Week 6 GDT - Los Angeles Rams at San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

6 hours ago, jrry32 said:

Might be the Center. I know Blythe looked competent next to Sullivan, but when Allen stepped in, Blythe turned into straight trash (until we moved him to Center; now, he's competent again).

No, Garland has been the center ever since Richburg got injured last year. Only line-up change is Williams and Brunskill@RG, which has been a mild disaster to the point that I almost wish we still had Mike Person. 

The only reasonable explanation I can come up with for our inept play is that Garland was hurt all of TC so they moved Brunskill to center for all of camp and that screwed with the continuity and timing. There is just no cohesion from all 5 guys, from play to play. And its been 5 weeks now together, playing so I would think we'd start to see them get it going by now.

But I'm definitely ready to see McKivitiz@RG at this point. And if you have to let Brunskill slide over to RT, so be it. McG is another topic of conversation all together that I really don't want to go in to. But I'm ready to see someone else@RT at least for a game or two.   

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, El Ramster said:

Hindsight now.. But would you guys do the trade again ? (buckner for colts). 

The problem is, I don't think that many people thought there was a need to trade him. Everyone just assumed that we would re-sign him by taking out other guys who were hitting are cap unnecessarily hard. So you take Buck's new deal and it replaces someone like Dee Ford, or Kwon, or AA. But then we re-signed AA, which was fine...you could still make it work based on structure, an we had restructured Kwon...they clearly felt different about being able to re-sign him, so I'll roll with that. 

That being said, I wonder if we didn't get a little light on the return given Ramsey, Tunsil and now Adams' returns...though the first we got was also higher than any of those. I wasn't a big fan of the Kinlaw selection. I think he'll be good, but I didn't think he was the best fit for us. 

I am not upset at the trade...I'm still slightly surprised by it...but I get it. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, El Ramster said:

Yes. If we had Buckner, we would still be 2-3. We were a lousy defense 3 out of the 4 years DeFo was here. He's a incredible talent but not enough of a talent to migate the other injuries. I think I mentioned before TC that there were a handful of players that were invaluable and who we couldn't afford to lose for any significant amount of time..

1. Bosa

2. Jimmy

3. Ford

4. Kittle

5. Warner/Juice

Bosa played 5 quarters of football before he was done. Jimmy missed two games. Ford hasnt played since Week 1 and might be done for the rest of the year. Kittle missed two games.

Buckner being here doesn't help us navigate any of that. We maybe have a couple of more sacks and a better interior win rate but without the two dynamic DEs benefiting from his interior pressure and helping create alot of their own, we're still not finishing those pressures with sacks and getting off the field on 3rd downs, which we were exceptional at last year. 

And in the long run, I think Kinlaw and Aiyuk will be well worth it...

Edited by 757-NINER

2 hours ago, El Ramster said:

We got to sign Arik armstead long term, and we got to draft kinlaw out of it. So two high end talents for the cost of one. I would take that, no doubt

I think the original plan was to draft an OT. Wirfs was available. We knew Staley was gonna retire 

But then as the off-season went on I think we had a good idea we were going to get Trent Williams, so we called an audible and grabbed kinlaw AND the fact we traded down let us get Aiyuk. If we don't trade down one spot and take kinlaw, then we don't have the ammo to move up for aiyuk. 

So we got kinlaw, armstead, aiyuk out of the deal. I think that's a damn good trade 

13 hours ago, N4L said:

Its funny, because last year the Rams had a ton of issues with their OL. Goff is getting rid of the ball faster, and throwing more underneath passes this year than he has in previous years (8.8 yards in the air per attempt last year, and 5.9 yards in the air per attempt this year, which apparently is the lowest since this they started recording this in 2016) I think they are trying to mask the deficiencies with their OL. I would look to this as something we can take advantage of.

Goff has a very slow release. Its not the slowest ive ever seen, but its slow. big windup. He has a good arm but a slow release and throwing a lot of short passes is exactly how Fred warner got his only career pick 6 last year in week 15. I would like to see us mix in some cover 2 and allow our corners to be hyper aggressive on the underneath passes knowing they have help over the top. We wont do it, but we should. We need to have our guys like Kinlaw and armstead who are very tall anticipate these passes and try and bat them into the air

Goff is completely different QB when he is pressured. @jrry32 always says that every QB struggles when they get pressured. While true, Goff feels the heat more than most. He is incredible when he never has to adjust his footwork to be anything other than completely on script. What I mean by that is that he is good at throwing on the run on designed roll outs. He is good at throwing the ball in a clean pocket. As soon as any defender forces him to adjust his footwork in a way that would be different than exactly how he would do it 1000 times while he was alone in his own backyard, he struggles. His mechanics break down and he is inaccurate. Goff does not know how to use different arm angles. He knows one way to drop back, one way to roll out, and one way to throw the ball. So a huge part of the gameplan needs to be getting goff to hold the ball and then getting him off his spot. 

It sounds like you haven't watched a lot of Goff this year. His air yards per attempt are down because he's hitting his checkdowns quickly and decisively when defenses give it to us. Goff has taken some major strides when it comes to not being greedy and taking what he's being given. It's why his completion percentage has made such a jump. In the past, Goff used to look for the deep and intermediate pass and would only throw the checkdown as a last resort (often leading to his checkdown getting blown up because he threw too late). As for pressure, he's improved there too this year. Like any QB, you can mess his game up with pressure, but he's doing a better job of dealing with it. As for the idea that he has a slow release and can't change up his motion . . .

10 hours ago, El Ramster said:

Nah i'd would of kept Buckner and i would of draft Claypool over Aiyuk but that's just me. 

Biggest thing in hindsight of last couple of years wouldn't of traded for dee ford and given huge extension or if we talking about one move you would do if you could not taking solomon thomas instead taking Mahomes or Watson. 

On 10/17/2020 at 2:54 PM, El Ramster said:

He wouldn't fix what our defense is lacking. Would we still do the Dee Ford trade, or would we use that pick to draft a pass rusher instead, now that's the question. 

31 minutes ago, rudyZ said:

He wouldn't fix what our defense is lacking. Would we still do the Dee Ford trade, or would we use that pick to draft a pass rusher instead, now that's the question. 

Pretty simple answer with hindsight in mind imo. I was hoping we’d just sign Preston Smith which looking back still would have been better than trading for Dee.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Gore Whore 21 said:

So we promoted Daniels to the active roster but he’s not active. Someone must have been sniffing around.

Yeah, doesn't make a whole a lot if sense. And he could have been used today.

LOL, so Mullens back to being the back up QB after losing his spot for one week. Why did he lose his spot in the first place after one bad game? He's literally been ahead of Beathard since mid-2018 and then Shanahan demotes him for one week to only promote him back to #2.