Texans Head Coach Search

amazingandre

4 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I'm mostly thinking continuity between Bienemy and Nagy as the selling point. Bienemy has a vision, but as a HC - he needs to be focused on the entire team, not just "his side of the ball" (We learned this with the last HC - he who shall not be mentioned by name).

Nagy is a natural bridge to this - they both shared similar concepts (if not identical) when Nagy was the OC and Bienemy was his RB Coach. Nagy provides latitude to Bienemy - Bienemy can focus on the team, knowing that Nagy isn't needing much hand holding to stick to the plan, so to speak.

There's also the experience factor. Bienemy will be a first time HC, so having a trusted advisor who can help with the growing pains of transitioning from a coordinator role to a HC would be great overall. Sure, Nagy has a "spotty" record (it's actually pretty good, all things considered) but that experience is valuable to a first time guy.

Think of it as such - Bienemy would be like Tua Tagovailoa and Nagy would be his Fitzpatrick; A veteran seat warmer who can help the transition from coordinator to coach.

Fair enough.  His overall record is actually really good since coming here, but that’s almost all due to the defenses of Fangio and Pagano.  I personally don’t feel that Nagy has accomplished what he was supposed to do with the offense when he was hired here.  Ultimately the team is winning and they players love him (at least it appears), so it’s not like We’re talking about offensive genius/QB guru Mark Trestman or Adam Gase here.  I would just be cautious handing him the keys to run an offense after seeing his work in Chicago these past few years.

All that being said, barring a catastrophic collapse to end the season, i see no way Nagy is fired this year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tab said:

I like Bienemy but Saleh is rising for me if we want to go for a Defensive minded guy

He's in my top 3, behind Bienemy and Michigan HC Jim Harbaugh. Harbaugh is on the last year of his deal, so any sort of buyout would be at its lowest...

Harbaugh took a bad SF team and completely turned the culture around, and created an offense that Colin Kaepernick was able to thrive in, taking the 49ers to the NFCCG three consecutive years. He would be able to do big things with Deshaun Watson.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, tab said:

I like Bienemy but Saleh is rising for me if we want to go for a Defensive minded guy

We need to stop thinking about picking head coaches based on offense or defense (and by we I mean everyone not just the Texans). It should be clear at this point that the background of the HC is fairly irrelevant to their ability to succeed. HC don't need to be Xs and Os guys. They need to be more cheer leaders. Vrabel was terrible as a DC but a great HC. Harbaugh came from Special Teams. And it should be obvious that HCs with an offensive background don't have a defensive background to lean on and vice versa, yet that doesn't mean that side will suck. Hell Brian Billick was an offensive genius couldn't do anything with the Ravens offense but the defense was all time great.

A HC needs to be able to motivate (which is ridiculous because players should be able to motivate themselves but too many are overgrown babies), manage player emotions, have a feel for game management. Having in depth knowledge of offense or defense isn't necessary. That is for the coordinators and position coaches.

• Like 3

i agree but i dont really have much access to how coaches handle themselves and players behind closed doors so all i can do is speculate on what kind of offense/defense i want to copy paste into the team from another team 

Joe Brady coming up as a hot name. I don't think he'll ever be available again. Dude did a complete lateral from college to the NFL so easily and effortlessly, he's playing with NFL defenses right now. A team like the Panthers which was so ready to tank for its next star QB and go into a deep rebuilding might be .500 by the end of the year lol.

He's super creative too.

like mse said though, it doesn't really matter, what matters is how the players connect to him, I like his creativity though and I feel like he would hire an OC just as creative and scheme an offense around it, the fear is obviously neglecting the defense, like what Bill did.

On 10/28/2020 at 2:12 PM, CBears019 said:

Just curious, what have you seen from Nagys Bears that would make you want him to be your OC?  He appears to be a great motivator and his players will run through a wall for him.  But he was hired to bring the Bears into the 21st century as far as offense goes, but the offense has simply been putrid and his play calling has been horrible.   Here’s some stats about the bears that another bears poster compiled to really illustrate this.  His personnel is pretty bad so it’s not ALL his fault, but it’s still bad.

I don't want Nagy as our playcaller.

I'd rather we pull a college OC up.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Texansfan713 said:

Everyones thoughts on Joe Brady?  I have him at the top with Bienemy.  What he doing with the Panthers this season is pretty dang good.  He wont be an OC for long.

Idk about a 1 year college coordinator with 1 year ad a coordinator in the nfl  but his 1 year in college literally could have been better. 

Cal McNair was on Texans radio today - he mentioned Korn Ferry as the search firm looking for the GM/HC combo. He also mentioned how he's creating a Search panel - several people who are not associated with the Texans, along with a few former players (I'd imagine Andre Johnson is one of the few; I would wonder if Brian Cushing would be asked to join, given that he's a coach).

When the Texans hired Gary Kubiak, Dan Reeves was brought in to evaluate the entire roster and then make his recommendations, which include Kubiak. With Billy McButtchin, it was Korn Ferry giving the blessings.

Looks like we're going to combine those two efforts to find our new HC/GM.

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

Cal McNair was on Texans radio today - he mentioned Korn Ferry as the search firm looking for the GM/HC combo. He also mentioned how he's creating a Search panel - several people who are not associated with the Texans, along with a few former players (I'd imagine Andre Johnson is one of the few; I would wonder if Brian Cushing would be asked to join, given that he's a coach).

When the Texans hired Gary Kubiak, Dan Reeves was brought in to evaluate the entire roster and then make his recommendations, which include Kubiak. With Billy McButtchin, it was Korn Ferry giving the blessings.

Looks like we're going to combine those two efforts to find our new HC/GM.

not sure how i feel about this.