Texans Head Coach Search

amazingandre

1 hour ago, amazingandre said:

It’s looking more and more likely that EB will be our next head coach. 

I would still be weary because of Cal/Jack - but I'd have a sliver of hope with Caserio/EB. They can get the Texans back to square one, and that starts with #4.

Next few days will be very interesting.

7 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

The only thing EB brings to the table is the possibility of helping us keep Watson. He’s the classic coordinator who gets credit for a great head coach’s system. We 

I think you're underestimating Bienemy.

https://clutchpoints.com/chiefs-news-andy-reid-speaks-out-on-eric-bieniemy-still-not-having-a-head-coaching-job/

Andy Reid isn't someone who throws out praise for nothing - and he can't stop saying good things about Bienemy.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/01/11/patrick-mahomes-people-are-crazy-if-eric-bieniemy-doesnt-get-a-head-coaching-job/

Pat Mahomes has been very much on record about Bienemy ready to lead a team.

Bienemy is very much like a Mike Vrabel hire; He's not there for the Xs and Os, he's there for the Jimmy and Joe's. He's here to get the team focused in one direction, to rally the 53 and get the right atmosphere in place. The coordinators will manage the gameplans, Bienemy will give them the vision and put in his personality to get it going.

That's what we need. Guys who can do fancy stuff on the whiteboard are nice, but it's not what's needed - you gotta go deeper than that, and that's what Bienemy can provide.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I think you're underestimating Bienemy.

https://clutchpoints.com/chiefs-news-andy-reid-speaks-out-on-eric-bieniemy-still-not-having-a-head-coaching-job/

Andy Reid isn't someone who throws out praise for nothing - and he can't stop saying good things about Bienemy.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/01/11/patrick-mahomes-people-are-crazy-if-eric-bieniemy-doesnt-get-a-head-coaching-job/

Pat Mahomes has been very much on record about Bienemy ready to lead a team.

Bienemy is very much like a Mike Vrabel hire; He's not there for the Xs and Os, he's there for the Jimmy and Joe's. He's here to get the team focused in one direction, to rally the 53 and get the right atmosphere in place. The coordinators will manage the gameplans, Bienemy will give them the vision and put in his personality to get it going.

That's what we need. Guys who can do fancy stuff on the whiteboard are nice, but it's not what's needed - you gotta go deeper than that, and that's what Bienemy can provide.

You don’t hire an OC who isn’t there for the Xs and Os. There’s a reason the dude is 50 and hasn’t been a commodity in his career. 

20 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

There’s a reason the dude is 50 and hasn’t been a commodity in his career. 

Would you say that about Tony Dungy? Because that was the narrative with him prior to his first HC gig:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/columnist/mike-freeman/2021/01/13/tony-dungy-criticizes-narrative-black-coaches-interview-poorly/6625010002/

I think pretty much every single franchise would wish for a Dungy running their team - but he had the same "doesn't interview well" tag following him around.

How'd that work out?

"EB doesnt like that they’ve prioritized “men of god” over football players"

This sounds so anti-Jack Easterby that he's gone from my #1 choice to really the only one. That he's our best chance to keep Deshaun is also a big point.

As for the accusation that Bieniemy is a benefactor of Reid's success, I think a lot of people forget that he was also the running backs coach for the Vikings during Adrian Peterson's first four years in the league. He might not have been there for his 2012 MVP campaign, but between 2007-2010, Peterson under Bieniemy had 1,198 attempts for 5,782 yards and 52 rushing TDs. Add in their 3 playoff games during that frame and you get another 268 yards and 5 TDs to the mix. He also had another 1,170 yards recieving on 119 receptions, plus 2 more TDs during that time frame. Outside of 2012 and 2015, Peterson's best years were all with Bieniemy as his position coach.

And yeah, sure. You could just say that he's lucky in getting such talents as Peterson and Mahomes, but at the same time he got both of those as rookies - so he has to get some of the credit for turning into the monsters they came to be, otherwise, why bother having coaches at all? At the very least, he's very good at maximizing the talents he given and that's got to be one of the highest priorities you could ever want in a coach. Especially if you can keep Deshaun Watson on the team.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, ET80 said:

Would you say that about Tony Dungy? Because that was the narrative with him prior to his first HC gig:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/columnist/mike-freeman/2021/01/13/tony-dungy-criticizes-narrative-black-coaches-interview-poorly/6625010002/

I think pretty much every single franchise would wish for a Dungy running their team - but he had the same "doesn't interview well" tag following him around.

How'd that work out?

Dungy was a lot younger than EB when he got a HC job. He also wasn’t an OC under a head coach that designs the system and calls the plays. 

5 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

He also wasn’t an OC under a head coach that designs the system and calls the plays. 

Andy Reid flat out says Bieniemy designs the playbook and is in on playcalling. Listen to the actual audio, he goes into how the design and philosophy is Bieniemy's design and philosophy. 

You need to update your sources of you're still peddling that narrative - because the man himself is saying otherwise.

8 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

Dungy was a lot younger than EB when he got a HC job. 

He was still passed over multiple hiring cycles - much like Bieniemy was. The reason? Doesn't interview well - much like Bieniemy is told. If that's not apples to apples, I don't know what you're seeing or reading, but you need to share something outside of your own opinion.

Both Dungy and Reid vehemently disagree with you on both of your points - and I'll lean into their opinions over yours in this particular matter, if you don't mind.

On this subject, I've heard nothing but complaining from you - what's your solution? I still have yet to hear how you want this to play out.

29 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

For a good coach, he sure does have a bunch of people in Kansas City who want to see him gone 

The logic on this is hysterically bad. By this logic, McVay wanted to get rid of Staley, Shanahan wanted to get rid of Selah, McDermott wants to get rid of Frazier, Rhule wants to get rid of Brady... Am I missing anyone?

We get it, you don't like him... for whatever reason. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

The logic on this is hysterically bad. By this logic, McVay wanted to get rid of Staley, Shanahan wanted to get rid of Selah, McDermott wants to get rid of Frazier, Rhule wants to get rid of Brady... Am I missing anyone?

We get it, you don't like him... for whatever reason. 

I thought I was very clear on why I don’t like him. 

he’s inexperienced and he’s 50. If I’m gonna hire an inexperienced coach, I’m gonna grab a young guy, not a guy who has been around forever without landing a HC job or really even being in consideration for one. He got some love last year but seriously when has he been a candidate for a HC position before? 

We literally just went through a terrible hire with very little upside. We took a guy set in his ways and it blew up. Give me an experienced guy or give me a young guy any day.