winner  

26 members have voted

1. 1. winner

• chargers
    • saints
    • tie

8 hours ago, Kael said:

I never said that.

But when Lynn says he feels he needs to protect his young QB? There might be something to that.

Now don't get me wrong, I am a Chargers fan, I have been my whole life, since before my family moved from the Owen's Valley to San Diego.

Starting Herbert over Tyrod is a no brainer. Herbert is electrifying, almost must watch TV. He is far away better than I thought he would be at this point. I personally thought that after a year or two of sitting and learning he would develop into a decent starting QB. I was wrong. If he continues to progress as a QB, and I have to stress "if" he will be something special.

But until he learns that he can depend on the rest of the team, or the defense to protect a multiple lead score, which at this point they have proven they can not. He will start to believe that it is all on him. The same thing Rivers came to believe. I would rather Herbert not go down that route. 

The Chargers are decimated by injuries. The fact that regardless of who they play, they are competitive is a testament to their character.

I was being facetious lol. But I agree with you. I like Lynn and hate having Herbert going through a coaching change like he did in college. But we need to clean house this offseason unless there’s a big turnaround. We need to find the right GM and HC for this kid for the long haul. And we need to implement a sports science department to help with the injuries. Though I suspect it’ll be as useful as the Niners. But whatever needs to be done to make sure Herbert is protected. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kramxel said:

Don't think it's necessarily "screwed" when the FO fires the only decent ST coach we've had in decades. ST was never and isn't a priority for the ownership, and FO guys they hire. 

We have an inability to retain coaching talent that is on the level of sabotage. And I don't mean convincing people to stay, I mean firing people who have clearly done good jobs. 

The FO didn’t fire anyone. That was a McCoy decision. Same thing with our OL D’Alessandra at the time.

3 minutes ago, Xenos said:

But whatever needs to be done to make sure Herbert is protected. 

Hiring James Campen as OL coach is a great start-  now just give him a little more talent ( uninjured talent) to work with and the OL should be fine
Regime change may change that though

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Kael said:

Lynn isn't getting in his grill because Lynn himself wants the Chargers to be a run first, ball control offense. It just so happens that the fates decided that will never be the case. That has been the case since Lynn took over as HC.

Lynn's first year as HC started well lets just say...not good. Until he took the leash off Rivers and gave up the run first game plan. They ended 9-7. His second year ended 12-4 with a wild card playoff victory with Rivers leading the way. Plus, both of those season the Chargers were more healthy than they normally are.

Jump forward to today. The Chargers are missing three starting offensive lineman, and their best running back, Austin Ekeler. But regardless of that, Lynn's game plan is still run first, no matter how well Herbert is playing. At some point the leash will have to come off. But because of injury or who he inherited, what Anthony Lynn wants to run as his offense is not going to be. He needs to stop waiting until its too late when it comes to embracing what he actually has.

To be fair, we lost the early games in 2017 because we didn’t have a kicker and because Rivers had a turnover problem at the beginning. It was part of the mentality that Lynn tried to instill in him, which was to protect the ball and lean on the running game. It’s why they finish strong in 2017 and did what they did in 2018.

Edited by Xenos

1 hour ago, Shanedorf said:

Hiring James Campen as OL coach is a great start-  now just give him a little more talent ( uninjured talent) to work with and the OL should be fine
Regime change may change that though

Hoping the new regime sees his value. But it never ends well when we force a coach on a new regime (Pagani, Whis etc.)

40 minutes ago, FrantikRam said:

Hate it when missed FGs let a team win. Chargers offense and defense played well enough to win that game. Sucks that it comes down to special teams, especially when it's an indoor kick.

It does suck, but it’s part of it.  We used to lose a lot of games over bad special teams.

1 hour ago, Xenos said:

Hoping the new regime sees his value. But it never ends well when we force a coach on a new regime (Pagani, Whis etc.)

Sometimes you have to clean house, other times you can keep the good, toss the rest. One of the biggest challenges comes on the loyalty side.
IF the OC or OL coach are loyal to Lynn, then they might undermine the new guy so they have to be replaced. The in-house politics sometimes matter more than being a good coach. Campen wasn't retained in GB because he had deep roots with Mike McCarthy, so he had to go with La Fleur came on board. In the case of Campen and Lynn, they've only been together a short time so he likely wouldn't be labeled as a sympathizer with the previous regime.
Good luck either way

• Like 1

I dont think getting rid of Lynn or Talesco is smart. I think better coordinators is a good start. It says alot about a coach to be in almost every game, with the amount of injuries the Chargers suffer. Also just dumb turnovers. I think Lynn and TT are not the problem. I think its some of the other staff.

Chargers in 2017 start 0-4 due to horrible ST play. Then finish 9-3 with the 3 losses being on the road to the 2 teams in the AFCC and the Chiefs.

2018 they go 12-4.

Last year was alot of close losses and that was due to being the worst turnover team in the league on both sides. We turned it over a bunch and didnt force. 

This year again close losses while understaffed, in 3 games we had double digit leads as some point. 

TT is getting talent. Hard to blame him for injuries and Lynn is right there. Let's see how this seasons plays out. Chargers should be getting back a bunch of players soon.