left, Saleh is my number 1 candidate. This team lacks discipline, heart, and is one of the worst defenses I've see the Texans have. I've watched enough 49ers because of my wife to know what type of coach he is and the leadership he would provide would be a welcome change. Even with a lost season, the 49ers still had a tough-as-nails defense where a bunch a backups ended up playing their *** off. All his players sing him nothing but praises too. I'm convinced that Watson will find a way to make the Texans successful on offense as long as he's at QB so I'm less enthralled with the need for a dynamic OC to be our HC. 

The thing that scares me is his lack of long term success and that niners defense was loaded (although the end of the season they were decimated with injury and they kept up their level of play). I like him and he is on my list, but I still think I lean offensive minded. The risk of turn over year in and year out on the offensive side of the ball scares me. 

46 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Unrelated, but...

https://tdalabamamag.com/2021/01/03/bill-o-brien-nfl-head-coach-alabama-football/

With Steve Sark now the HC at UT, Alabama has an opening for OC ...and guess who was out there?

The Alabama dynasty is going to come to an end. 😆

I hope they hire him and he ruins them for life. 

• Like 1