Texans Head Coach Search

amazingandre

4 minutes ago, ET80 said:

All jokes aside - I sincerely wonder if Easterby/Cal have increased personal security.

I mean, we're in Texas. We have guns. I can see an irrational fan going a few steps too far.

They shouldn't have to, but you never know. I'd like to think Texans are responsible, but it only takes one deranged lunatic, and we have plenty.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

I agree with this - but I'm so disillusioned, I'm thinking if it DOESN'T go well, we'll lose on both.

I feel good about him as GM and think we'll look back at this as a moment that will help stabilize the Texans, same with who he brings in as HC. He's a smart guy so he has to know the ramifications on his HC choice and is aware of the optics on the team right now. Everything I read on him is he's a sharp, communicates well, and is very no nonsense which is exactly what we need at this point. Of course, the exact opposite could happen, but like Ricky Bobby in Talladega Nights putting all is his eggs in the "Real World" basket, I'm putting all my eggs in the Caserio basket.

29 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Gross.

Gross.

Gross.

I know nothing on Culley so can't really comment. Harbaugh seems big on him, Ravens fans seem like they want to get rid of him. Apparently he was the WR coach in KC when no WR caught a TD the entire season. I'd be reluctant to bring someone in who's pretty much been a WR coach for his entire career and never a coordinator at the pro level to be a HC at 65 years old. Hard pass on Leslie Frazier. Love him as a DC, easily one of the best, but he was out of his element as a head coach in Minnesota. Caldwell would be a safe, boring hire. The Lions have only had a winning record 5 times since 2000. Caldwell is responsible for 3 of those in a 4 year span which is impressive. I don't think he's the long term solution, but he'd be a decent option to come in, right the ship, and get us back on track. 

• Like 1

I did some research because someone on Reddit felt like saying Frazier wasn't successful only due to his QB. He had AD in his prime which he rode to his 1 winning season when AD hit 2,000 yards. He had Christian Ponder at QB, but his defenses were so much worse outside of his 1 playoff season. He had a top 10 defense when he was defensive coordinator and when he was fired, they were the second worst in the league. Below are his defense's rankings in points allowed in yards. I included 2 years before he became full time HC and the year after for context. Anytime I see this, it's a clear sign they're in over their head as a head coach (pun intended) or there's a major leadership flaw (too much responsibility, poor at delegation, poor communicator, etc). Not only that, but Zimmer got the defense back in line his first season as HC.

2009: 10th points allowed, 6th yards allowed (full time defensive coordinator)

2010: 18th points allowed, 8th yards allowed (DC, interim HC last 6 games)

2011: 31st points allowed, 12th yards allowed

2012: 15th points allowed, 17th yards allowed (playoff season)

2013: 32nd points allowed, 31st yards allowed

2014: 11th points allowed, 14th yards allowed (Zimmer's 1st year as HC)

7 hours ago, ET80 said:

Gross.

Gross.

Gross.

I am not in favor of any of these guys as head coach. bringing in Caldwell as OC for a bit isn't terrible. Frazier would have to be HC and I am not in favor of that. The other guy, no. 

Look at that PFT headline. Someone is super pissed at the Texans for something, Amy firing maybe? They don't say we are going to interview him, they imply we are going to hire him.....sinking in disfunction....outrageous. 

Edited by amazingandre

Wow this organization is a mess!!   I think if we were able to pull off a combination of Frazier as HC and Caldwell as assistant HC/OC. That would be ideal for our current situation.... In saying that, I don't think we would get both and would rather have Caldwell then Frazier if it came down to a pick between the two of them. Caserio said in one of his interviews after being hired (regarding building trust within the organization) that it is important to get as many good people as we can in the building regardless of role. Both Frazier and Caldwell are outstanding character men and would be good additions to our building. Both are beloved by their players and that is what we need most right now in my opinion. Neither coach had a Deshaun Watson the last time they were HC, so I'd be happy with either guy. 

3 hours ago, OzzyTexan said:

Wow this organization is a mess!!   I think if we were able to pull off a combination of Frazier as HC and Caldwell as assistant HC/OC. That would be ideal for our current situation.... In saying that, I don't think we would get both and would rather have Caldwell then Frazier if it came down to a pick between the two of them. Caserio said in one of his interviews after being hired (regarding building trust within the organization) that it is important to get as many good people as we can in the building regardless of role. Both Frazier and Caldwell are outstanding character men and would be good additions to our building. Both are beloved by their players and that is what we need most right now in my opinion. Neither coach had a Deshaun Watson the last time they were HC, so I'd be happy with either guy. 

Frazier is already a DC on a top team so the only way we could get him over her most likely would be a promotion to HC. Teams have the ability to block lateral moves to other teams. 

• Like 1