Can Steelers win Super Bowl LV?

Championshiporbust

Don’t think so. I don’t trust Ben, nor do I trust their run game enough to think they have a chance of beating KC. The Chiefs would massacre them. Horrible matchup for PIT. They’ll excel against teams that try to outmuscle them, but teams with perimeter talent will expose them defensively. And their offense has thrived on broken coverages and jump balls all year. Not sure that’s sustainable.

Side note: I think the Browns beat them Sunday.

9 hours ago, Championshiporbust said:

The Pittsburgh Steelers look good, they haven't won a Super Bowl in 12 years, haven't been in a Super Bowl in 10 years. 

Can Big Ben win one more and ride in the sunset before Lamar Jackson and Joe Burrow dominate the AFC North?

Does anyone want to join my football pool?...

19 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

Why?  Who have the Packers beaten so far?  They might be as good as they have looked, or they could be just like they have been in other years where they make it to the playoffs and get ceremoniously bounced by a team that actually knows how to play defense.
(or are you trying the reverse jinx?  Hahaha.)

They haven't beat really anybody (the Saints are mediocre) but they are the most complete team this year.

16 hours ago, BringTheHouse said:

Don’t think so. I don’t trust Ben, nor do I trust their run game enough to think they have a chance of beating KC. The Chiefs would massacre them. Horrible matchup for PIT. They’ll excel against teams that try to outmuscle them, but teams with perimeter talent will expose them defensively. And their offense has thrived on broken coverages and jump balls all year. Not sure that’s sustainable.

You clearly haven't watched a single one of our games this year...

• Like 1

17 hours ago, BringTheHouse said:

I agree here, their defense hasn't looked great vs. some of the worst teams in the league, and I just can't believe their offense has the firepower to win in a shootout with one of the top tier teams. They will probably make the playoffs, but I think they lose their first game as the 6th seed against the Titans.

A lot can change in the next 12 weeks, just look what's transpired the first 5.

So Yes it is possible,  still like a 1/2 dozen more teams chances at this point though. Bump this thread  week 17 instead of making another for a more informed answer.

On 10/13/2020 at 1:29 PM, Shanedorf said:

Conversely, they haven't lost to a bad team either.

Yes, but have they looked particularly good against any of those bad teams? What was their most impressive showing? They have talent on both sides, but I'm still not sure how well their playing right now through 4 games.

I think all that matters this part of the season is stacking wins and avoiding injuries, and they have done that. Winner of the coming game vs the Browns should definitely be firmly in the AFC contenders picture.

1 hour ago, wackywabbit said:

Yes, but have they looked particularly good against any of those bad teams? What was their most impressive showing? They have talent on both sides, but I'm still not sure how well their playing right now through 4 games.

I think all that matters this part of the season is stacking wins and avoiding injuries, and they have done that. Winner of the coming game vs the Browns should definitely be firmly in the AFC contenders picture.

I agree about stacking wins and that you can't focus on schedule this early.

Look at the Packers:

Its interesting that Green Bay gives up 34 to the 1-4 Vikings and 30 to the Saints without Thomas but they are legit.

Maybe it was dominating the '85 Bears and the 2000 Ravens? (Sorry, I meant the Lions and the Falcons)

We know as much about the Steelers as the Packers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hunter2_1 said:

What's the run game like so far?

@wwhickok @BlaqOptic

I'm neither of those jabronis, but I'll toss my opinion in. The run game has been pretty average. We've had a 100 yard rusher in most of our games, but we haven't really been that good. I think our run game will improve, though. The offense is still kind of gelling, which is pretty impressive IMO. 

• Like 2

On 10/13/2020 at 5:50 PM, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Yes, the team that is barely surviving against Daniel Jones, Jeff Driskel and Carson Wentz are contenders. It really seems like the NFL world is trying to force this "Steelers are contenders" narrative down our throats, when in reality I don't think they're contenders at all.

They're failing to look impressive even against horrible teams (DEN, NYG and PHI). They have a below-average run game. Big Ben is among the league's worst deep ball passers this year, and their defense is massively overrated considering the competition they've faced.

Will they make the playoffs? Who knows - the AFCN is strong this year and the schedules between Baltimore and Cleveland are very soft. I don't think they're contenders for the SB though.

Quite possibly the most depressing part of this year is reading that you compared Wentz to Daniel Jones and Jeff Driskel, instinctively rushing to defend Wentz, and then subsequently realizing he 100% deserves to be mentioned among the worst QBs in the league.

Crap, man.  

Also to the Steelers......I wanna say yes. I think they have a way better shot of knocking off Balt than they would of beating KC in the playoffs. I can't see the Pitt offense keeping up with the KC offense. But hey who knows.  Revisit this in a few weeks after they've played more than just the worst teams in the NFL. 

• Like 1