If we cant land Lawrence which vet qb do we kick the tires on

Vladimir L

Id like to build our oline with our first 3 picks. As for WR we can pick up Allen. We dont need a star wr just a solid 60 catch 800 yard guy. Gibson is set as our rb of the future and te I think we can find one in the 4th or convert a big wr to te.

Matt Ryan

Stafford

Carr

Dalton

Dak

All seem like they could be options

Carr? He's got a big contract in Oakland and doing well.

Dak is likely to get franchised again worst case. I'd bet he's back in Dallas.

The others? Who knows. Ryan and Stafford's contracts make it difficult. Stafford's might have an out, but they may not take it yet if they don't get Lawrence. 

That leaves ... Dalton? Great.

1 hour ago, Troublez said:

Is this Draft Lawrence or bust?

i think we will win more games then the jets unfortunately. We always suck but are never the best at sucking. We cant even be good at sucking. Just suck but not suck good enough to get the best Qb. Imagine if we just lost ONE more game to get burrow. We never tank, I DONT GET IT.

• Like 1

Kyle Allen. 

I don’t believe they’re going to be in position to land Lawrence, and I think he’s really the only draft prospect that I believe is supremely gifted enough to transcend the laughable lack of talent here. 

The only other option is the bridge, so we can use at least the next offseason to dedicate entirely to raising the overall offensive talent level to better prepare the roster for drafting our future Franchise Guy™️ in 2022. And I think that’s what we should do. 

That leaves the question of who the bridge QB is. These are all good quality veteran names being bandied about, but I just don’t really see the point. The roster is really bad, and I think we learned on Sunday that just adding a more experienced QB is not going to change anything to make us reasonably competitive. 

We’d surely be a few games better with a lot of these guys, but who cares? 7 or 8 wins with a veteran QB is doing nothing for us but taking us further away from being able to draft the young QB of our dreams. I’d say just stick with Allen. He won’t cost us anything and we will be properly bad. And maybe Rivera/Turner will learn some important lessons for the future about being patient with young QBs in the process. 

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Kyle Allen. 

I don’t believe they’re going to be in position to land Lawrence, and I think he’s really the only draft prospect that I believe is supremely gifted enough to transcend the laughable lack of talent here. 

The only other option is the bridge, so we can use at least the next offseason to dedicate entirely to raising the overall offensive talent level to better prepare the roster for drafting our future Franchise Guy™️ in 2022. And I think that’s what we should do. 

That leaves the question of who the bridge QB is. These are all good quality veteran names being bandied about, but I just don’t really see the point. The roster is really bad, and I think we learned on Sunday that just adding a more experienced QB is not going to change anything to make us reasonably competitive. 

We’d surely be a few games better with a lot of these guys, but who cares? 7 or 8 wins with a veteran QB is doing nothing for us but taking us further away from being able to draft the young QB of our dreams. I’d say just stick with Allen. He won’t cost us anything and we will be properly bad. And maybe Rivera/Turner will learn some important lessons for the future about being patient with young QBs in the process. 

super troopers yes GIF by Fox Searchlight

2 hours ago, e16bball said:

Kyle Allen. 

Yeah, I think if we aren't in a position for Lawrence, I would push it to next year and just use this draft and free agency to add talent.  I'm not so confident on taking an FCS QB, and Fields reminds me too much of RGIII.  We also can't work a trade up......we need all of those assets.  

I would be intrigued with Jamie Newman in the third round this year though.  Having an entire fall and winter to prepare with a QB coach is going to be interesting.  I know conventional wisdom says that he should have stayed at school, but I do wonder how that extra time working is going to pay off.  I would've loved Newman more if he stayed at Georgia and worked with Monken, but if we got a good deal on Newman I wouldn't write him off completely.  

Fields is a better pocket passer than RG3 and has better footwork than him and of course Haskins. I wasn’t sold on Fields as a QB early on last year but he made me a believer as the season wore on. The way he played as a pocket passer after spraining his MCL and dissecting Wisconsin’s & Clemson’s defenses was impressive. People should go back and re-watch those games. RG3 couldn’t be a pocket passer when he was forced to be one the first Month of 2013 & in 2014 in Gruden’s offense, Fields can do that.

He’s a poor man’s Russell Wilson to me. People assume that bc he’s athletic, can run the zone read, escape pressure to get a lot of yac and extend plays that he isn’t a good pocket passer with hood accuracy and that’s not true.

Edited by turtle28