Texans Head Coach Search

amazingandre

Apparently Watson said he heard it was fun to play under Eberflus, I wonder if that was his choice he told to Cal.

Surprised we didn’t go out the gate requesting to see Saleh and Bienemy but I’m going to foolishly trust the team on this one and not try to second guess anything (that way I can be free to complain later if the guys I like turn out terrible)

My wishlist, given the past few days:

1. Robert Selah, San Francisco (to get a top 10 unit out of that walking MASH unit in San Francisco is incredible).

2. Eric Bienemy, Kansas City (he'd be a perfect fit for Deshaun Watson).

3. Matt Eberflus, Indianapolis (Weaken a division rival and bring in some tough defense - that's a W for me).

4. Joe Brady (biggest boom/bust of the group. He's either the next McVay or the next Lane Kiffen, no in between).

5. Jim Caldwell/Marvin Lewis (Low upside, but limited downside with these two. They're both experienced enough to work with any GM, as well as to bring on a very good team of coaches to run the day-to-day).

Sigh

This is your yearly reminder that there is basically no correlation between being a good coordinator and a good HC. Totally different skill sets and duties. The HC also has, or should have, less effect on on field play than the coordinators and the position coaches. HC sets strategy, coordinators set tactics. No one ever needs an offensive/defensive minded HC. They need good coordinators and a HC that knows how to manage the game and people.

• Like 1

Bieniemy I can see the doubt, Saleh not really but...

The list compiled so far has me thinking the search firm has done a really good job and DW really is in on this. 

Eberflus, Brady and Arthur Smith are all solid picks, even if I think Smith is a poor man's Greg Roman.

The only thing this truly solidifies for me is that the Texans are following through when it comes to hiring a GM first, as they've had like 10 GM interviews so far to the 3 actual HC interviews, probably because the org is checking out Deshaun's main candidates... and the GM picks so far have been good.

Edited by Drained

54 minutes ago, Drained said:

and the GM picks so far have been good.

Welp...

This will disgust me. I will track Cal McNair down and fight him if this is the hire. I don't care, I'll go to jail - Nick Caserio can not be the GM of the Texans.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

Welp...

This will disgust me. I will track Cal McNair down and fight him if this is the hire. I don't care, I'll go to jail - Nick Caserio can not be the GM of the Texans.

I.L.O.L.'.D.... LMAO.. the fightin Kempner Kougars!

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

Welp...

i'll donate to your bail

• Like 1