Texans Head Coach Search

amazingandre

2 hours ago, amazingandre said:

Being reported that Brian S OC from Seattle and EB from KC are the leading head coach candidates

Very much don't want the Seattle OC, uplifted by Russ, thats all.

It's Saleh, Eberflus, Brady or EB for me. I think we go EB and if we do, that shows how dedicated Cal is considering EB's past

There are some light whispers that Mike Zimmer might be let go at the end of the season.

Given what his teams looked like in Minnesota, I'm taking a hard look at him as a future HC. He's never had a good QB situation, but he's built up some really sound offenses along with some really good defenses (specifically in the secondary) and created some contenders for the Vikings. If he wasn't anchored down by guys like Bradford, Keenum and Cousins at QB, he might have a SB by now.

If Bienemy or Selah go to LAC and Detroit (respectively) then I'd consider Zimmer ahead of Joe Brady.

@amazingandre - I remember back in the day (maybe mid-Kubiak era) you were high on Zimmer, back when he was DC for Cincinnati. Your thoughts if he became available?

3 hours ago, ET80 said:

There are some light whispers that Mike Zimmer might be let go at the end of the season.

Given what his teams looked like in Minnesota, I'm taking a hard look at him as a future HC. He's never had a good QB situation, but he's built up some really sound offenses along with some really good defenses (specifically in the secondary) and created some contenders for the Vikings. If he wasn't anchored down by guys like Bradford, Keenum and Cousins at QB, he might have a SB by now.

If Bienemy or Selah go to LAC and Detroit (respectively) then I'd consider Zimmer ahead of Joe Brady.

@amazingandre - I remember back in the day (maybe mid-Kubiak era) you were high on Zimmer, back when he was DC for Cincinnati. Your thoughts if he became available?

I would definitely hire him. Pairing him with a solid GM would be key. 

I would at a minimum snag him as DC

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Texansfan713 said:

I'm going to lose it if we end up hiring Caldwell.

To be fair, they really can't interview the guys everyone is expecting - all are still coaching, and Bienemy will be looking at a long playoff run in there too. 

The real action is going to begin after the Super Bowl.

Thinking about this a little more, and as much as I don’t want Caldwell as HC, are the Texans really in position to grab one of the top candidates? This organization has been hit hard over the past two years, showcasing it as completely dysfunctional. The team’s reputation is clearly poor amongst the league, so I’m not exactly going to get my hopes up in thinking that they will be able to lure EB or another one of the top candidates out there.

Having Watson will of course help, but is he enough of a positive to cancel out all of the negatives? Potentially, but the fact that it is even a question shows how many negatives this organization has.

Maybe I’m being overly pessimistic, but I don’t know if they’ll have their pick of the litter. So while Caldwell would be an extremely uninspiring hire, they could do a lot worse than a coach who has made the playoffs in 4/7 years he was a head coach and only had a losing record in two seasons (one of them being a clear tank job for Luck).

50 minutes ago, ET80 said:

To be fair, they really can't interview the guys everyone is expecting - all are still coaching, and Bienemy will be looking at a long playoff run in there too. 

The real action is going to begin after the Super Bowl.

I really hope they get the 1st round bye so we can interview him on the bye week. Hopefully we have him ready to go by SB weekend like the 49ers and Shanahan. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Marco79 said:

Wouldn’t be surprised to see Caldwell end up somewhere on the staff serving a first time head coach as a mentor, but he won’t get the job. He’s really close with Dungy so it’s not surprising to see them kick the tires on him.

I've already stated my desire that Caldwell be involved as a mentor / offensive guide to EB... but the cynic in me says that this was partly to comply with expanded Rooney Rule