Star Wars Battlefront II

JBURGE

11 hours ago, Remixxxxxxx said:

The garbage they're trying to pull is out there for everyone to see - if you purchase this game you (not you specifically) have no place to ever ***** about micro transactions ever again. 

The release of this game is the epitome of what's wrong with modern multiplayer gaming and this trend isn't going anywhere until the community takes a stand.

Obviously you're all free to do whatever you want with your money but I'd suggest looking elsewhere return then buying this game. 

It is garbage. This is the worst microtransactions have been, and it makes me mad.

However I am still going to get the game because I want to play Star Wars. I don't care, I just won't buy packs. 

The bigger problem here is monopolies in the gaming industry, specifically with EA. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, sunnygsm said:
2 hours ago, LeeEvans said:

So. I kind of see their point. How is it that much different than playing Call of Duty or Battlefield and having to level up to unlock guns or attachments? There are other heroes that you can use until you unlock the upper tier and I don't think it's a huge jump from needing to be level 65 on Call of Duty to get that great weapon. Obviously I don't want games to include it because I think it's just a slippery slope once you start locking a bunch of parts of the game that you can unlock by paying more money and as I've said I won't be getting this game. 

I don't think it takes that long to unlock guns in COD. At least it didn't in the last one I played (it's been a while). Also the progression doesn't come from simply playing. It's tied to RNG loot crates, which means that the progression is not guaranteed. It's a garbage system. In COD you level up and unlock multiple guns through the levels. In this you would have to grind for ages just to unlock a single hero. 

Just to ad on/clarify, in COD WW2 anyways, you can get guns in loot packs but it's all cosmetic. You still need to wait to progress levels to unlock the gun. They may have a benefit like increased weapon XP on them, but it doesn't effect gameplay. 

COD Advanced Warfare was a whole other issue - those loot crates gave you gun mods, which is essentially what Battlefront is doing. 

I get the whole unlocking heroes thing, I really do. I just figured it would be unlocked through levels, and not with the same currency used to open packs....

23 minutes ago, KManX89 said:

Locking side characters like Bossk, Bobba Fett, Krennic, etc. is one thing, but locking staple characters of the series behind grindwalls is absolute BS especially with a P2W system thrown into the mix. All the time spent unlocking a character that, for all intents and purposes should've already been playable from the start could've gone towards building your character(s) through star cards. Which BTW, you have the added burden of dealing with the odd level 3 or 4 Vader/Kylo/Rey/Luke player just to unlock them, which makes it an even bigger pain in the arse. Then once you've finally done that, you gotta rinse, repeat just to be able to upgrade them and have a fighting chance against gamblers. All this for characters that should already be playable from the get-go.

Again, that would be like locking Mario, Link, Samus, etc., in Smash Bros., Raiden, Scorpion, Sub Zero, Liu Kang, etc. in MK, Ryu, Ken, Chun, etc. in SF., Goku, Vegeta, Frieza, Cell, etc. in DBFZ. There's a very specific reason why you don't lock these characters, same reason why Luke, Vader, etc. shouldn't be locked.

Yeah I totally get that. I think the thing that really makes me angry is that they have two systems that both make you grind to improve your player and that use the same currency. One of the other is enough for me stomach and I don't think is too much worse than other games but the combination of the two is sickly and just ridiculously greedy. 

4 minutes ago, JBURGE25 said:

Just to ad on/clarify, in COD WW2 anyways, you can get guns in loot packs but it's all cosmetic. You still need to wait to progress levels to unlock the gun. They may have a benefit like increased weapon XP on them, but it doesn't effect gameplay. 

COD Advanced Warfare was a whole other issue - those loot crates gave you gun mods, which is essentially what Battlefront is doing. 

I get the whole unlocking heroes thing, I really do. I just figured it would be unlocked through levels, and not with the same currency used to open packs....

Yeah, the same is for Battlefield 1. It's all cosmetic. I was personally referencing that you still need a grind of some sort to unlock the top tier weapons via leveling up and that it isn't entirely dissimilar to grinding for credits for heroes. The huge difference and worst part of Battlefront is that you need to do that grind for heroes in addition to the grind to level up the individual classes you can play. 

3 minutes ago, LeeEvans said:

Yeah, the same is for Battlefield 1. It's all cosmetic. I was personally referencing that you still need a grind of some sort to unlock the top tier weapons via leveling up and that it isn't entirely dissimilar to grinding for credits for heroes. The huge difference and worst part of Battlefront is that you need to do that grind for heroes in addition to the grind to level up the individual classes you can play. 

Yeah it's a joke of a system. Such a shame considering the gameplay looks really good. I will probably just play mostly starfighter because I enjoyed that more until they sort out the progression crap.

Apparently there was never a refund button for preordered titles and only appears when they're released?

Sounds like people just made a crapstorm out of nothing. I hate it when people do this and just create a giant circlejerk making the legit complaints look dumb too.

27 minutes ago, Mossburg said:

Apparently there was never a refund button for preordered titles and only appears when they're released?

Sounds like people just made a crapstorm out of nothing. I hate it when people do this and just create a giant circlejerk making the legit complaints look dumb too.

This. The internet gets so outraged that they start making false claims and attacking people. Just weakens an another legitimate gripe. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, sunnygsm said:
38 minutes ago, Mossburg said:

This. The internet gets so outraged that they start making false claims and attacking people. Just weakens an another legitimate gripe. 

This is going to be a pretty unpopular opinion, but I don't get why people feel they have a right to tell EA what to do. Lots of companies do crap like this because it makes them money. If people don't buy the game, then of course you have to adjust your model. 

I can cry all I want about not being to play as Darth Vader, but I didn't make the game. I can make an educated decision whether or not to buy the game. It's not my civic right for EA to release the game with every character unlocked lmao and people are acting like it is. 

Plenty of people pay for games like Skylanders and MUT packs and Clash of Clans, and spend hundreds on the game that they can't afford. Those people are idiots.

Edited by JBURGE25

2 hours ago, NormSizedMidget said:

That's my deal. IDC if they rake off them as long as they don't affect anything competitive wise. I know the slippery slope is out there that they'll move further though. Kinda of like paid mods with Bethesda. Neither move the needle for me other than slippery slope fears

That's the way I look at it, too. What started out "innocently" enough with Bethesda's horse armor DLC (the one that started it all) inevitably ended up getting abused. Now we get microtransactions and DLC up the arse like we all feared would happen, and it was Activision who first started abusing it with the first MW. It was the game that started the whole expansion DLC trend IIRC.

I don't think the slippery slope applies with Activision's CoD DLC practices, though, the seeds were already planted. This is just a shadier version of the non-cosmetic ATVI DLC. 

13 minutes ago, JBURGE25 said:

This is going to be a pretty unpopular opinion, but I don't get why people feel they have a right to tell EA what to do. Lots of companies do crap like this because it makes them money. If people don't buy the game, then of course you have to adjust your model. 

I can cry all I want about not being to play as Darth Vader, but I didn't make the game. I can make an educated decision whether or not to buy the game. It's not my civic right for EA to release the game with every character unlocked lmao and people are acting like it is. 

Plenty of people pay for games like Skylanders and MUT packs and Clash of Clans, and spend hundreds on the game that they can't afford. Those people are idiots.

I agree and disagree. I simply won't be getting it. The issue is that, like with Madden, EA has an exclusive licence to Star Wars games. Anyone that wants to play a modern star wars game has to put up with this. They're using their position to exploit their customers. They're just pushing it too far. That and integrating loot crates into a multiplayer progression system is unconventional. 

7 minutes ago, KManX89 said:

That's the way I look at it, too. What started out "innocently" enough with Bethesda's horse armor DLC (the one that started it all) inevitably ended up getting abused. Now we get microtransactions and DLC up the arse like we all feared would happen, and it was Activision who first started abusing it with the first MW. It was the game that started the whole expansion DLC trend IIRC.

I don't think the slippery slope applies with Activision's CoD DLC practices, though, the seeds were already planted. This is just a shadier version of the non-cosmetic ATVI DLC. 

Fair enough. I guess my point to put it short is the outrage now against MTXs as a whole doesn't match what's happening, minutes BFII and some others. 

For the most part I don't feel like I'm screwed, basically ever, by them. But I understand the fear of what they can/will become. Hell as I understand it, since there's so much outrage against even cosmetics there's an idea out there but the publishers that you might as well just have them lean to p2w because "everyone's gonna be mad anyways and these sell far better." That type of thing.

At the same time I understand they've basically accepted a $60 cap for decades now. Literally nothing else I can think of hasn't inflated expect video game prices. So I suppose that's the idea. Fill the gap with MTXs and dlc. I sort of get it, if I'm being honest.

37 minutes ago, sunnygsm said:

It's so common it's not even funny. I myself have probably discredited stuff with simple Google searches that were being repeated rampantly all over. 

The last line just nails it for me. It drowns out the legitimate. It becomes almost, idk, conspiracy theory at times, for lack of a better description.

Like I would never bother going on Reddit and mentioning that games haven't been adjusted for inflation since I was buying NES games in the early 90s while everything else on Earth. But video game companies are pure greed. It doesn't jive. Which doesn't mean they aren't greedy or don't have massive issues. But let's be intellectually honest to a degree and allow that point to be made. It's a real damn thing.

Well, well, well, guess who's being associated with child gambling on Twitter? :D

Ovcu0PBoZT7z5KqNDukM6ZyaPmyq-G2vtSayCJk-

EA are beyond giving 2 shyts about their rep since they see us as nothing more than walking wallets, but we all know Disney cares about good will, the LAST thing they want is to be associated with children's gambling (which is essentially what this is). This might be the kick in the pants Mickey needs to pull the Star Wars license from EA's dirty mits (one can only hope).

And short of the feds getting involved, that sadly may be our only hope at this point. 

Edited by KManX89