Star Wars Battlefront II

JBURGE

1 minute ago, showtime said:

That's not fair to everyone.  Some people who are purchasing the game don't care about DLC, pay walls, etc.  They just want to have fun with family and friends.

Yeah I don't really like that mentality at all. Everyone who is buying the game is their own person. I don't have to buy the game if I don't want to but I have no right to tell other people not to. Some people just enjoy the game and frankly don't care about how the game is made and the microtransactions and just want to have fun, free to play or not. Honestly people who have a major issue with it are the minority, the majority are going to be casual gamers who probably haven't even heard of this controversy or what it even means.

Nothing against anyone in this thread (it's tame, just ranting a bit), any gamer online, or backing the game companies.

But Jesus it would be nice to be able to go to Reddit, etc and not read 99.9% salt. It gets worse and worse. /r/gaming is a cesspool so is 95% of game subs. A lot of it is deserved but some of it is just snowball crap for karma and wanting to be part of the misery factory or whatever.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, showtime said:

That's not fair to everyone.  Some people who are purchasing the game don't care about DLC, pay walls, etc.  They just want to have fun with family and friends.

The garbage they're trying to pull is out there for everyone to see - if you purchase this game you (not you specifically) have no place to ever ***** about micro transactions ever again. 

The release of this game is the epitome of what's wrong with modern multiplayer gaming and this trend isn't going anywhere until the community takes a stand.

Obviously you're all free to do whatever you want with your money but I'd suggest looking elsewhere return then buying this game. 

9 hours ago, zelbell said:

Meanwhile they also reduced the end-game campaign credit reward from 20k to 5k... 75% too.

Grind remains the same. They just moved both goalposts.

I was eyeballing the game for the PS4 potentially... now it's a firm pass from me.

Love all the attention and memes it's getting right now though.

4 hours ago, Remixxxxxxx said:

The garbage they're trying to pull is out there for everyone to see - if you purchase this game you (not you specifically) have no place to ever ***** about micro transactions ever again. 

The release of this game is the epitome of what's wrong with modern multiplayer gaming and this trend isn't going anywhere until the community takes a stand.

Obviously you're all free to do whatever you want with your money but I'd suggest looking elsewhere return then buying this game. 

Eh, I'm sure a good chunk of the people who DO end up getting the game aren't any happier about this than we are, but I can definitely see how that temptation strikes for some people. The game ITSELF looks dope as hell, but I don't wanna have to grind for characters I should already have access to from the start because they're staple characters (Luke, Vader, Leia, Chewy, etc.) or deal with guys spending hundreds of dollars on loot boxes to get an unfair advantage from the get-go. It all depends on how far you're willing to cave in to corporate greed to have fun, I guess. I was willing to forgo the whole P2W BS as long as I got my Vader-romping fix online, but literally forcing me to choose between characters and upgrades with my game credits? 

Like I said, they'd literally be better off just releasing a character pass separately so I can worry about grinding for my upgrades. Yes even with the guys running around with invisibility, temporary invincibility, weapon/jetpack boosts, etc. right from the start (and you KNOW there's gonna be some). It'd still be nickel n' diming BS, but at least then, it'd be no different from other publisher's shady DLC practices (since the loot boxes can be earned in-game). This is a whole new level of shady.

If you wanna blame anyone for the current state of multiplayer gaming, blame Activision. They're the ones who set the whole DLC/microtransaction blueprint for others to cash in on IIRC, companies like EA just found a way to ratchet it up a notch. Even Overwatch made a TON of money off loot boxes before this.

1 hour ago, KManX89 said:

Even Overwatch made a TON of money off loot boxes before this.

Loot boxes in Overwatch are 100% cosmetic and have no impact on game play.  When you purchase Overwatch EVERY character, map, and game mode is unlocked instantly.  

It's not the same thing... at all.

• Like 1

So. I kind of see their point. How is it that much different than playing Call of Duty or Battlefield and having to level up to unlock guns or attachments? There are other heroes that you can use until you unlock the upper tier and I don't think it's a huge jump from needing to be level 65 on Call of Duty to get that great weapon. Obviously I don't want games to include it because I think it's just a slippery slope once you start locking a bunch of parts of the game that you can unlock by paying more money and as I've said I won't be getting this game. 

2 hours ago, showtime said:

Loot boxes in Overwatch are 100% cosmetic and have no impact on game play.  When you purchase Overwatch EVERY character, map, and game mode is unlocked instantly.  

It's not the same thing... at all.

That's my deal. IDC if they rake off them as long as they don't affect anything competitive wise. I know the slippery slope is out there that they'll move further though. Kinda of like paid mods with Bethesda. Neither move the needle for me other than slippery slope fears

1 hour ago, LeeEvans said:

So. I kind of see their point. How is it that much different than playing Call of Duty or Battlefield and having to level up to unlock guns or attachments? There are other heroes that you can use until you unlock the upper tier and I don't think it's a huge jump from needing to be level 65 on Call of Duty to get that great weapon. Obviously I don't want games to include it because I think it's just a slippery slope once you start locking a bunch of parts of the game that you can unlock by paying more money and as I've said I won't be getting this game. 

I don't think it takes that long to unlock guns in COD. At least it didn't in the last one I played (it's been a while). Also the progression doesn't come from simply playing. It's tied to RNG loot crates, which means that the progression is not guaranteed. It's a garbage system. In COD you level up and unlock multiple guns through the levels. In this you would have to grind for ages just to unlock a single hero. 

Just now, sunnygsm said:

I don't think it takes that long to unlock guns in COD. At least it didn't in the last one I played (it's been a while). Also the progression doesn't come from simply playing. It's tied to RNG loot crates, which means that the progression is not guaranteed. It's a garbage system. In COD you level up and unlock multiple guns through the levels. In this you would have to grind for ages just to unlock a single hero. 

I definitely agree about the loot crate aspect, it's terrible and the fact it was originally going to take 40 hours to unlock heroes is ridiculous. I know certain weapons in Battlefield require you to be level ten for that specific class and that can take a decent amount of time but again that's not based on random luck. It's certainly worse than the examples that I gave but I don't know if it's to a level that people are freaking out. I'm certainly an EA apologist and am just wondering to myself how much of a stretch it is from other games. The combination of the two systems is absolutely the worst part of the game. 

1 hour ago, LeeEvans said:

Locking side characters like Bossk, Bobba Fett, Krennic, etc. is one thing, but locking staple characters of the series behind grindwalls is absolute BS especially with a P2W system thrown into the mix. All the time spent unlocking a character that, for all intents and purposes should've already been playable from the start could've gone towards building your character(s) through star cards. Which BTW, you have the added burden of dealing with the odd level 3 or 4 Vader/Kylo/Rey/Luke player just to unlock them, which makes it an even bigger pain in the arse. Then once you've finally done that, you gotta rinse, repeat just to be able to upgrade them and have a fighting chance against gamblers. All this for characters that should already be playable from the get-go.

Again, that would be like locking Mario, Link, Samus, etc., in Smash Bros., Raiden, Scorpion, Sub Zero, Liu Kang, etc. in MK, Ryu, Ken, Chun, etc. in SF., Goku, Vegeta, Frieza, Cell, etc. in DBFZ. There's a very specific reason why you don't lock these characters, same reason why Luke, Vader, etc. shouldn't be locked.