Malfatron

winner  

26 members have voted

1. 1. winner

• chargers
    • saints
    • tie

16 minutes ago, Kael said:

Justin Herbert deserves better. At this rate he is going to develop the "River's complex" in that he, in his head, will simply know, without a doubt that it is up to him, and him alone if the Chargers are going to win any games. And that is not good.

So Lynn was right about starting Tyrod over him this year lol.

3 minutes ago, JAF-N72EX said:

I think what your missing the point on is that when people say his 'arm is shot' is not saying that he still can't make those short/intermediate throws.

Only that he can't make those deep throws on a consistence basis like he used to.  

I think you are missing the point. His arm has been like this for about 3 years. It hasn't been an issue. Generally when I think of someone's "arm is shot" they lose velocity AND can't accurately get the ball where it needs to be, but that isn't the case for Brees. He is still getting the ball where it needs to go. Maybe we have different definitions of "arm is shot" I'll gladly take my definition any day as the deep ball doesn't matter much in this offense as has been shown for several years.

6 minutes ago, JAF-N72EX said:

Then what exactly are you arguing then? You started disagreeing with the notion that Brees' arm is shot but now you're agreeing with it? 

He doesn't have a strong arm, but throws an accurate ball. Disagree in definition of shot arm. I don't think an arm is shot if you are throwing accurate balls in the short/intermediate game and still have the velocity to get it there. It's like watching Greg Maddux late in his career. He wasn't bring the 90+ MPH heat, but still could paint the corners with enough arm to be effective

6 minutes ago, JAF-N72EX said:

If you're saying the offense can still work despite Brees' faults, then fine, but I don't think anyone is arguing that point. Atleast I'm not. 

I think we are on the same page here. That said, I know not everyone else feels that way in conversations on here, which is why I contest it so much.

Losing this game isn't what hurts the most. It's the way we lost, which has become something of a norm for this franchise. 1-4 and going no where. Hopefully this game was the nail in the coffin for both Anthony Lynn and Gus Bradley's careers. Michael Badgley better join Saints because I never want to see him in Charger uniform again.

1 hour ago, Xenos said:

So Lynn was right about starting Tyrod over him this year lol.

I never said that.

But when Lynn says he feels he needs to protect his young QB? There might be something to that.

Now don't get me wrong, I am a Chargers fan, I have been my whole life, since before my family moved from the Owen's Valley to San Diego.

Starting Herbert over Tyrod is a no brainer. Herbert is electrifying, almost must watch TV. He is far away better than I thought he would be at this point. I personally thought that after a year or two of sitting and learning he would develop into a decent starting QB. I was wrong. If he continues to progress as a QB, and I have to stress "if" he will be something special.

But until he learns that he can depend on the rest of the team, or the defense to protect a multiple lead score, which at this point they have proven they can not. He will start to believe that it is all on him. The same thing Rivers came to believe. I would rather Herbert not go down that route. 

The Chargers are decimated by injuries. The fact that regardless of who they play, they are competitive is a testament to their character.

Edited by Kael
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

The Chargers ability to lose close games is incredible.

I mean, it shouldn't surprise too much considering their ownership had a massive infatuation with "playing it safe" and being risk-averse.  That's top-down trickle that can permeate an entire organization pretty easily.  It's there are the coaching level (for the past 2 decades of head coaches), the front office level (the last 2 GM's), and so on.  The Spanoses just plain aren't adventurous owners, so I really have trouble seeing it change unless the team just lucks into a savant assistant and has the wherewithal to promote them up to the top of the chain before he's lured away by another more savvy franchise.

Who the hell was calling plays for the Chargers? You've got a young QB absolutely slinging it out there, and you keep running the ball on 1st down with absolutely no benefit whatsoever.

18 runs on 1st down for 20 yards. That is why you lost the game (that and a 50 yard FG miss).

"We're trying to look after our QB by running the ball" - putting him in 2nd and 10 / 3rd and 10 is what is getting the guy KILLED. Jesus, man. I am a Broncos fan and I found myself screaming at my laptop this morning watching it. Atrocious.

Like, how many of those 1 yard runs up the gut would it have taken for the guy calling plays to think, "hmmm this really isn't working, is it?" And why isn't Lynn getting in his grill and telling him?

Edited by lomaxgrUK
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, Bearerofnews said:

3 losses this year, when having double digit leads. Not even Falcons can do that. We moved from San Diego so why is this curse still following. Who do we need to sacrifice to lift the curse..

It'll get better soon my friend. I know the losses suck but Herbert has gone toe to toe with Patrick Mahomes, Tom Brady, and Drew Brees in 3 of his first 4 NFL starts and he's only going to get better. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lomaxgrUK said:

Like, how many of those 1 yard runs up the gut would it have taken for the guy calling plays to think, "hmmm this really isn't working, is it?" And why isn't Lynn getting in his grill and telling him?

Lynn isn't getting in his grill because Lynn himself wants the Chargers to be a run first, ball control offense. It just so happens that the fates decided that will never be the case. That has been the case since Lynn took over as HC.

Lynn's first year as HC started well lets just say...not good. Until he took the leash off Rivers and gave up the run first game plan. They ended 9-7. His second year ended 12-4 with a wild card playoff victory with Rivers leading the way. Plus, both of those season the Chargers were more healthy than they normally are.

Jump forward to today. The Chargers are missing three starting offensive lineman, and their best running back, Austin Ekeler. But regardless of that, Lynn's game plan is still run first, no matter how well Herbert is playing. At some point the leash will have to come off. But because of injury or who he inherited, what Anthony Lynn wants to run as his offense is not going to be. He needs to stop waiting until its too late when it comes to embracing what he actually has.

8 hours ago, Starless said:

Has any team historically been as screwed over by bad special teams as the Chargers?

Don't think it's necessarily "screwed" when the FO fires the only decent ST coach we've had in decades. ST was never and isn't a priority for the ownership, and FO guys they hire. 

We have an inability to retain coaching talent that is on the level of sabotage. And I don't mean convincing people to stay, I mean firing people who have clearly done good jobs. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, iknowcool said:

Just fire Anthony Lynn.  How do you keep losing these games?

Maybe I'm being harsh but I put him in the same tier as Quinn and maybe Gase. Just clueless. No way LAC should lose as many games as they do with the talent they have (injuries an all). I don't get him at all.