Star Wars Battlefront II

JBURGE

No thread? 

Has anyone gotten the beta yet? Open beta starts tomorrow and the closed started yesterday. I played one space battle last night and it was awesome.... super hard to control for the first minute or two but once you get the hang of it it feels really good. Graphics look great, combat feels awesome. Game seems to be really filled with content.

Discuss

PSN ShiiNyIV

7 hours ago, kingseanjohn said:

The first one really left me with a bad taste. I don't think I'll be getting this one because of it.

I refuse to get this game when it first comes out because of it. I've played the beta and it does seem like a big improvement but I'm not making the same mistake. I'm also just not very good at this game. I'm good at Battlefield 1 (same company) but just suck at these games, I don't know what it is, I just can't hit anything with these weapons. 

The graphics and space battles are pretty damn awesome in the demo though. 

9 minutes ago, Crickett said:

I'm not a dolphin or a whale, so I have no interest in this game. 

I'm so tired of hearing this. It's the same thing they did with Mass Effect and really isn't a major advantage. This isn't a crazy new system and you can absolutely play the game without needing to buy crates. They've made some changes to the system and it really doesn't seem like a big issue. 

37 minutes ago, LeeEvans said:

I'm so tired of hearing this. It's the same thing they did with Mass Effect and really isn't a major advantage. This isn't a crazy new system and you can absolutely play the game without needing to buy crates. They've made some changes to the system and it really doesn't seem like a big issue. 

Yeah, I'm the very last person you want to make that argument with.

You didn't unlock invincibility in Mass Effect.  The loot boxes in Mass Effect were not pay to win.  You could progress in Mass Effect without spending real money. They was barely even an advantage at all to buying packs with real money in ME3 unless you dropped enough money to buy hundreds upon hundreds of packs.  I know this, because I've seen what you get when you buy dozens or even hundreds of premium spectre, arsenal and reserve packs (not with real money).  I used to save up 5 or 10 or 20 million in game credits and blow them all on packs at one time. For the first year, you would get a far bigger advantage just playing a few games on the weekends (http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Mass_Effect_3_Multiplayer/Weekend_Challenges - at the time, this was the only way to unlock the N7 Hurricane, which was/is certainly top three or four in terms of fully auto weapons in Mass Effect) and by the time support for the game was ended, the starting adept had been buffed to being one of the strongest offensive characters in the multiplayer game.  I know from my own experience you can take a team of three biotics (especially the human adept and asari justicar) and a Geth Juggernaut into a platinum Rio, platinum Glacier or platinum Giant/Hazard Giant game and you'd have credits for days as long as the juggernaut knows what he is doing.   

No, this isn't a crazy new system.  This is the slippery slope we were warned about when the system was first implemented years ago.  With Mass Effect, if you bought those packs with real money, in truth you were wasting your money for something that likely wouldn't provide minimal if any advantage.  I dread to think what people must of thought spending $3.00 buying a premium spectre pack and unlocked a Geth Super Soaker Pulse Rifle.  Nearly a decade later and we're in full blown compelled pay to advance/pay to win territory. 

1 hour ago, Crickett said:

Yeah, I'm the very last person you want to make that argument with.

You didn't unlock invincibility in Mass Effect.  The loot boxes in Mass Effect were not pay to win.  You could progress in Mass Effect without spending real money. They was barely even an advantage at all to buying packs with real money in ME3 unless you dropped enough money to buy hundreds upon hundreds of packs.  I know this, because I've seen what you get when you buy dozens or even hundreds of premium spectre, arsenal and reserve packs (not with real money).  I used to save up 5 or 10 or 20 million in game credits and blow them all on packs at one time. For the first year, you would get a far bigger advantage just playing a few games on the weekends (http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Mass_Effect_3_Multiplayer/Weekend_Challenges - at the time, this was the only way to unlock the N7 Hurricane, which was/is certainly top three or four in terms of fully auto weapons in Mass Effect) and by the time support for the game was ended, the starting adept had been buffed to being one of the strongest offensive characters in the multiplayer game.  I know from my own experience you can take a team of three biotics (especially the human adept and asari justicar) and a Geth Juggernaut into a platinum Rio, platinum Glacier or platinum Giant/Hazard Giant game and you'd have credits for days as long as the juggernaut knows what he is doing.   

No, this isn't a crazy new system.  This is the slippery slope we were warned about when the system was first implemented years ago.  With Mass Effect, if you bought those packs with real money, in truth you were wasting your money for something that likely wouldn't provide minimal if any advantage.  I dread to think what people must of thought spending $3.00 buying a premium spectre pack and unlocked a Geth Super Soaker Pulse Rifle.  Nearly a decade later and we're in full blown compelled pay to advance/pay to win territory. 

I was referring to Mass Effect Andromeda where you could only unlock and power up weapons and characters by opening packs. I don't really see how this is different and I don't think buying extra crates gifts you a massive advantage, certainly not long term. You can still open crates based by completing games and challenges. I'm just not getting the major uproar over this, I don't want to spend any extra money and so I won't. I don't see how this is something game breaking or a deal breaker. I don't like the concept myself but I don't feel like this is anywhere near pay to win territory. 

• 4 weeks later...

Played the game on early access. It's not bad, I'm not having a huge amount of fun. The levels are pretty, but can be huge. You can spawn, run and then just die quickly. 

Also the moronic loot crate system can go do one. EA sucks so hard. I wish people would stop apologizing for these people. 

5 hours ago, sunnygsm said:

Also the moronic loot crate system can go do one. EA sucks so hard. I wish people would stop apologizing for these people. 

Exactly.

People think Im a Madden hater. but Im not at all.  I am an EA hater, and for legit reasons.  They dont care about making great games.    They care about lining their pockets by taking blatant advantage of exclusive licenses to popular brands and IPs that they know the name alone will sell the products for them (NFL, Star Wars, Harry Potter, Mass Effect, etc...).   Many will argue that every game company is about money and greed, and while that might be true to a point, you see alot more care and love go into games from other studios..   Look at Naughty Dog and Rockstar.    Even if the greed is there, they obviously care about their games as well.     EA does not.    They just want your money,, and they have to lean on the popularity of these franchises rather than the quality of their product.        Granted, EA doesnt usually release anything that is pure garbage (as critical as I am about Madden, its not usually terrible, just mediocre and hasnt notably improved in over a decade), but there is obviously no extra love or passion that goes into any of their games.    They make a game decent, stuff it with DLC and microtransactions, and people foolishly run out and throw money at them.....mainly because, as I said, their sales are boosted by the names of their more popular IPs. 

57 minutes ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

This is what video games are going to become the more expensive budgets get to be. People are going to try and create ways to monetize well beyond point of sale. It sucks, but that's jus the way it is.

The fact we accept it is a big part of them problem. People paying for micro-transactions are just as big as part of the problem as the people who put those in the game.

I don't totally hate microtransactions but for the most part they're a pretty easy way to ruin a game and more often than not.

EA is probably the king of micro-transactions, DLC etc. But nothing comes close to the mobile market and their straight up gambling nonsense.... 

Also I'm glad we're actually getting a good game with a story from EA star wars video games stories have been lacking for quite a damn while... 

Edited by DingoLadd

14 hours ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

This is what video games are going to become the more expensive budgets get to be. People are going to try and create ways to monetize well beyond point of sale. It sucks, but that's jus the way it is.

Companies are creating far better, far larger games than battlefront without microtransactions. Just look at Horizon Zero Dawn, The Witcher 3. They charge good sums for DLC, but produce fantastic content. It doesn't have to be that way.