Texans Head Coach Search

amazingandre

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

@Texansfan713 - I'm warming up to Joe Brady. I don't know how his interpersonal skills are, but he apparently impresses everyone he meets, is a good leader of men. He's also a football savant, which is an added bonus.

yeah im liking what im seeing as well. Bridgewater is having a pretty decent year.  I can imagine what he could do with a QB like Watson. 

1 hour ago, amazingandre said:

If Zimmer gets fired and we go offense for HC, I would take Zimmer as DC

Zimmer or Dan Quinn are my two options for DC. A dark horse for DC would be good ol' Son of Bum, Wade Phillips. (He knows how to get a 34 going).

1 hour ago, amazingandre said:

What does everyone think of Dennis Allen, DC for the Saints? He is a retread I would consider. His first stint in Oakland was destined to fail. He’s had the Saints defense playing well for years now. 

I'm not sure on retreads - would prefer new blood.

21 hours ago, ET80 said:

Zimmer or Dan Quinn are my two options for DC. A dark horse for DC would be good ol' Son of Bum, Wade Phillips. (He knows how to get a 34 going).

I'm not sure on retreads - would prefer new blood.

I get it, but historically retreads fair better compared to first time HC’s. 

Here is how I feel better about our situation. let's pretend we are the worst team in football. We have fired our head coach, and we have the 1st pick in rounds 1 and 2. In round 1 we take the franchise QB. In Round 2 we take the franchise LT......now we are at round 3......suddenly it feels like we headed to a bright place!

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

Here is how I feel better about our situation. let's pretend we are the worst team in football. We have fired our head coach, and we have the 1st pick in rounds 1 and 2. In round 1 we take the franchise QB. In Round 2 we take the franchise LT......now we are at round 3......suddenly it feels like we headed to a bright place!

Agreed 200%. A few more additions:

- The Texans have eight picks next draft. None are premium picks, but there's plenty of opportunity to get roster improvements. You're probably not finding a #1 CB, but a NT? A RB? A rotational pass rusher? Good cover LBs? You can find those, and those are priorities for this team.

- People are starting to take notice... Will Fuller and Brandin Cooks are REALLY good. Your franchise QB has two better targets to work with, and that's not including Jordan Akins or Randall Cobb. Could another WR help? Yeah, absolutely. But if nobody is really there, you're not in BAD condition.

- Despite the current execution, there's solid talent to work with on Defense; Outside of a few secondary spots, it isn't like the Texans are playing with replacement level guys that are costing you wins. Charles Omenihu, Ross Blacklock, Zach Cunningham, Jacob Martin, Bradley Roby, Justin Reid - they're very good players, potentially great players with a coach who can actually do the job. Sure, none of these guys have Pro Bowl/All Pro potential (Zach and Reid might) but it's not as if any team has Pro Bowl/All Pro at all 22 spots, every team has their own Ominehu or Martin, blue collar guys who enhance the Watson, Watt types.

So yeah - the story of the death of the Texans is a bit overstated. Bill O'Brien put this team behind for a short amount of time, but it's not as if this can't be turned around (quickly) with the right leadership.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, ET80 said:

Agreed 200%. A few more additions:

- The Texans have eight picks next draft. None are premium picks, but there's plenty of opportunity to get roster improvements. You're probably not finding a #1 CB, but a NT? A RB? A rotational pass rusher? Good cover LBs? You can find those, and those are priorities for this team.

- People are starting to take notice... Will Fuller and Brandin Cooks are REALLY good. Your franchise QB has two better targets to work with, and that's not including Jordan Akins or Randall Cobb. Could another WR help? Yeah, absolutely. But if nobody is really there, you're not in BAD condition.

- Despite the current execution, there's solid talent to work with on Defense; Outside of a few secondary spots, it isn't like the Texans are playing with replacement level guys that are costing you wins. Charles Omenihu, Ross Blacklock, Zach Cunningham, Jacob Martin, Bradley Roby, Justin Reid - they're very good players, potentially great players with a coach who can actually do the job. Sure, none of these guys have Pro Bowl/All Pro potential (Zach and Reid might) but it's not as if any team has Pro Bowl/All Pro at all 22 spots, every team has their own Ominehu or Martin, blue collar guys who enhance the Watson, Watt types.

So yeah - the story of the death of the Texans is a bit overstated. Bill O'Brien put this team behind for a short amount of time, but it's not as if this can't be turned around (quickly) with the right leadership.

Bingo! 

The majority of the problem stemmed from the HC and coaching staff not ever having the team prepared. Whatever it was, but man the scheme, execution, just everything sucks.

On 11/9/2020 at 8:36 PM, Pastor Dillon said:

Just really really wish we got Fitzpatrick instead of Stills or Pat Pete instead of DJ. Billy O is an offensive minded coach I know but he just doesnt understand having a shootout every game isnt a good thing lol

1 hour ago, Texansfan713 said:

That would be so freaking stupid if they did that.

I'm certain that this is just speculation. Cal has said - on multiple occasions - that the GM is making this decision. I'm pretty sure that GM has yet to be hired.

So, any name - Bienemy, Brady, Harbaugh, Romeo, McDaniels - is premature until the GM is in place.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ET80 said:

I'm certain that this is just speculation. Cal has said - on multiple occasions - that the GM is making this decision. I'm pretty sure that GM has yet to be hired.

So, any name - Bienemy, Brady, Harbaugh, Romeo, McDaniels - is premature until the GM is in place.

No one is gonna hire RAC when we go 3-13 on the season 

• Like 1

On 11/10/2020 at 10:31 AM, lumberjackchris said:

Bingo! 

The majority of the problem stemmed from the HC and coaching staff not ever having the team prepared. Whatever it was, but man the scheme, execution, just everything sucks.

To piggy back off of this, the Texans with Bill O'Brien were a bit of a house of cards. We had major flaws on both sides of the ball (secondary, running game) and a coach who was average at best that was all masked by a damn good QB who found a way to win. The good news is that we have some pieces so it's not a total rebuild. Next year is going to be tough because we'll have to make some cap moves, but the following year, we'll be primed to make a big jump. That's why I want a top OC like Bienemy paired with a DC that failed as a HC similar to Kliff in Arizona. Let's lean heavy into our obvious strength and try to out-score everyone until we figure out the defense part.